What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I am glad to know it wasn't just us. :)
Yep, one more episode like that and I'm out for good, they did the same thing during Boba Fett for a couple of episodes. They just dropped a nonsensical subplot out of nowhere, I mean where does that fit into any thing to do with the Mandalorian in any way?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Yep, one more episode like that and I'm out for good, they did the same thing during Boba Fett for a couple of episodes. They just dropped a nonsensical subplot out of nowhere, I mean where does that fit into any thing to do with the Mandalorian in any way?

No idea. I hope they didn't just waste our time for something that won't be relevant for future episodes.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Last of Us (HBO 2023-)- Three episodes in, a thumbs up, recommend based on a caveat, you like Post Apocalyptic thrillers, in this case a fungus that infects humans and hijacks their brains. Their primary intent becomes to infect others, spread the fungus.

My wife says “just another Walking Dead”. She did not like TWD. That may be kind of true but these stories, besides the primary threat is all about what people do in response and to each other. Episode 3 was an outstanding story arc about 2 people who find each other.

The idea of traveling from Boston to Wyoming seems quite the challenge under the circumstances 20 years after the world wide breakout, which is where this story is set, with flashbacks.

10D88192-6403-47F8-ABC8-281BE2519F8A.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Last of Us (HBO 2023-)- Three episodes in, a thumbs up, recommend based on a caveat, you like Post Apocalyptic thrillers, in this case a fungus that infects humans and hijacks their brains. Their primary intent becomes to infect others, spread the fungus.

My wife says “just another Walking Dead”. She did not like TWD. That may be kind of true but these stories, besides the primary threat is all about what people do in response and to each other. Episode 3 was an outstanding story arc about 2 people who find each other.

The idea of traveling from Boston to Wyoming seems quite the challenge under the circumstances 20 years after the world wide breakout, which is where this story is set, with flashbacks.

View attachment 22699
Finished the season, big thumbs up.

Yes, it felt very much like The Walking Dead, but I watched the 7 seasons of that before I got Negan fatigue. This story as a journey has a different tempo. I found all the flashback stories to be interesting.

I’ve not played the game, but the philosophical choice at the end is a thought provoker. I think most would see one choice as logical and pragmatic and the other choice as emotional and selfish, but which one could you better live with? I’m not expecting an answer without spoiler tags. :)

If the person with immunity was given the choice to save humanity or not, and wanted to, at the expense of their own life, as the person who loved them, this would be more difficult to resist the loved one’s desire to sacrifice themselves. But again, no choice was given. Elle was lied to for the greater good, and based on love, Joel took exception to that believing the cure was not worth it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve watched the first three (released) episodes of The Power on Prime.

It’s a genre and plot near and dear to my heart. The cast is great, with John Leguizamo in a different (for him) role. I’ve always liked him, but he’s managing to bring his own lightness to a serious role. My other favorite is Toheeb Jimoh, who many of you will recognize as Sam Obisanya from Ted Lasso. Don’t miss the introduction scene, as it pretty much tells you where this show is going.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
96440521-23E9-4432-9F96-21DF2162CF6A.jpeg

Watched for the second time. I‘ve watch a lot of post-apocalypse stories, and among the many, this has to be the best with caveats, it’s slow, if you don’t mind a story where multiple threads and timeline segments are woven and tied together, but imo it has great dynamics, the actor and the artist, some conflict and death, the Profit vs the Museum of Civilization, but this is minimized (aggravatingly so*) in favor of forging a narrative solidly based on character relationships and at the end, you just might feel you witnessed something special and emotional based on humanity and the good that can be found in us.

* I really wanted to see Kristen vs the Banditos. They give you a taste and then yank it away. :oops:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve watched the first three (released) episodes of The Power on Prime.

It’s a genre and plot near and dear to my heart. The cast is great, with John Leguizamo in a different (for him) role. I’ve always liked him, but he’s managing to bring his own lightness to a serious role. My other favorite is Toheeb Jimoh, who many of you will recognize as Sam Obisanya from Ted Lasso. Don’t miss the introduction scene, as it pretty much tells you where this show is going.
Watched the first episode before I realized it is on a weekly release schedule, now waiting till it’s complete to jump back in.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
JMO, but last nights The Mandalorian was one of the best episodes of the series. And if rumors are true, they have 1 episode left to wrap it all up. I could see them moving away from "Mando" and centering a series on Bo-Katan.

