What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
One of the best shows ever. The acting is superb, and the storyline is mind-blowing. Not to be missed.
Ref: Severance series
Thanks. I just don’t know. The sequence when employees have official interactions where they sit down to be to told a list of good qualities that their “outties” (the other half of their existence) have was so laughable, and hard to believe this would be enough to be validated.

Think about it, your generous, you have good sex (really? :D) , ok, but my work self, the only existence I can currently remember, does not get to experience any of that, just non-stop work. I wonder just how compromised these psyches are? My impression is enough to go a bit (maybe totally) bonkers because living a perceived half a life to the psyche of a human brain would, as I imagine it, be extremely detrimental. 🤔

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Ref: Severance series
Thanks. I just don’t know. The sequence when employees have official interactions where they sit down to be to told a list of good qualities that their “outties” (the other half of their existence) have was so laughable, and hard to believe this would be enough to be validated.
What @Alli said earlier. The acting is definitely superb. The storyline is so out there, it kept me coming back.

Judging by your comments @Huntn, maybe this show isn't for you. If so, that's okay.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to suspend disbelief for 90% of what I watch on TV these days, and that includes the news.

Tehran was pretty good. It got an International Emmy for Best Drama Series. Season 3 is supposed to begin this June.
I would describe myself as having moderate suspension of disbelief capabilities, this was a notch beyond. . :)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I would describe myself as having moderate suspension of disbelief capabilities, this was a notch beyond. . :)
I consider two categories of disbelief suspension:
  1. Something is physically impossible, even allowing for advances in technology. For example, this applies to most superhero movies.
  2. The Idiot Plot, a term popularized (though not coined) by Roger Ebert. The plot advances only because the characters do stupid things, don't ask obvious questions, and so on.
IMO, Severance mostly falls into the first category because I don't think it'll ever be possible to do what the implants do. At the beginning, I thought the severed workers were idiotic too, but that changed as time went on.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Six Million Dollar Man, remastered in HD. Suspend your fuckin disbelief for that. It’s on Peacock.

The pacing is glacial. Really not a lot of dialogue being written here. Brings me back, though.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Six Million Dollar Man, remastered in HD. Suspend your fuckin disbelief for that. It’s on Peacock.

The pacing is glacial. Really not a lot of dialogue being written here. Brings me back, though.
I’ve been binge re-watching all the old Mission: Impossible tv episodes. Similar vibe.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’ve been binge re-watching all the old Mission: Impossible tv episodes. Similar vibe.
I still watch them from time to time, especially now that they are on the Paramount Plus network. It was a different time for television and they put a lot of effort into the actual time and implementation of the missions, I particularly liked it when Greg Morris' character went into details on the technical side of things.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I still watch them from time to time, especially now that they are on the Paramount Plus network. It was a different time for television and they put a lot of effort into the actual time and implementation of the missions, I particularly liked it when Greg Morris' character went into details on the technical side of things.

For giggles you should take a peek at the 1988 remake - Greg morris’ son is in it, playing Barney’s son. They are so bad. They literally just remade the exact same plot with different characters (except for Jim) for most of the episodes because of the writer’s strike. But the outfits, hairstyles, and 1980’s VCR-quality video cameras are just something else. (You can find the episodes on YouTube).

I’m also a fan of Columbo, which i binge watch every few years, so it’s also fun watching the actors rotate between those two shows. Plus a couple actors from the Brady Bunch and the original Star Trek, of course.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
For giggles you should take a peek at the 1988 remake - Greg morris’ son is in it, playing Barney’s son. They are so bad. They literally just remade the exact same plot with different characters (except for Jim) for most of the episodes because of the writer’s strike. But the outfits, hairstyles, and 1980’s VCR-quality video cameras are just something else. (You can find the episodes on YouTube).

I’m also a fan of Columbo, which i binge watch every few years, so it’s also fun watching the actors rotate between those two shows. Plus a couple actors from the Brady Bunch and the original Star Trek, of course.
Even at this time in my life I don't let a month go by where I don't see at least one episode of Columbo, by far my favorite show of all time. I have all episodes from all seasons downloaded, even the cheesier movie/episodes that they made during the later years.

Benny Hill is another staple that I watch regularly, he could never get away with it today but the slapstick, pretty girls of the era (no fake tits, tattoos, etc) and music were all fantastic. Then in later years it was Married with Children, used to watch with my dad all the time.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We just watched the original Tom Cruze Mission Impossible (movie) and enjoyed it thoroughly. :)
As someone who loved the tv series, turning Jim Phelps into a bad guy and turning a cerebral spy show into an action show made me vomit a little bit in my mouth. I like the later movies but i pretend they are called something other than Mission: Impossible.

I think i remember hearing a story that one of the original actors - maybe Martin Landau - walked out of the movie premier in disgust.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
As someone who loved the tv series, turning Jim Phelps into a bad guy and turning a cerebral spy show into an action show made me vomit a little bit in my mouth. I like the later movies but i pretend they are called something other than Mission: Impossible.

I think i remember hearing a story that one of the original actors - maybe Martin Landau - walked out of the movie premier in disgust.
Was infiltrating the embassy, and going after a guy who was stealing a NOC (sp?) list of agent names, to intercept and prevent this, and after it goes sideways, with Ethan Hunt being setup, and working his way out of it, including infiltrating the CIA, any different than the typical Mission Impossible, other than the major spoiler you blurted out? ;)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Was infiltrating the embassy, and going after a guy who was stealing a NOC (sp?) list of agent names, to intercept and prevent this, and after it goes sideways, with Ethan Hunt being setup, and working his way out of it, including infiltrating the CIA, any different than the typical Mission Impossible, other than the major spoiler you blurted out? ;)

Yes. In the tv episodes, it was all about tricking the bad guys into handing over the secret info or turning themselves in. “action” consisted of an occasional karate chop to the neck. A typical episode of the tv series had the IMF team tricking William shatner, playing a mob boss, thinking the last 30 years had been just a dream. Or tricking a guy into thinking there had just been a nuclear war.

And things seldom went sideways, because the team planned for everything. Viewers would THINK things went sideways, but it turned out that it was usually just part of the plan.

It was formulaic, slow-paced, terrible for modern audiences, but fantastic.

And there was no moral ambiguity. The good guys were the good guys, and 100% selfless. The plot for the movie made no sense at all if it was meant to be the same character as the tv series.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
And things seldom went sideways, because the team planned for everything. Viewers would THINK things went sideways, but it turned out that it was usually just part of the plan.
Don’t forget the more modern equivalent, “Leverage.” Fantastic series.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Watching the Showtime mini series The Borgias on Netflix two years after it was released. My my... Pretty sure whatever flames the Vatican threw at it (or maybe not, who knows) have died off by now, so even God has probably quit raising eyebrows at it. The scandals people try to lay at the feet of modern popes certainly do pale next to the accomplishments of Alexander VI who was Rodrigo Borgia before he "acquired" the papacy. I've read enough about the Borgias to realize this series is not far off the mark. Anyway it's fun watching Jeremy Irons roll on as the Borgia pope in yet another of the morally ambiguous roles he likes to play.

Top Bottom
1 2