What are you doing today?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Well today is the start of the new adventure. The U-Haul is packed and we will be pulling out here in a few. Of course this is not the final move, just a trip to get some of our stuff out there. Stuff we really want to keep, but don't need for the next month or two while we close up here.

Looks like smooth sailing until we hit the AZ border. I-40 is closed for the 3rd time this week due to snow. In Arizona. :eek: LOL

I just hope it is clear by the time we get there because going the southern route adds like 4 hours.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Well today is the start of the new adventure. The U-Haul is packed and we will be pulling out here in a few. Of course this is not the final move, just a trip to get some of our stuff out there. Stuff we really want to keep, but don't need for the next month or two while we close up here.

Looks like smooth sailing until we hit the AZ border. I-40 is closed for the 3rd time this week due to snow. In Arizona. :eek: LOL

I just hope it is clear by the time we get there because going the southern route adds like 4 hours.

The southern "scenic route" has novel offerings this season, eh? Hope the journey has proven safe as well as scenic. Just think, you're close enough to some spring training games when you ever get there to pop in and sample a few after unpacking.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Posting this one up for @Alli, who has had to defend the Oxford comma to me in the past. Not that I need to help make her case but this one is good lol.

x9nze9txqdoa1.jpg

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Gardening mostly today. Weeding this morning. Then attacking the tree stump for a bit. Then gave the new battery mower its first outing. Very impressed. Saved me loads of time verses my old corded one.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Counting the days. And there are around 50 of them.

And that is until I am free of ICE powered lawn equipment. Well almost. I am going to keep my big Stihl chainsaw, but will sell my small one as my battery powered one works just as well.

And why do I have this glee you ask? Well yesterday while mowing the lawn with my 18 year old Honda for some reason it decided it didn't need the bowl on the carburetor, so the nut came loose and it just fell off. Now in theory this is a very easy fix. And putting the bowl back on was, but getting the carb back on the mower while making sure the automatic throttle and choke components were all align properly was a bear. Probably took it on and off half a dozen times until I got everything working. Do not see how Honda does this with any efficiency in the factory.

I had gone mostly battery within the past couple of years for blowers & trimmers, but not a mower. And since I won't have grass in AZ, no need for them anymore as well.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Changed the oil and filter on my truck ('99 F-150 flare side) yesterday. And will be taking the drained oil and filter to the recycling center today.

Exciting times! :)

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
i need to get out for my dog walk and then keep working on the spring garden cleanup. should have mulch delivered/spread next week and have to get in front of the landscapers!

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I am going to keep my big Stihl chainsaw, but will sell my small one as my battery powered one works just as well.

We had a lot of trees at our previous home that needed pruning/removal. Moving from my gas-powered Stihl to a battery-powered Makita saw was life-changing. Always hated mixing oil/gas, cleanup, getting the saw primed/started (wondering if it was going to snap my wrist), and storing gas on the premises.

All in all I've been really happy with my Makita battery-powered tools (drills, drivers, recipro-saw, sander, small circular saw, jigsaw, tire inflator, leaf blower) and batteries.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Monday has become my busy day. Table française at 1, where I work with adult learners, local literacy council at 4, where I work with primary school students, and then I can go out to dinner with my neighbors. We’re going to introduce her to Thai tonight.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
[ A little bird told me people have been asking about me... sorry to have fallen off the boards here for awhile]

Waiting for the return of my newly repaired 2020 MBA, making its way to my porch again on some FedEx truck at the end of a flight from Houston overnight. I dunno what caused it to start acting like a drunken sailor on St. Paddy's day but whatever it was, it was covered under AppleCare+ because they didn't phone me up with the dreaded inquiry about whether I'd like to spring for something not covered. They got the machine yesterday morning at 1017am, texted they were done repairing at 3pm and it was on a plane back here last night. Yay!

I've been busy taking data off its cloned and TM backups to put on a new-to-me Apple refurb M1-MBA, bought after a couple weeks of doing homework I had put off for a couple years while knowing I was operating without a reliable backup machine after Apple declared obsolete the mid-2012 MacBook Pros.

Moral of story: there are some things one should not put off, and buying a newer laptop when necessary is one of them. Now the M1-MBA will be my primary machine and the other one my fallback and guinea pig for new MacOS releases and etc. software experiments.

