What are you doing today?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow. I’d forgotten all about this thread.

Good luck, Cliff!
Thanks! Surgeon is former team doctor for the Dodgers and Angels, so I feel like I’m in good hands. The surgery I had years ago on my other shoulder was the surgeon for the Knicks. You’d think after all this they’d turn me into a competent athlete or something.

Trying to get used to wearing my watch on my right arm is not going well…

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Trying to get used to wearing my watch on my right arm is not going well…

1683759563361.png

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, you could go for sandals. It is getting on to warmer weather. The judge would probably accept your apologies if you explain. If your boss does not, time to start shopping around.

Good luck.
I usually wear blue and orange sneakers to court. I’ve found that the judges can’t really see your feet. I think I can’t get away with that in Texas, though, so there I wear black sneakers.

I wear jeans and Cuban shirts to depositions, because I’m not the one being recorded, and it distracts my opponent every time.

I may keep the sling to use as a prop after I‘m all healed up.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am packed, and ready to get in the car to head down to Jax to pick my my mother. We will then continue to St. Augustine and spend the night with my brother. That means dinner with the family including my youngest nephew. Tomorrow the two of us will head down to St. Pete to spend Mother’s Day weekend with my kids and my other nephew. I’ll be home Tuesday so that I can get to the dentist first thing Wednesday morning so he can stick in my implants.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My wife purchased a new Toyota Venza hybrid auto. So, after we add it to our insurance policy (and remove her old car) we're going to hit the road for a few hours.

The tech on the Venza is outstanding and pretty amazing. Especially the topdown view from the car assembled (and distortion-corrected) from multiple cameras, along with potential hazards outlined, and displayed on a large screen. I guess that qualifies as a kind of AR

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Odd that this thread popped back up on my radar when I actually have major news for the day. Today I took the day off because my wife's son is coming home.

The reason it's exciting is around Christmas, he got the flu. But he didn't bother going to the doctor. On January 2nd, he finally went to the a doctor and they told him to go to the ER. The ER said he had the flu and it had turned into pneumonia and admitted him. The next day, they transferred him to a different hospital in town and stuck him on a ventilator, a dialysis machine and an ECMO machine (it's removes the CO2 from the blood and replaces it with O2). Then he finally died for a while. About 15 minutes as I recall. Fortunately they were able to fix that. Then he was in the ICU for 2-3 months. A few weeks ago he finally left the hospital and went to a skilled nursing facility. Now his 20 days are up there, but he still has a big bed sore wound and he's still not really back on his feet. The plan was to stick him in the next level down from a skilled nursing facility for physical therapy, but due to his wound and wound vac, the next level of rehab won't take him. So he's finally coming home.

It seems at this point he'll have a nurse come in 2-3 times per week to deal with his wound and to help with physical therapy. It's my understanding that once his wound is better, he'll then qualify to go back into the system and be placed in a rehab center where they can concentrate on getting him up and moving again. Hard to say if he'll actually go to a rehab place or not. I know he's anxious to be back home. And it would be just like him to pick comfort over his own well being. He's one of those people that makes decisions without thinking through the consequences and then goes full steam ahead until he hits a brick wall. He's not big on examining his options up front. He's more a doer than a thinker. I could write a book on the dumbass stuff he does.

He probably would have gotten better care, but while he works for Nike and Nike offers fantastic insurance, he didn't sign up (again, he tends to make stupid, irrational choices in life). He was extremely fortunate that OHP (Oregon Health Plan aka Medicaid) decided to cover him. But while OHP is better than being uninsured, it still isn't as good as "normal" insurance, so now he's stuck in limbo since no one will accept him in his current condition and with his insurance.

So anyway, he returns home today. And we have to find a way to move a grown man (he's in his '30s) from the car up 5 steps to the living room. From there's it's another 6 steps up to where the kitchen is. Finally just 5 more steps up to the level where his bedroom is. I expect that to be an ordeal. I suggested we stick him on a hand-truck. It would take minutes to get him to his bed, but his mom shot down that idea for some reason. 😂 I have no clue why we don't have a wheelchair to get him in the house. He'll have to made do with a walker and frequent breaks I guess since he's not climbed a step in 6 months.

On the plus side, he's actually made incredible progress. He's been a success story from start to finish. It seems most people who need an ECMO machine don't typically survive and of those who do, they typically face more serious issues (like losing limbs). That machine was the reason he was originally moved from Hospital A (Providence St. Vincent's) to Hospital B (Legacy Emmanuel) on day 2. Hospital A didn't have the equipment or staff to run it and they're one of the bigger hospitals in town. He managed to come through that intact. His biggest ongoing issue is that it's possible he might need to be on oxygen the rest of his life. There was a lot of damage to his lungs. It's one of those "wait and see" situations. Regardless, he's come quite a long way from being dead, so it's a joyous day.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
My wife purchased a new Toyota Venza hybrid auto. So, after we add it to our insurance policy (and remove her old car) we're going to hit the road for a few hours.

The tech on the Venza is outstanding and pretty amazing. Especially the topdown view from the car assembled (and distortion-corrected) from multiple cameras, along with potential hazards outlined, and displayed on a large screen. I guess that qualifies as a kind of AR
I was looking at a Venza after talking with someone at work that just got one. We are looking to get trade up from a 2019 very basic model Kia Niro hybrid to the Toyota Venza. The only thing I don't seem to like is the milage. The guy at my work says he is getting 44 mpg, our Niro is getting 50 - 53 mpg. I know that driving style could be a factor in his mileage. What is your real world mileage?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was looking at a Venza after talking with someone at work that just got one. We are looking to get trade up from a 2019 very basic model Kia Niro hybrid to the Toyota Venza. The only thing I don't seem to like is the milage. The guy at my work says he is getting 44 mpg, our Niro is getting 50 - 53 mpg. I know that driving style could be a factor in his mileage. What is your real world mileage?

We have around 400 miles on ours now. Almost all stop-n-go city driving (so far). And it's consistently between 39 and 40 MPG (according to the display).

Love the cabin/displays tech!

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
My news isn't earthshaking but I'm currently in some stage of prep or mid-shoot of (3) different commercials filming in Canada: Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto. I don't get to go but I admit I've been fangirling a tad over our Vancouver job's DoP, David Franco. He has quite an interesting Cinematographer IMDB. He has worked on Stranger Things, Ray Donovan, Perry Mason (recent series), Westworld, and (6) episodes of my fav, Game of Thrones. So I've been very much enjoying our emails and even a surprise phone call. :)

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
My mother was feeling kind of blah, so her friend took her to the hospital. After some while, they decided she was having an afib issue, so they did a thing, which is like the thing with the paddles only at a much lower power level, which seemed to help. They think she will need a CPAP, but first they have to do a sleep study.

While she was in the hospital, the doctor came around to check her out. A fragment of the conversation went

Dr: And have you been experiencing any pain?
Mom: I sometimes have this pain that goes from my shoulder to my neck.
Dr: How would you rate its intensity, on a scale of 1 to 10?
Mom: Oh, about eight, I guess.
Dr: Eight?? And you didn't tell anyone?
Mom: The staff were all so busy. I didn't want to bother anyone.

That is us. We are at least partly of Swedish stock (she more than I). I thought of our Scandinavian stoicism when I heard that a juicy hill was spewing red lava not even 20 miles from Reykjavik, and I was picturing the locals going "meh."

Top Bottom
1 2