USA Election 2024

Ah okay sorry I totally misunderstood. I thought you were saying that Obama’s original statement “you didn’t build that” was the equivalent of JD Vance/Trump saying that immigrants were eating pets and … yeah … that’s obviously silly and I plead being very tired.

I was a little vague. But yeah, republicans love to take something and run on it, no matter how untrue it is. Some random US citizen in Canton goes nuts and tries to eat a cat, suddenly it’s Haitian immigrants in Springfield eating pets.

I don’t care if he debates her again or not, honestly. It would be more of the same - a sane adult vs. a cult leader ranting and regurgitating debunked conspiracies fed to him by Laura Loomer and his other goonies.

I’m also tired of hearing about undecided voters - not because their votes don’t matter, but because we’re talking about a former president who has been the nominee three times, and a former US Senator who’s been VP for three years. I’m reading comments on the debate from these alleged “undecided” voters, trying to sound righteous with their “both sides” banter. Criticize Harris for not being specific enough or dodging some questions, sure. But to pretend that debate was in any way equal or trying to pretend they are different sides of a coin is a joke.

“Well, Harris wasn’t specific enough. Trump was unhinged but he made some great points and has better immigration policies.”

No… he does not. He didn’t outline any specific plans on immigration or anything else, nor does he have any grasp or knowledge of virtually anything besides delaying a court case. Mass deportation is not a policy plan. It’s a vague extreme position by a racist simpleton to appeal to racist simpletons.

I’m so ready for the election to be over, this nonsense makes me want to tune out. But then I’d fear I’d be as stupid and ill-informed as some of these “undecided” voters.

Anyone undecided at this point either takes Trump seriously, which is a problem, or must just wait until the morning of Election Day and flips a coin to determine who they are voting for. If - at this late in the game - you don’t “know enough” about one or both candidates, I’d be lying if I say I care about what your opinion is. I’m not running for anything so I don’t have to care or pretend to care. This is an easy f******g choice.

What's the old saying about pots and kettles?

She found out Loomer got to accompany Trump to the debate and got jealous. Loomer did not just start posting racist crap, and MTG isn’t suddenly trying to be an activist. This is self-interest and promotion for both.

Trump also brought Loomer to the 9/11 ceremony. Leave it to Trump to bring a 9/11 denier to a 9/11 remembrance ceremony.

Imagine in an alternate reality where the democrats were the one who became an unreasonable cult. Imagine Harris on stage saying “They’re cooking meth, they’re sleeping with their own sons and daughters, they’re hooking the kids on meth, they’re coming in from the farmlands, the small towns, they’re raping children and screwing our pets…”

Keep in mind, I can probably find one out of context (or actually in context) story online to back up these stereotypes. Imagine how unbelievable and utterly deranged she would sound, even though there’s probably more truth in that ridiculous statement I made than there is the ridiculous crap Trump spews.

I’m happy to see a sane and articulate pro take a mental midget through a meat grinder boot camp, but I don’t need to see it. I know they’re playing for the undecided voters, but that’s a problem in and of itself.

I’m happy to see her kick his ass again, and I’m also happy for there to be no debate and for her to mock him for it through Election Day.

Yeah, another debate is unlikely to change anything except make Trump look worse, which doesn't seem to affect much at this point. His derangement is a feature, not a bug.

Trump's campaign should probably pull Vance out of the VP debate, I can't see it helping them at all.

Yeah, another debate is unlikely to change anything except make Trump look worse, which doesn't seem to affect much at this point. His derangement is a feature, not a bug.

Trump's campaign should probably pull Vance out of the VP debate, I can't see it helping them at all.

Vance is self-owning every other day, I truly don’t see a debate helping the Trump campaign. Walz is the clear betting favorite and Vance would kind of be in the situation Harris was in - the one who needs to prove themselves (especially after all the gaffes). But he’s not Harris, at all. Walz is that dude everyone likes, Vance is the one everyone hates. Walz is charismatic and friendly, Vance is an automaton programmed to be an asshole.

I mean, look at the trove of evidence they have to use against Vance. Walz would probably drag him worse than Harris did Trump.

I’m happy to see her kick his ass again, and I’m also happy for there to be no debate and for her to mock him for it through Election Day.

Exactly! Show up and look like a fool again, or don't show up and look like a fool for being afraid. I selfishly want to see him get spanked again, but I'm not sure there's value in it for either of them or the voters.

People who are undecided have plenty of material they can go back and reference. And if they're still undecided at this point, they're obviously too lazy to change that, so why throw another debate for them? If they cared, they wouldn't be undecided. The information they need to choose one over the other is out there if they would bother to track it down. They're not "undecided voters", they're "disinterested voters". The news is finding people who don't care and probably won't vote and trying to turn it into a story.

Exactly! Show up and look like a fool again, or don't show up and look like a fool for being afraid. I selfishly want to see him get spanked again, but I'm not sure there's value in it for either of them or the voters.

People who are undecided have plenty of material they can go back and reference. And if they're still undecided at this point, they're obviously too lazy to change that, so why throw another debate for them? If they cared, they wouldn't be undecided. The information they need to choose one over the other is out there if they would bother to track it down. They're not "undecided voters", they're "disinterested voters". The news is finding people who don't care and probably won't vote and trying to turn it into a story.
Indeed. Also as I think @Eric already said, another subset of these remaining "undecided" voters aren't really deciding between Harris and Trump but whether to vote for Trump for a third time. Make no mistake that still matters if they do or don't, but it does mean that another debate isn't likely to change their minds about anything.

Indeed. Also as I think @Eric already said, another subset of these remaining "undecided" voters aren't really deciding between Harris and Trump but whether to vote for Trump for a third time. Make no mistake that still matters if they do or don't, but it does mean that another debate isn't likely to change their minds about anything.

Sure. Undecided could be "Candidate A or B?", it could mean "Do I want to vote or not?". You could even make the argument that it includes "I was voting for A, but now I'm voting for B". Changes in polling obviously come from somewhere. I'd think new voters would be another chunk of that. And of course they are important.

My comments were specifically aimed at those who don't know who the better candidate is at this point. I wasn't clear about that.

Sure. Undecided could be "Candidate A or B?", it could mean "Do I want to vote or not?". You could even make the argument that it includes "I was voting for A, but now I'm voting for B". Changes in polling obviously come from somewhere. I'd think new voters would be another chunk of that. And of course they are important.

My comments were specifically aimed at those who don't know who the better candidate is at this point. I wasn't clear about that.
No you were quite clear! I was agreeing with you. I was just adding an additional layer to what you were saying and remarking that your conclusion, more information especially from another debate won’t help them make up their minds, still applies.

I was referencing @Eric’s post here:

CNN - first person in "undecided" focus group went for Trump, then he asked if she voted for Trump in 2016 and 2020 and she said "yes". In other words, she is a Trump supporter. I want to see CNN as neutral here but clearly they're not on this group.

As well as other similar “undecideds” I’d seen interviewed. It’s almost a trope.

But it wasn’t to disagree with anything you said.

I was a little vague. But yeah, republicans love to take something and run on it, no matter how untrue it is. Some random US citizen in Canton goes nuts and tries to eat a cat, suddenly it’s Haitian immigrants in Springfield eating pets.
I remember a time when it was ‘Vietnamese eating dogs’, I think some Asians did, and something about stray cats dissapearing in San Francisco decades ago, but it was never a conversation that demanded deportation. 🤔

Back