What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Found my all-time favorite show on Hulu tonight, so started rewatching St. Elsewhere. From just the first 2 episodes, I’d say not only does it hold up, but it’s better than most of the current medical dramas on.
I loved St. Elsewhere. Watched it religiously. Unfortunately, we closed our Hulu account yesterday. Otherwise I'd watch it this weekend.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just watched the first two episodes of Poker Face. Very good. They even use the Columbo title and credit fonts. I thought the fact that the main character has a super power (impeccable lie detection) would detract from the Columbo-style plots, but they actually use it to great effect; it’s fun parsing what the murderer says to try and decide if it’s technically a lie, or to watch how a murderer who knows about her power carefully avoids lying to her, or to play along with her as she tries to untangle logic puzzles (two people state the same fact, but one of them is lying - what does that tell her?)

I still wish they’d revive Columbo with Mark Ruffalo, but this show, so far, is pretty close.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Found my all-time favorite show on Hulu tonight, so started rewatching St. Elsewhere. From just the first 2 episodes, I’d say not only does it hold up, but it’s better than most of the current medical dramas on.
Loved that show too, though some of the characters were a bit overdrawn. Dr. Auschlander was probably one of them, but I was so impressed with the actor who played him, Norman Lloyd. He was around 68-years-old when the series started, lived to 106, and made his last film when he was 99.

I wasn't aware it was on Hulu, so thanks for posting.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tehran (AppleTV 2020-) Excellent Israeli espionage series, Israel vs Iran. I’m half way through season 1.

0C5016B5-C822-4AD4-9925-A880F1ED8AEA.jpeg

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Last of Us episode 3: that’s gonna win some Emmy’s.
Thanks for the reminder. Gotta watch that this afternoon.

Meanwhile, I stumbled into Lockwood & Co, and we wound up watching the first four episodes last night. It’s an interesting take on ghost hunting. We both enjoyed it.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Last of Us episode 3: that’s gonna win some Emmy’s.
That has got to be the best episode of TV I have watched in a long... long time. If you aren't touched by it, then I don't know if you capable of emotions. At the risk of going into territories we shouldn't go, I know that there will be a negative reaction from some folks that have a different view of our culture.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That has got to be the best episode of TV I have watched in a long... long time. If you aren't touched by it, then I don't know if you capable of emotions. At the risk of going into territories we shouldn't go, I know that there will be a negative reaction from some folks that have a different view of our culture.
Agreed.

I just hope that when the door slammed it wasn’t a hint of an as-yet-unrevealed twist that would sap some of the impact.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was a lovely episode, reminding us that even in the darkest times, love will survive.

But it really didn’t tie into the show at all.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
It was a lovely episode, reminding us that even in the darkest times, love will survive.

But it really didn’t tie into the show at all.
It kinda did on the outskirts, and quite frankly it was a refreshing and surprising backstory to the game.

The game was good, but was very slow at points. Bill was a small part of it and Frank was only mentioned as part of Bill’s life.

You are right that it had only a small value to the main storyline, besides the key for the truck and the statement of "finding your purpose" in the suicide note. I thought it was a nice enhancement of Bills story (vs the game).

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
On our weekly family FaceTime, my son and I mentioned episode 3. My daughter hasn’t started watching yet, and it’s not my mother’s kind of show. However, since ep 3 is so much a stand-alone, we convinced my mother to watch it. She called last night to tell me how much she hated me for telling her to watch it because she cried all the way through (as I knew she would). She thought it was one of the most beautiful things she’d ever seen.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
This will only make sense to you if you have watched the last of us ep 3.
The funniest thing I read was someone's tongue in cheek response on twitter about the episode.

"Strawberries are not that good."

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Looks like I will have to sub to Peacock. It is the only one of the "network's" platforms I haven't joined.

I'm growing more fond of ones like that with an annual option (and a promo rate for openers). Gripe when you pay for it, forget about it for a whole year.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just watched the first two episodes of Poker Face. Very good. They even use the Columbo title and credit fonts. I thought the fact that the main character has a super power (impeccable lie detection) would detract from the Columbo-style plots, but they actually use it to great effect; it’s fun parsing what the murderer says to try and decide if it’s technically a lie, or to watch how a murderer who knows about her power carefully avoids lying to her, or to play along with her as she tries to untangle logic puzzles (two people state the same fact, but one of them is lying - what does that tell her?)

I still wish they’d revive Columbo with Mark Ruffalo, but this show, so far, is pretty close.
Based on this I decided to give the first episode a try. This show is quite the homage to Columbo, she clearly studied him, his mannerisms, all of it and does a pretty convincing job. As you mentioned the fonts and opening credits were spot on, they even played This Old Man Came Rolling Home on one of the slot machines in the background while she was at the bar.

All very cool and worthy of their effort, honoring one of the best shows ever written, doing Peter Falk, Richard Levinson and William Link proud.

Top Bottom
1 2