Today’s Shooting (an ongoing topic)

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I see why humans begin to ignore these things. You live in fear or pretend everything is normal. There’s going to come a time when one of these lunatics end up taking the life of one of these cowboy republicans‘ kids, and then we‘ll have to sit through a sob story about how they’ve changed their mind on guns, when they’ve done less than nothing for every other American parent who’s lost a child to this inane and senseless gun culture.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Slam me all you want on this, but the defund the police narrative is certainly not helping. Nor is no cash bail policies. And progressive DA's who won't prosecute low-level crimes don't help either.

Of course those against those three things are going to make sure every person who gets out of jail without bond and commits more crimes is going to be highlighted. So yeah they are sowing fear, but in some cases it is justified.

Dems sell more guns than Republicans could ever hope to.

I will say this, these three things do not affect me. My police haven't been defunded, my county requires bail and we have a DA who will prosecute. So if that is how some people want to live, great, they can do it where they are. But not everyone who lives in those areas agrees with those policies. So they buy guns to protect themselves and their families.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Slam me all you want on this

Naw, you have your opinions.

but the defund the police narrative is certainly not helping.

I still believe in defunding the police. And to be clear, I'm not a proponent of getting rid of the police. But I am in favor of some money going to the police being spent in other ways to relieve the police of some of the mundane stuff. Not every call needs someone with a gun and badge to show up. Let cops be cops instead of social workers.

Nor is no cash bail policies.

My only problem with the bail system is the haves get to go home, return to work and wait for their court date. The have-nots are stuck in jail, where they can loose their jobs and homes. If you're rich, you're fine. If you're not, it can make a bad situation worse. Even if that person is later proven innocent, their whole lives can be turned upside down.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Slam me all you want on this, but the defund the police narrative is certainly not helping. Nor is no cash bail policies. And progressive DA's who won't prosecute low-level crimes don't help either.

Of course those against those three things are going to make sure every person who gets out of jail without bond and commits more crimes is going to be highlighted. So yeah they are sowing fear, but in some cases it is justified.

Dems sell more guns than Republicans could ever hope to.

I will say this, these three things do not affect me. My police haven't been defunded, my county requires bail and we have a DA who will prosecute. So if that is how some people want to live, great, they can do it where they are. But not everyone who lives in those areas agrees with those policies. So they buy guns to protect themselves and their families.
And some people live in stand your ground areas.

My aunt and I were having a conversation about my father barging in to my brother and I's separate homes. She being a MAGA and FOX viewer from Florida was aghast that we leave our front doors unlocked. After she proclaimed that she would have shot him because of stand your ground laws, I stated "Remind me never to visit you unannounced."

To each their own. Still happily have my doors unlocked during the day even though I live in the city. I still believe that most people are not murderers, and since MA has tough gun laws, so I am not worried.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
To each their own. Still happily have my doors unlocked during the day even though I live in the city. I still believe that most people are not murderers, and since MA has tough gun laws, so I am not worried.

We live in a suburb of Portland and our doors are unlocked probably most of the day. In our old neighborhood I couldn't even get people to lock up in the evening. If I didn't do it, it didn't happen.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Ugh. I will withhold my judgement until we learn more, but regardless, another innocent black person “scares” someone and is shot dead for no reason. There’s some other additional stuff to this story, so I’m not going to accuse the older man of anything, but it’s so frequently a black victim. SMH.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Here’s a positive story for a change of the system working as it should:

- Student with a history of psychiatric challenges tells his friend from a treatment program he’s going to shoot up his High School and Elementary school (reportedly because it’s easier).
- That friend reported his concerning behavior (to an authority figure I presume who reported or directly) to the FBI who notified the local police.
- Warrants were obtained that found a manifesto revealing his intentions.
- Reportedly he shared similar thoughts in 2022-2023 with a school counselor, was removed from the school, and sent to inpatient treatment for 5 months. He had been not attending in-person classes since.

I don’t know if he had access to a gun but as we’ve seen, if there is a will, there is a way for these sick individuals. I’d be curious to know often these plans are foiled, not something every community would want to highlight, but it’s important for people to see how they can do their part to stop a tragedy… actually 2x a tragedy was stopped- once by the counselor which facilitated getting him into inpatient treatment, once by his friend reporting his disturbing plans.

Also of interest, this kid is not your stereotypical white student. He appears to be Asian. It goes to show any ethic group is capable of these terrible actions, which shouldn’t be surprising.

I also commend his family for trying their best to get him the help he needs. Esp if his parents are Asian immigrants or even 1st generation, there’s culturally typically tremendous distrust of psychiatric care (let alone western medicine in many cases) and psychiatric illness is viewed as a personal weakness among Asian immigrants. Asians-Americans typically score as holding the most stigma. But it’s really not uncommon for people from developing countries to see mental illness this way. Likely explains to some extent why there’s so few Asian psychiatrists versus other specialties. A big problem in my opinion.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
People should spend less time demonizing others, worrying about what invisible man others pray to, who decides to stick what part of their body into someone else’s (which they oddly don’t seem overly concerned about within the church when said “someone else” is a child), or what medical procedures a woman has - and more about what is happening in their home with their own kids and family.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2