And the new Ahsoka trailer is out. It debuts in August. Sadly Andor won't be back until next summer.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Started watching Beef on Netflix because of all the praise. About 20 minutes in I decided it’s not for me. Basic story arc is 2 young people get into a minor road rage incident that I believe is going to escalate to absurd levels but I didn’t get there. After the initial incident they start going into the main character’s life, one hustling for work but struggling, the other appears to be the definition of success but is unhappy and questioning the lifestyle expected of successful people. They’re both on edge as a result. I’m sure this probably appeals to the younger generation but not my middle-aged ass. In what little I saw it felt like a pile on of cliches and I didn’t give a shit about any of the characters or their problems.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Started watching Beef on Netflix because of all the praise. About 20 minutes in I decided it’s not for me. Basic story arc is 2 young people get into a minor road rage incident that I believe is going to escalate to absurd levels but I didn’t get there. After the initial incident they start going into the main character’s life, one hustling for work but struggling, the other appears to be the definition of success but is unhappy and questioning the lifestyle expected of successful people. They’re both on edge as a result. I’m sure this probably appeals to the younger generation but not my middle-aged ass. In what little I saw it felt like a pile on of cliches and I didn’t give a shit about any of the characters or their problems.
I started The Night Agent and although it has good action, if felt off to me, then I saw Beef was No.1 on Netflix started it and thought ok this is a show about 2 people‘s relationship starting with a road rage type of incident, where will this go? Then in episode 2 it escalates and I agree I’m not sure I will be entertained where this is going. I mean there is a possibility we could be surprised, that it is not predictable. It is a 1 season story.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My new passion - Reginald the Vampire (Hulu). You just have to stick with the self-loathing through the first episode, Who knew there was fat-shaming in the vampire world!

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
JMO, but last nights The Mandalorian was one of the best episodes of the series. And if rumors are true, they have 1 episode left to wrap it all up. I could see them moving away from "Mando" and centering a series on Bo-Katan.

And the new Ahsoka trailer is out. It debuts in August. Sadly Andor won't be back until next summer.

I thought the last two episodes of The Mandalorian were excellent, especially the most recent one. According to Jon Favreau, season 4 has been written and is waiting to shoot, and will tie into Ahsoka. I don't know if Pedro Pascal has been signed for another season, but if the story line has him keeping his helmet on at all times, another actor could take over, as long as they can reasonably duplicate the monotone. (I don't want that to happen, but actors leave for various reasons.)

I have to admit, though, it's gotten hard to keep track of all the characters and entanglements in the Star Wars universe (or should I say galaxy). I keep coming across "new" characters I know I've seen before, though I'm not sure where. To some extent, I long for the simplicity of the first three movies.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I thought the last two episodes of The Mandalorian were excellent, especially the most recent one. According to Jon Favreau, season 4 has been written and is waiting to shoot, and will tie into Ahsoka. I don't know if Pedro Pascal has been signed for another season, but if the story line has him keeping his helmet on at all times, another actor could take over, as long as they can reasonably duplicate the monotone. (I don't want that to happen, but actors leave for various reasons.)

Awesome. I thought this was the last season.

I have to admit, though, it's gotten hard to keep track of all the characters and entanglements in the Star Wars universe (or should I say galaxy). I keep coming across "new" characters I know I've seen before, though I'm not sure where. To some extent, I long for the simplicity of the first three movies.

Would you like my daughter's number. She can fill you in on all of it to the point your ears will bleed. So at least I have a resource and we have been watching them "together" so if we have questions, we can ask.

But it is also one of the reasons I gave up on the MCU. Too much backstory was required.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Would you like my daughter's number. She can fill you in on all of it to the point your ears will bleed. So at least I have a resource and we have been watching them "together" so if we have questions, we can ask.

But it is also one of the reasons I gave up on the MCU. Too much backstory was required.
Thanks for the offer, but any entertainment franchise that takes more than a little mental effort isn't worth it to me. :)

I also have problems with the MCU, but mostly because there are too many characters and storylines I don't care about anymore. For example, the last Thor movie was a big disappointment, and I've mostly lost track of Spidermen (though Tom Holland's version is the best since Toby Maguire's, IMO.) The Star Wars franchise has also suffered from the "we'll milk it for as much as we can" problem, but bright spots like The Mandalorian and Andor keep me happy.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, but any entertainment franchise that takes more than a little mental effort isn't worth it to me. :)

I also have problems with the MCU, but mostly because there are too many characters and storylines I don't care about anymore. For example, the last Thor movie was a big disappointment, and I've mostly lost track of Spidermen (though Tom Holland's version is the best since Toby Maguire's, IMO.)

Same here.

As far as the MCU, what got me was I went to a Captain America movie and it was more of an Avenger's movie. I wanted to see CA, not everyone else they can throw into a costume.

And the DCU lost me with that absolutely horrible WW'84.

Top Bottom
1 2