What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I discovered a series I'd never heard of called Hunters and binged both seasons over the weekend. The story is about Nazi hunters seeking retribution following the horrors of the concentration camps. Al Pacino is wonderful as usual. The story is full of twists and turns which I always enjoy. I don't want to say more so as not to give anything pertinent away but do recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Just finished watching The Last of Us and just wow, that first episode was flat out awesome from beginning to end. My new favorite show.
I just came here to say the same! Great cast too.

The show did such a good job I was more than a tad creeped out going outside afterwards in the eerily quiet night, to drop my trash in the rubbish bin. Couldn’t wait to get back inside and lock my security door!

That prologue though...

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I just came here to the same! Great cast too.

The show did such a good job I was more than a tad creeped out going outside afterwards in the eerily quiet night, to drop my trash in the rubbish bin. Couldn’t wait to get back inside and lock my security door!

That prologue though...
Was probably one of the best openings I've ever seen, so surreal and well done. They obviously put a lot of time and money into this production and we haven't seen this sort of character development since GoT.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I enjoyed Last of Us also, thought it got a slightly bogged down with plot after the last time jump but recovered. I’m reading the next two eps are going to be very different but great.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Just finished watching The Last of Us and just wow, that first episode was flat out awesome from beginning to end. My new favorite show.

Did nothing for me, but I'm also not a fan of the game, and possibly more importantly, nor The Walking Dead. I just can't get into the whole zombie dystopia thing. Second to that, I'm not really into the underground rebels fighting the authoritarian government trope either.

I think because I'm not really a fan of the genres I find myself rolling my eyes a lot more than people who are fans and the constant parade of formulaic characters and stereotypes really takes me out of it. I have a really low threshold for tough guys/women constantly mouthing off at other characters and this show seems to be full of that.

But having said that, I'll probably give it at least another couple more episodes before I solidify that it's really not for me.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Did nothing for me, but I'm also not a fan of the game, and possibly more importantly, nor The Walking Dead. I just can't get into the whole zombie dystopia thing.
I'm also not a zombie fan. That's exactly why I've never seen one episode of TWD. The trailer was enough to nope me out. It's the cast of The Last of Us that roped me in. They did not disappoint. So for now, I plan to stick around.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm also not a zombie fan. That's exactly why I've never seen one episode of TWD. The trailer was enough to nope me out. It's the cast of The Last of Us that roped me in. They did not disappoint. So for now, I plan to stick around.
Wasn't even aware this was a game. 🤷‍♂️ Pretty good score on RT FWIW.

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 7.31.51 PM.png

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
We watched The Last of Us late last night. Hubby liked it. For me it's so-so. Never watched TWD and not a fan of zombie watching. So there's that. I got tired of all the cliches and predicting some of the action to come. If I aired all that BS this would wind up a big ass rant. Probably not watching more than another episode or so if the 1st one is any indication.

Just finished watching the 1st season of Kindred tonight. Again, a bit predictable, but not as cliched. Unfortunately for me I know the storyline from reading the wikipedia entry on the series, and the changes within the Hulu series are distracting me a bit. I'm satisfied enough to want to view the 2nd season and finally read the damn book (have both the regular and graphic novel version of one of Octavia Butler's best known and loved books). Can't believe I've only read a couple short stories by Butler.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is high standards or weird standards, but if I’m watching a drama on a streaming service that could easily be aired on ABC, NBC, or CBS I’m probably out. I’m a grown-ass-man and I don’t need to be paying a premium to watch kid-safe versions of adult stories.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
We watched The Last of Us late last night. Hubby liked it. For me it's so-so. Never watched TWD and not a fan of zombie watching. So there's that. I got tired of all the cliches and predicting some of the action to come. If I aired all that BS this would wind up a big ass rant. Probably not watching more than another episode or so if the 1st one is any indication.

Just finished watching the 1st season of Kindred tonight. Again, a bit predictable, but not as cliched. Unfortunately for me I know the storyline from reading the wikipedia entry on the series, and the changes within the Hulu series are distracting me a bit. I'm satisfied enough to want to view the 2nd season and finally read the damn book (have both the regular and graphic novel version of one of Octavia Butler's best known and loved books). Can't believe I've only read a couple short stories by Butler.

Thanks for giving me a reason not to be really annoyed that I ignored a reminder to pause Hulu (after having revived it for a couple things I wanted to watch last month). I'll give Kindred a shot since I'm in for another round on that platform. But... I have now put two reminders and a desktop note to pause the platform next month!

