The "Wordle" thread

Let’s talk starter words (not sure if this has been addressed).

I go with β€œdiary” a lot. β€œReach” or β€œshape” is good.

Someone just told me he uses β€œnoise” every time.

Another annoyingly green day (hard mode strategy), did not expect the third guess to work out but here we are… Not complaining! πŸ₯³

I am stubbornly sticking to my starter word despite it not being statistically optimal. Using for example β€œraise” instead would be a wiser decision (but less fun so frak it).

Wordle 250 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My starter word is filled with vowels: "adieu". Once I've seen what pops up there I move to the second line and put in my current favorite second word, "ghost." That takes care of the remaining vowel and also a few consonants. Sometimes that is still not enough, though, and when that happens I throw in "crank" on the third line. By then I should have a sufficient number of letters with which to start trying for the actual winning word.

I have fun playing with this and try to remind myself that it's not a sign of total failure if I don't manage to guess the winning word at all, which of course has happened a few times since I've been playing Wordle....

Oh, FU wordle, that's not even ... well, I got it, because it was obvious at the 4th guess even though (see spoiler ...)

Wordle 250 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Really? A slang word?

Bloke is a slang term for a common man in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. The earliest known usage is from the early 19th century, when it was recorded as a London slang term.
Wikipedia

My brain wasn't quite in gear yet when I attempted this but in the end the solution came to me..... But, yeah, I was a little disconcerted, too.

Wordle 250 6/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
⬜⬜🟧⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦
⬜⬜🟧🟧🟧
⬜⬜🟧🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Actually, over the past week or so, I have stumbled into, evolved, or developed something approximating to your method, though I still consult my (ever growing, but slower) neatly printed, hand-written list of five letter words.

Are you playing (daily) or just making lists[?] If the former, you should post results here. :)

Haunted by greens yet again.

Third guess semi-wasted, a word that probably is not in the list of valid solutions, just in the list of valid words. It eliminated three letters, though, so file as a win.

Wordle 251 5/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I totally bombed out on this one -- Grrrrr! My first word brought out two letters but then I couldn't grab any other letters until I finally got a key one -- at the end, when it was too late. Sigh.....

Wordle 251 X/6

⬜🟦🟦⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟦🟦⬜
🟦⬜🟦🟦⬜

My starter word is filled with vowels: "adieu". Once I've seen what pops up there I move to the second line and put in my current favorite second word, "ghost." That takes care of the remaining vowel and also a few consonants. Sometimes that is still not enough, though, and when that happens I throw in "crank" on the third line. By then I should have a sufficient number of letters with which to start trying for the actual winning word.

Ahh.

I always work from existing letters (I think maybe one time I've tossed in a totally fresh word/letters, and on the occasions my first word is a total bust). If they're valid but wrong position I move them (or use them in their position if correct) while also introducing new vowel(s), and/or doing some vowel/consonant pairing validation/elimination (like IE, OU, CH, TH, NG, etc ...)

Like my solve above, started with one of my two standard words. Left the correct position letter, moved the other to a new position while also adding another vowel to check and a couple of good, common consonants. No new letters, so I moved the wrong position letter again, and once again, validated the final vowel plus two more consonants.

Now after guess #3, I've got two positioned, I know the vowel(s), and I know which common consonants it's not, and I have a two letter suffix pattern that massively limits the result set.

Back