With any luck Apple installed Ventura on the 2020 MBA headed to my back porch this afternoon. I was still running Monterey on it before it crashed and burned, but if Apple had to wipe the drive or replace it then they're likely to put Ventura on it, not Monterey, and I won't mind. I'm going to wait a bit and keep Monterey on the M1 for now since I'm still deciding which data to keep on which machine and I like that the backups I'm working with were all done under Monterey so there's no grumbling about any library issues.

Well anyway in the interim, a near month of operating on a klutzy combo of an iPhone XR, a 10.5" iPad Pro, a vintage MacBook running El Capitan (offline) and some USB sneakernetting from backup drives to that MacBook plus a few quick excursions into the Cloud to get some Notes on board the MacBook, have taught me I need not to be without two reliable laptops again. I like iOS and iPadOS but not for anything involving much typing, and I'm not even a fan of BT keyboards either. I'll be a very happy camper knowing I'm back to having 2 machines in good shape on hand.

I'm also sick and tired of reading about machines and people's experience with them by now, but grateful for the input and I'm happy with my choice. I got the refurb M1 with just 8GB RAM after reading up on it vs my needs and compared to 8GB of Intel RAM. Stuck with 512GB storage because that has worked out well for me with my other MBA. When I ever recover from all that windowshopping and fine print reading, my next project is to upgrade my iOS and iPadOS gear, some of which is getting long enough in the tooth to land in the vintage pile if I don't look out. But that's for awhile down the road.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
In 10 minutes I’m leaving for our monthly women’s club meeting. I’ve spent the last 20 minutes in texts with the board. I am very much looking forward to a board change next year.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Practicing wearing my Apple watch on my right wrist, keeping my iPhone in my right back pants pocket, and buttoning my pants and putting on my socks with one hand. Next Monday i get rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder, and I’ll be in a sling/brace contraption for at least 3 weeks.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Practicing wearing my Apple watch on my right wrist, keeping my iPhone in my right back pants pocket, and buttoning my pants and putting on my socks with one hand. Next Monday i get rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder, and I’ll be in a sling/brace contraption for at least 3 weeks.
You will be amazed what you can do. Went through something similar in 2021. June was left hand/wrist surgery, November was my right. I also couldn't drive for 3-4 weeks post each surgery. Uber/Lyft made a fortune off of me getting me to/from my OT sessions. Be glad you don't have to deal with a bra. :p

Have fun & I'm sending scads of positive healing mojo your way! ⚡

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery, will be looking for prescription drug-laden posts as you recover. :p

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery, will be looking for prescription drug-laden posts as you recover. :p
They told me they should be submitting my prescription to walgreens today, for OxyContin.

I can’t imagine I will take any, though. My plan is to make do with alternating high doses of acetaminophen and ibuprofen if needed. I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder a long time ago and recovery was very quick and not very painful. Of course, I was half my age back then, and this surgery is more invasive than that one, so we’ll see.

If I end up on the oxy, aside from the side effects and possibility of addiction, I can’t do ethically do any work. I told the nurse I didn’t want the prescription, but she insisted.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I only took my Oxy at night. So I could sleep. Two days following each surgery, once all the surgical pain drugs left my system, my pain shot to Defcon level. That kind of happens when they saw off your Ulna bone and large pieces of rheumatoid wrist disfiguration.

But I got off the Oxy as quick as possible. Still have almost a full prescription bottle left. Just stay ahead of your pain curve.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
They told me they should be submitting my prescription to walgreens today, for OxyContin.

I can’t imagine I will take any, though. My plan is to make do with alternating high doses of acetaminophen and ibuprofen if needed. I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder a long time ago and recovery was very quick and not very painful. Of course, I was half my age back then, and this surgery is more invasive than that one, so we’ll see.

If I end up on the oxy, aside from the side effects and possibility of addiction, I can’t do ethically do any work. I told the nurse I didn’t want the prescription, but she insisted.
Not sure about the pain from the type of surgery you're getting but I was exactly the same after having my gallbladder removed and only took over the counter Tylenol.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Best of luck.

I need it, but if I would simply do the rehab you have to do post-op, I would probably be fine. Three knee surgeries and I am still scared of getting my shoulder done. :0

Top Bottom
1 2