Texas

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Assisting someone or going yourself is a distinction without a difference. A 19 year old college student who was drugged and raped at college can drive herself to get an abortion, but mom or dad will be artested if they drive her?

Again, no!

The Lubbock commissioners – Jason Corley, Terence Kovar and Jordan Rackler – voted for the ordinance, which can only be enforced by private citizens who file lawsuits against people assisting pregnant Texans seeking an abortion. Commissioner Gilbert Flores, and County Judge Curtis Parrish abstained from voting.

So someone would 1) have to know someone was pregnant and 2) have to know someone assisted them in traveling out of state for an abortion, and 3) go to the trouble to file a lawsuit. And the lawsuit would only be against the person assisting, not the person who got the abortion.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Another article courtesy of Daily Kos:

Before the vote, Neal Burt, civil chief for the Lubbock County District Attorney’s office, asked commissioners for additional time to look over the ordinance. He expressed concern about the language and recommended amendments to it, as the county was already embroiled in a federal lawsuit in which his boss, District Attorney Sunshine Stanek was named, along with several other county attorneys. In that suit, abortion rights organizations are seeking legal protection to continue fundraising and paying for out-of-state abortion expenses.

“Words matter when we’re looking at criminal laws, as we are in that case, and the enforcement,” Burt explained.

However, Corley moved forward with a vote.

And now they have a mess on their hands. The fallout is going to be very interesting to watch unfold.
I hope those responsible catch bloody hell.

abortion.jpeg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
In that suit, abortion rights organizations are seeking legal protection to continue fundraising and paying for out-of-state abortion expenses.

Just my opinion, but I think this is who is being targeted with this ordinance. That said, not sure how anyone would know if PP sent money from out of state. And how it would it be enforced?

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
And how it would it be enforced?
Well, you did answer that previously. The enforcement process is taken out of the hands of the government and delegated to citizens. How that would work is unclear, as it has yet to be tested, AFAIK. My guess is that the resources for pursuing legal action would almost certainly come from religious organizations, in a further effort to erode the wall between church and state. The one wall we really need.

Audi since religious organizations are tax-exempt, meaning we have to make up that revenue with our own taxes, the law ultimately uses our tax money to fund its enforcement. It is all so wrong in so many ways.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Again, no!

The Lubbock commissioners – Jason Corley, Terence Kovar and Jordan Rackler – voted for the ordinance, which can only be enforced by private citizens who file lawsuits against people assisting pregnant Texans seeking an abortion. Commissioner Gilbert Flores, and County Judge Curtis Parrish abstained from voting.

So someone would 1) have to know someone was pregnant and 2) have to know someone assisted them in traveling out of state for an abortion, and 3) go to the trouble to file a lawsuit. And the lawsuit would only be against the person assisting, not the person who got the abortion.

Ok, I breezed through it and didn’t read the finer details. Guilty. But… that sounds even more stupid. Why not make it even harder by saying “And they have to be wearing sandals while assisting in the abortion”. Stupid, right? So you can file a lawsuit against your neighbor because they took their daughter to get an abortion?

If this law is so impractical as to be useless, then it’s stupid. And if it’s going to be enforced at all and people are going to be dragged into court by people who have no business determining what a woman does or doesn’t do with her insides, then it’s really f******g stupid. And in both cases, it’s virtue signaling with no practical purpose other than to f*** with people. In this case, mostly women, but also anyone who isn’t a vindictive and controlling asshole. And pregnant women facing a health or mental crisis are going to be the biggest victims, especially if they happen to be of the social status that doesn’t have friends to “make things go away”.

Seriously, if the good people of wherever the hell it is Texas stand for this garbage, I’m glad they’re there and I’m here, and I’m sure they feel the same.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Well, you did answer that previously.

I was specifically meaning how it would be enforced if say PP in NM were to send someone in TX say a VISA gift card for travel expenses. Sure if someone in TX knew about it they could file suit, but how they would go after an entity in another state is the question.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So you can file a lawsuit against your neighbor because they took their daughter to get an abortion?

I also wonder how it would be proven. I can't see a clinic, especially one in another state, providing that information to a plaintiff. Pretty sure it would be against HIPPA anyway.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
I also wonder how it would be proven.

