What are you doing today?

About £12 a go from memory, plus tip.
For reference the sign on his door says ฿60 for a men’s cut. I’ve paid him 100 ever since we found him and just started paying 150 basically on the few occasions I’ve been in since the apocalypse started.

So his “normal” price is (unless he’s changed it and the sign is wrong) £1.33 / $US 1.85 for a men’s cut.

as a bonus, he doesn’t speak English and he knows I speak very little Thai, so there’s no unnecessary barber shop chit chat, and I’m unique enough in his shop that he never has to ask what I want.

I used to think I was getting a good price In Melbourne at $AU15 (£8/$US 11).

For men.

The ladies pay a sort of gender tax.
I’m not sure what it’s like for women specifically here but the shopping mall “salon” type places are ridiculously more expensive (฿500+) even for men’s cuts, compared to the little side-alley men’s barbers I prefer.

I don’t know that my wife has ever visited a “proper” hairdresser in the time I’ve known her - she just recently had her sister trim it a bit shorter.

I’m in route back to England from doing a short-term job in the Ethiopia/Kenya area. The job is finished for now, the election in Ethiopia was Saturday and the present government is staying in power. The good news is food aid is moving into the Tigray region, hopefully is will continue, but food has been used in the past to make people submit, it is a shame. Not holding my breath. I should be back in time to catch the England/ Italy match, I know my English and Italian friends are going crazy from the texts I’m receiving, hopefully it will be a good match.

I’m in route back to England from doing a short-term job in the Ethiopia/Kenya area. The job is finished for now, the election in Ethiopia was Saturday and the present government is staying in power. The good news is food aid is moving into the Tigray region, hopefully is will continue, but food has been used in the past to make people submit, it is a shame. Not holding my breath. I should be back in time to catch the England/ Italy match, I know my English and Italian friends are going crazy from the texts I’m receiving, hopefully it will be a good match.
All I can think when reading your post is - OMG, the coffee experience!

We need a new thread to brag about heights and weights 😂

I would possibly feel compelled in self defense to take such a thread off topic immediately by posting about how tall morning glories grow and how heavy a bale of straw is.

Just don't ask if I've broken my fragile pledge to stay away from potato chips this summer. I might have to haul out even another distraction. A cartoon, maybe.

not quite confessing.jpg

I would possibly feel compelled in self defense to take such a thread off topic immediately by posting about how tall morning glories grow and how heavy a bale of straw is.

Just don't ask if I've broken my fragile pledge to stay away from potato chips this summer. I might have to haul out even another distraction. A cartoon, maybe.

View attachment 6959
…or you could just imply that it’s mostly muscles, not fat. 😁

OK so who's focused on football (the European kind of course) tonight? I confess to keeping a tab of the Guardian open to follow along with their live updates.... ANYTHING to keep from addressing the lagging ends of my weekend chores....

OK so who's focused on football (the European kind of course) tonight? I confess to keeping a tab of the Guardian open to follow along with their live updates.... ANYTHING to keep from addressing the lagging ends of my weekend chores....

I only have antenna TV. I wanted to watch this but didn’t want to pay for a streaming service. Turns out it is on the Spanish-language channel OTA!

I only have antenna TV. I wanted to watch this but didn’t want to pay for a streaming service. Turns out it is on the Spanish-language channel OTA!
Do you also record OTA? I bought the Amazon Recast a while back and man this thing is the best tech since sliced bread IMO. I can set it up in any room and it doesn't have to be near a TV, records up to 500GB that I can then stream to any of my TVs with the Firestick, all for just an initial investment for the box and no other fees.

I also record a lot of shows from METV, Antenna, etc. all without paying any monthly fees, downloading apps or any of it. Very cool setup.

Do you also record OTA? I bought the Amazon Recast a while back and man this thing is the best tech since sliced bread IMO. I can set it up in any room and it doesn't have to be near a TV, records up to 500GB that I can then stream to any of my TVs with the Firestick, all for just an initial investment for the box and no other fees.

I also record a lot of shows from METV, Antenna, etc. all without paying any monthly fees, downloading apps or any of it. Very cool setup.
I have an HD HomeRun box but it’s only for cable TV. I bought it for $20 on craigslist back when I had cable. I installed Plex on an old Mac and used that to record tons of movies off of cable TV. A new HD HomeRun for OTA would be over $100, but maybe I should look on Craigslist for a used one. My in-laws have an HD HomeRun hooked up to OTA and it works well.

Just drying the tears now. Absolutely gutted. What a terrible way to lose.

Wow.

Fascinating, and a part of the world I know reasonably well.

Stay safe.

And yes, Ethiopia, is home to some amazing and extraordinarily good coffee.....as is Kenya.

Back