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Thanks for giving me a reason not to be really annoyed that I ignored a reminder to pause Hulu (after having revived it for a couple things I wanted to watch last month). I'll give Kindred a shot since I'm in for another round on that platform. But... I have now put two reminders and a desktop note to pause the platform next month!
We're only on Hulu again because of a discount for the next month. I want to see the beginning of "The 1619 Project" at the end of the month to see if we'll extend one more month. Looked at the upcoming calendar and nothing of interest to see besides 1619.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Kindred isn't bad and I plan to re-watch to catch all the things I'm sure I missed. But it dragged and 3 episodes could have been cut in lieu of 3 additional. I also could not get into the actor Micah Stock portraying Kevin Franklin. I wish they had cast someone else.

The only reason I'm currently on Hulu is the Black Friday deal I got making it $1.99/month for a year. Prior to this deal I bought a month so I could binge The Handmaid's Tale. The perk of this year's Hulu deal is it also bought me Disney+ at $2.99/month.

Last edited:

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Kindred isn't bad and I plan to re-watch to catch all the things. I'm sure I missed. But it dragged and 3 episodes could have been cut in lieu of 3 additional. I also could not get into the actor Micah Stock portraying Kevin Franklin. I wish they had cast someone else.

The only reason I'm currently on Hulu is the Black Friday deal I got making it $1.99/month for a year. Prior to this deal I bought a month so I could binge The Handmaid's Tale. The perk of this year's Hulu deal is it also bought me Disney+ at $2.99/month.
You're absolutely right. The series approach is all about dragging the story along to keep viewers coming back. I just don't understand why Kevin would sacrifice so much for someone he barely knows. Too much of a change from the novel. And I don't think the actors have any chemistry. Like you, I'll rewatch again this weekend to catch missed clues. And eventually read the book as I'm sure it's a better story.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
On Netflix, an original limited series in the spy thriller genre, titled "Treason" -- I started to watch it and then realized it's hardly suitable as almost-bedtime material. But I'll be back watching at least the rest of first episode tomorrow on a coffee break. Looks pretty interesting and scary.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I started Severance (2022) on AppleTV. It’s got a really strange, if not outlandish premise, employess of “Lumen” a corporation agree to a medical procedure, a small pill size electronic cylinder is inserted in their brain which puts a memory block between the time they spend at work on presumably sensitive stuff, analyzing data which appears simply as groups of numbers which they have no idea what the significance of these numbers are, and a complete mental block with their personal life. The official reason for this procedure is so that employees will be more productive at work, not burdened by outside influences, and presumably protect corporate secrets, but what secrets? 🤔

What I want to know without significant spoilers if have you watched it, is it worthy?

0CD8E8AD-92F6-4D07-A8BC-B9E6CA6AA970.jpeg

If you want to read more of my spoiler light observations, based on viewing 2 episodes:
In essence they wake up on a table at work after the procedure, and have zero memory of their past, are confused and have to go though an indoctrination.

Now this is just at work. When they get on the elevator to leave, their memories of all other aspects of their lives return, so in essence as long as they work for this corporation they live 2 complete and separate lives. And it’s so bad, on the work side of life, they feel like they are always there as far as their waking hours at work. They get on the elevator to leave, and immediately back on the elevator returning to work. It’s not so apparent, but the reverse must be said that their time off from work feels the same way.

I’ll set aside the idea this would ever become legal, and sounds like a recipe for psychosis and I’ll continue on without significant spoilers. :)

So as a viewer, you can ask yourself, would anyone ever agree to such outrageous work conditions? And after you get past that, the story is one of these employees during his time off is approached by a former employee, his immediate supervisor who was suddenly fired, and somehow has gotten some of his work memories back, so he (the one fired) knows they were friends at work. And the fired supervisor tells him, in essence, nothing is kosher at work. I’m not sold but I’ll invest 2 more hours to see how it goes. :D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

The reason why the The Walking Dead was so good Imo was because it was not as much about zombies, but what the humans do in a post apocalyptic existence, the choices made to survive and survival morality. Human threats must be dealt with often in lethal ways to protect the colony. This is basically thae same for every post-apocalyptic story. I hung in with TWD for about 7 seasons. Besides that, my possible favorite of this genre story is The Book of Eli, despite it’s religious overtones. And The Postman with Kevin Costner was acceptable.

Top Bottom
1 2