Weather

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We went for 2 days at my buddy's place in Daly City, the hardest part was sleeping with no heat, even with covers. After I went home they decided to get a hotel and just as they were leaving it came back on for them. Hang in there, I know it sucks unless you have a power backup of some kind.
We may have to use one of our gas fireplaces tonight. I haven’t fired any of them up in 20 years, but I confirmed today that the one in the main bedroom still works. Probably shouldn’t sleep with it on though.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The power - she is back!!

Internet too!

Sometimes, for example in our neighborhood, the cable boosters are tied to the power. No power, no cable booster. So it might not always be the cable lines down, just that they need some power.

Comcast goes above and beyond here. They will bring a generator out to power the booster for our neighborhood.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Those mountains that border Santa Clarita immediately to the east, there are ski areas up in them. Usually the snow stays in the mountains and we only see the snow off in the distance, but this has been a "cold" winter in the Los Angeles area, and it does occasionally snow in Los Angeles itself.....everybody panics and goes crazy

First rain after a dry spell makes all the oil on the road quite slippery.....everybody panics and goes crazy

Yeah, we have had to send some sweatshirts to her. Seems it is colder than Savannah. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The power - she is back!!

Internet too!
Glad to hear it and let's hope it stays that way. They're still seeing an endless line of storms out there so I suspect none of us will be out of the wods for a while now.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Man, the tornadoes have been tearing through Alabama today. One particularly scary front looks like it might be headed my way.

Ah, nothing like sweet, crisp January weather.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
On a positive note all the rain in CA has finally downgraded our status from extinction event drought to biblical retribution drought. Also the broccoli I’m growing in the backyard doesn’t know what everybody is complaining about. They love it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
On a positive note all the rain in CA has finally downgraded our status from extinction event drought to biblical retribution drought. Also the broccoli I’m growing in the backyard doesn’t know what everybody is complaining about. They love it.

My wife’s potted cacti in the back yard weren’t too happy - they’ve now been sheltered from the repeated deluges.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife’s potted cacti in the back yard weren’t too happy - they’ve now been sheltered from the repeated deluges.

I imagine so. I have a hydrangea I thought was dead as hell for months that I’ve just been too lazy to put in the yard waste bin. I glanced at it yesterday and there are fresh green buds popping out. Plants be crazy.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Surf's up in Venice beach today!

1673639561786.png

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Talk about a twist.

The Seattle Seahawks are playing the SF 49'ers today in the WC round of the playoffs.

The 49'ers needed a bit of help with their field because of all the rain they have been getting, so they flew the Seahawk's Head Groundskeeper down to help them with a soggy field.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Our front and side yard is almost all succulents. So far it's enduring the massive rains really well.

I think a lot of that is due to having a few truckloads of well-draining succulent mix soil brought in to replace the clay that was previously there, before we planted.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I think a lot of that is due to having a few truckloads of well-draining succulent mix soil brought in to replace the clay that was previously there, before we planted.

Did some work for a couple that was in the process of ripping out about $50K worth of shrubs and trees because the landscaper was supposed to remove all the clay around the house, put in drainage and refill with topsoil prior to planting. He did not and as a result, all the plants basically drowned in clay bowls.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Did some work for a couple that was in the process of ripping out about $50K worth of shrubs and trees because the landscaper was supposed to remove all the clay around the house, put in drainage and refill with topsoil prior to planting. He did not and as a result, all the plants basically drowned in clay bowls.

Knowing next to nothing about soils (what I used to call "dirt"), other than clay was bad and didn't drain, I was skeptical about the succulent mix that replaced a lot of our clay. I grabbed a handful of the mix off the truck and thought this can't be real soil. It was fluffy and weighed almost nothing, how could plants possibly live in that?

Turns out the contractor that did our grading around the house while scraping off a lot of clay, absolutely knew what he was doing. Our succulents (and a few other plants) are thriving in it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The weird winter continues. Snowing like crazy now and 28º but after nightfall wind shifts to south and temps rise to 40ºF. Warmish weather continues with intermittent daytime snows... then eight days out the hammer drops and it's single digits overnight. Truly I think the weather gods have lost the plot in the USA lately.

Top Bottom
1 2