What are you doing today?

Considering my sweet tooth, I find mango too sweet. However, I have been known to use a small amount to replace any kind of other sweetener.

Have you ever tried sprinkling salt (rather than sugar) on mango (or, watermelon)?

This was recommended to me by Afghan colleagues (who informed me that they had learned it in Pakistani refugee camps) but it is delicious.

Cancel culture, fucking libs!

Joking aside, sounds like the obvious and right thing to do. Still, I’m sure plenty of people will complain about this decision, how it infringes on their rights (to set Portland on fire? Isn’t that ironic?)
the problem is it just happened right after fireworks stands opened they maybe opened a few days ago. going to the big fireworks shows in portland is a hassle the traffic is crazy and it takes forever to get home. last year we had the tandem and it was like cool we can get there and back but nope they were canceled so we rode around and watched others set them off. Now none at all.

Have you ever tried sprinkling salt (rather than sugar) on mango (or, watermelon)?

This was recommended to me by Afghan colleagues (who informed me that they had learned it in Pakistani refugee camps) but it is delicious.

Another fun salt trick is it's supposed to reduce the bitterness of things like coffee. I don't drink coffee, but I've heard it works. According to Alton Brown, the salt blocks the bitter taste-bud receptors on the tongue or something like that (it's been a few years).

And of course, it enhances the flavor of things like watermelon as you mentioned. And that I have tried and it's outstanding!

Early trip to the UPS store (we usually use USPS, but this was an Amazon return), hit up the DMV to cancel the old tag<>car record (hahaha, it took < 3 minutes, walked in, got number, didn't make it to the seats, it was 8:20a, technically 10 minutes before they open).

Then a doc appt follow up, at the wrong office, it wasn't me, I even verified this was a different office, glad I got there super early, as I was able to make it to the correct office, almost on time (Tesla Powa! :D) Now I just have a sweet scar.

Speaking of the Tesla, kind of the first "regular use" sort of day, and it was superb, quiet, quick, stellar audio, and I just grinned when I passed the $3.65/g gas stations :geek:)

Wrote a bit of code, helped the startup with some planning, and finished up the bedroom paint! We also ordered new blinds today for that room - specifically custom roman shades.

Boating today, off the coast. We’re still not traveling so we diverted those usual funds to learn about it. I went in cold and had a few lessons. I’m still nervous prior to going out. It’s a boat club we’re using, so pretty hassle free.

My dad used to put salt on his watermelon. No clue where he picked that up. As much as I like salt, I just like my watermelon the way Mother Nature presents it.
Another fun salt trick is it's supposed to reduce the bitterness of things like coffee. I don't drink coffee, but I've heard it works. According to Alton Brown, the salt blocks the bitter taste-bud receptors on the tongue or something like that (it's been a few years).
Back in the days when we used a percolator, I would throw salt in on top of the coffee grounds to smooth out the flavor. Then they invented better coffee makers, and improved coffee in general.

Along with the natural water and sugar in the melon, a bit of salt helps keep electrolytes in balance in the heat.

Fiddling around / nerding out, over this ...

Fiddling around / nerding out, over this ...

What will you do during the robot uprising when all those 'smart' devices turn on you?

Oh wait. You'll probably be leading the uprising.

What will you do during the robot uprising when all those 'smart' devices turn on you?

Oh wait. You'll probably be leading the uprising.
Death to all humans, I don't see any other way.

Well that's one way to "own the libs" I guess.

Well, the "other" party sure as hell aren't robots, but they're not human either, more like rodents, so I'm not sure where they'll land post-Robo_Apocalypse ...

That’s why you should add a “please” when ordering your digital assistants around. That way you can at least hope they kill you politely during the uprising.

Hahaha, that's why I gently release spiders outside, in case it's the end comes by way of Giant Telepathic Spiders ...

1625066781557.png

My dad used to put salt on his watermelon. No clue where he picked that up. As much as I like salt, I just like my watermelon the way Mother Nature presents it.

Back in the days when we used a percolator, I would throw salt in on top of the coffee grounds to smooth out the flavor. Then they invented better coffee makers, and improved coffee in general.

I'm not a watermelon fan myself but I do remember my father and others putting salt on their slices of watermelon..... my mother preferred hers plain and I just didn't and still don't care for it at all, although I understand that it is quite refreshing on a hot summer's day....

Back