It does not necessarily have to be proven. All the "concerned" citizen has to do is file a suit and carry it forward. Even if it is not actually proven (bearing in mind that civil actions turn on preponderance of evidence, not the beyond reasonable doubt bar set for criminal cases), the victim defendant still has to attend and pay for counsel (or risk a default). In other words, "laws" like this constitute legalized harassment.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There will be protest lawsuits filed when crafty liberals and groups - usually of the type republicans and even some democrats hate - find ways to file lawsuits against republicans. Maybe they find one of the folks involved took their daughter to get an abortion elsewhere. Maybe someone pays their mistress to get an abortion and she shops the voicemail or text to the media. Then what? Big waste of everyone’s time.

50 years of precedent and actual health implications and we’re arguing this BS like it’s 1829. Abortion is a necessary thing for reasons the ardent anti-abortion folks are either unable or unwilling to understand.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here I thought trans were only supposed to stay out of sports and bathrooms?

Texas School Will Allow Trans Student In Musical After Major Backlash​

Yoused

up
Reaction score
The Texas GOP executive committee voted against a measure that would ban Republicans from associating with Holocaust deniers and Nazi sympathizers. The committee, by a vote of 32 to 29, removed the clause from a pro-Israel resolution … (that) would have banned members of the party from associating with people who "espouse or tolerate antisemitism, pro-Nazi sympathies or Holocaust denial," …

(Some) members of the executive committee … said that words like "tolerate" and "antisemitism" are too vague, according to The Texas Tribune … akin to "leftist" tactics and would be problematic … "It could put you on a slippery slope," committee member Dan Tully said.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Texas GOP executive committee voted against a measure that would ban Republicans from associating with Holocaust deniers and Nazi sympathizers. The committee, by a vote of 32 to 29, removed the clause from a pro-Israel resolution … (that) would have banned members of the party from associating with people who "espouse or tolerate antisemitism, pro-Nazi sympathies or Holocaust denial," …
(Some) members of the executive committee … said that words like "tolerate" and "antisemitism" are too vague, according to The Texas Tribune … akin to "leftist" tactics and would be problematic … "It could put you on a slippery slope," committee member Dan Tully said.

Guess Texas Republicans wanted everybody to know that their tiny tent welcomes Nazis, in case anybody was wondering. Nobody was. We know. Nice of them to make it official though.

Ignoring the obvious and attempting to make it about freedom of speech and association, I'd like to see a similar resolution on hanging out with child molesters to see how that vote goes. One state's child molester is another state's within the boundaries of legal consent. Do they really want to lose that voter block?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Guess Texas Republicans wanted everybody to know that their tiny tent welcomes Nazis, in case anybody was wondering. Nobody was. We know. Nice of them to make it official though.

Ignoring the obvious and attempting to make it about freedom of speech and association, I'd like to see a similar resolution on hanging out with child molesters to see how that vote goes. One state's child molester is another state's within the boundaries of legal consent. Do they really want to lose that voter block?
well they were fine with trump and how many Child molesters he hired and supported and himself. Lets not forget supporting churches with rampant sexual abuse.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
Totally off the rails,

An Austin judge gave a woman an exception to state law on Thursday, allowing her to receive abortion care due to her fetus having a lethal medical condition. (Texas AG) Paxton said Thursday that the ruling “will not insulate hospitals, doctors, or anyone else, from civil and criminal liability for violating Texas’ abortion laws. The TRO [temporary restraining order] will expire long before the statute of limitations for violating Texas’ abortion laws expires.”

District Judge Maya Guerra Gamble’s order specifically shields Kate Cox from prosecution, alongside her husband and her physician. Cox’s physician argued that carrying the pregnancy to term could seriously risk her health and future fertility.

He is threatening also to prosecute any hospital staff that assist, even though the Texas ban provides exceptions for situations like this. Doctors say the exception language is so poorly written that they simply cannot affod to risk tripping over a comma.

It was never about abortion.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
one racist white Karen who argued with a autobiography written by a slave made this happen. because we cant have slave info in a historic slave plantation.

Texas Historical Group Removes Slavery Books At Ex-Slave Plantations: Report​

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
one racist white Karen who argued with a autobiography written by a slave made this happen. because we cant have slave info in a historic slave plantation.

Texas Historical Group Removes Slavery Books At Ex-Slave Plantations: Report​

History rewriting under the guise of historical preservation. Racism under the guise of education. Clever. Not really.

**** off, Karen.

Top Bottom
1 2