The "Wordle" thread

Up until my 4th guess, which was the actual solution, it wasn't looking good, though after guess 3 I had eliminated quite a few possible options.

Wordle 247 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The frustration of reaching for a yellow post it with a (long and growing daily) neatly printed (hand-written) list of five letter words, only to find that you have - inadvertently - reached for a yellow post it with a neatly printed (hand-written) shopping list which reads (among other things) "garlic" (yes, six letters, I know, I know), "sushi", "fruit", "onion", "curry", "lemon", and - by the time you had reached "aubergines" and "courgettes" and "tomatoes" and "blood oranges" - which are not the words you seek - hissing (quietly, even though you live, toute seule), "damn" (yes, a four letter word, I know), when you do so.

In the beginning I made a list of five-letter words, then eventually discarded that idea, but I still catch myself thinking of something and then, oh -- "that's a five-letter word!" LOL! Instead I developed a specific strategy with the vowels, getting them front-and-center first, and then a second word with the one vowel I hadn't included in the first word, creating a word with primarily consonants, and that helps a lot, but unless letters fall just right and in abundance, I still need to get creative for the third line to begin figuring out into which spaces the letters go to form the correct word.

Sometimes I can do it easily without the piece of paper but other times I need to grab a piece of paper and start playing with the letters and arrangement. Usually I'm already at the fourth or fifth line when I'm doing this. Sometimes I just stare at the computer, willing the word to magically come into my mind....or my fingers. Occasionally it actually does!

My vowel elimination was a bit of a head scratcher, but then made it sort of obvious (given the other letter in/out of play):

Wordle 248 5/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was stumped until I checked a notification then came back and it smacked me in the face. Sometimes a break helps!
Wordle 248 5/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨🟨
🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My wife is beating me too often. Not good for the ego.

Wordle 248 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Does anyone else punch in a word with letters that have already been ruled out in order to make a bit of progress?

Yep, I do that a lot! If I want to see if I can pull out a couple more working letters I'll come up with a word which I am pretty sure won't be the winner and usually does repeat some letters I've already tried and which are ruled out. That's annoying, and wasteful, BUT.... If I manage to get at least one new working letter out of that word, though, I'm happy.

In the beginning I made a list of five-letter words, then eventually discarded that idea, but I still catch myself thinking of something and then, oh -- "that's a five-letter word!" LOL! Instead I developed a specific strategy with the vowels, getting them front-and-center first, and then a second word with the one vowel I hadn't included in the first word, creating a word with primarily consonants, and that helps a lot, but unless letters fall just right and in abundance, I still need to get creative for the third line to begin figuring out into which spaces the letters go to form the correct word.

Sometimes I can do it easily without the piece of paper but other times I need to grab a piece of paper and start playing with the letters and arrangement. Usually I'm already at the fourth or fifth line when I'm doing this. Sometimes I just stare at the computer, willing the word to magically come into my mind....or my fingers. Occasionally it actually does!
Terrific post, and thankk you for it.

Actually, over the past week or so, I have stumbled into, evolved, or developed something approximating to your method, though I still consult my (ever growing, but slower) neatly printed, hand-written list of five letter words.

Back