What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Monsters, Inc (2001)- One of the Pixar greats! :)

35380268-5A02-417C-9727-E8C258476559.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Guardians Vol3- just saw it, going to give it a ”C”. As someone who loved the previous 2 volumes, I’m prepared to say it is a good movie, however, I won’t really know if it is possible to love until after I stream it For a second viewing.

• All of the characters have evolved except maybe for Drax, which is ok by me. ;)
  • It‘s a departure from the previous volumes because it is dark involving genetic manipulation and torture, but not for tortures sake, but for science and the goals of one powerful individual Who wants to reshape the universe. Sound familiar? 🤔
  • It is so dark, most of the humor injected feels out of place. Some viewers will likely disagree with me about how dark it is.
  • The plot is fairly simple, but the implementation of elements is messy. I did not care for some of the choices made in writing regarding created species and civilizations.
  • There is one impressive choreographed CGI fight scene, if you can be impressed by that. :)
  • I did not like the more modern selection of music.
  • They did an excellent job of making it clear this is not the same Gamora that died in Infinity War.
  • If you remember the reference to Adam in the Vol2 post-credit scene, both he and Ayesha of the Sovereign are there.
Speculation about Vol4 :
Watched GotG3 a second time. B-
  • Rocket’s backstory is worthy.
  • Ravager Gamora is worthy.
  • Quill’s attempts to reconnect with Gamora are worthy.
  • This is a serious story.
  • Jumping back and forth between being funny and serious did not work.
  • The High Evolutionary was a disappointment.
  • Kick ass group fight.
  • I did not like Alt-Earth and question if any superior intelligence would make a society of creatures with mixed and matched parts just because. It felt like oh the audience will laugh at this. 🤔
  • The end was good but this is not a story I’m eager to watch again.

Last edited:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Watched GotG3 a second time. B-
  • Rocket’s backstory is worthy.
  • Ravager Gamora are worthy.
  • Quill’s attempts to reconnect with Gamora are worthy.
  • This is a serious story.
  • Jumping back and forth between being funny and serious did not work.
  • The High Evolutionary was a disappointment.
  • Kick ass group fight.
  • I did not like Alt-Earth and question if any superior intelligence would make a society of creatures with mixed and matched parts just because. It felt like oh the audience will laugh at this. 🤔
  • The end was good but this is not a story I’m eager to watch again.
I mostly agree with you, especially your point about humor. Not that it had no place in a darker, more serious plot than the previous movies, but it felt forced, as if the writers felt they needed to interject a funny exchange (mostly at Drax's expense) here and there. Yeah, Counter-Earth was weird. I guess the inhabitants were supposed to be like us, just different-looking. and Lyllla, Teefs, and Floor looked like leftover mutant toys from Toy Story.

I disagree a bit about the group fight scenes, mostly because I'm getting tired of good guys battling onslaughts of hundreds of CGI machines, which have become a staple of movies like this. The fight I enjoyed most in GOTG 3 was the one at OrgoCorp, especially where Quill tricks Ura into letting him use her workstation.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Dumb and Dumber. Hard to pick a favorite scene - there were so many great ones - but I keep going back to the look on the cop's face when he's swishing the beer urine around in his mouth. Pity the sequel wasn't nearly as funny.

The bathroom scene hands down. 💩

And no it wasn’t.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Heart of Stone (2023)- Spy thriller, a bit over the top, a little too slick, the fight sequences energetic, but not the best, definitely not Atomic Blond quality.

CAD13955-FFF9-468B-AEBF-3844070ECE5B.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Heart of Stone (2023)- Spy thriller, a bit over the top, a little too slick, the fight sequences energetic, but not the best, definitely not Atomic Blond quality.
We watched that recently. Enjoyed it.

Last night we watched the new The Flash. Much better than anticipated. Much! Ezra Miller was just phenomenal.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Guns of Navarone 1961- A favorite, with a general historical basis, but no giant guns and no espionage mission to destroy them. First saw this at the theater 8 years old. :)

BCBB932A-082A-4E22-ABCA-7B689A9313C8.jpeg

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally watched Everything, Everywhere, All At Once fully expecting to like it but was disappointed.

The first act was fun and promising but ultimately it became a slog for me. It’s original af and I admire the narrative complexity but it doesn’t add up to much.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

More funny than scary. It's like if one of the Jackass guys locked himself in a haunted house and viewers on the live stream chat dare him to do things while making fun of him. Big thumbs up from me.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Caine Mutiny remake on Showtime. I’m a fan of the Humphrey Bogart version and I’m really impressed with this new one. Same story, very different execution, and the last film for William Friedkin and Lance Reddick. Recommend.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dune 2021)- I rewatched it this afternoon and stand humbly before you to say this is a great movie. 😳

The oppressive music I complained about in 2021, that was a theater issue. This time, everything held my interest, the intrique which might have been explained better (as to why The Emperor would set up House Atreides), I read the book multiple times so I know. The prophesy was significant, and the short knife fight assuring Atreides acceptance as Freemen gave me a shiver because of the skill and it’s magnitude, even if it is Hollywood make believe. :)

My understating is a 2024 release for Part 2.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Dune 2021)- I rewatched it this afternoon and stand humbly before you to say this is a great movie. 😳

My understating is a 2024 release for Part 2.

I haven't seen the 2021 version, but remember after seeing the original I had to go read the book to understand the story.

Will this being broken up in 2 parts allow the movie to include enough info so that you don't walk out wondering what the hell you just saw and why you didn't understand it?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't seen the 2021 version, but remember after seeing the original I had to go read the book to understand the story.

Will this being broken up in 2 parts allow the movie to include enough info so that you don't walk out wondering what the hell you just saw and why you didn't understand it?
Part 2 was delayed, scheduled to be released 2024. If you don’t remember, this movie lets you know there is intrique and double crossing going on but no background.

In essence the Emperor who is jealous of Atreides (his cousin?) sends the Atreides family to Dune to set them up to fail and allow the Harkonans, former Spice Masters, with help from the emperors special forces to wipe them out. This is kept from the council of planets who if they found out might start a war against the Emperor. As you know, Paul has been taught by the witches, his mother a witch, and is the prophesized to be a messiah who will wrought BF changes to the current pecking order.
:)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_3046.jpeg

Atomic Blond (2017) is one of the best modern spy thrillers ever made. Berlin, when The Wall came down, 1989 with great music. An agent list both sides want, especially the name of a top double agent, floating around East Berlin, the East Berlin Head Station Agent gone “native“ (MacAvoy), agent Broughton (Theron) tasked to retrieve the list. Incredibly this got an only 64% audience review. I have less respect for audiences. 🤨 Charlize Theron, James MacAvoy, and cast are all perfect.

The story is top notch, misdirection throughout. The fight sequences are unsurpassed, while bleeding into over the top, maintaining a feeling and looking freaking amazingly realistic, thrilling, especially the apartment stairwell sequence. My definition of over the top? When humans take hits that to me look like they would normally end the fight, but they keep going. Top industry stunt actors painstakingly mapped out fight sequences using technique which made every contact look, have weight and feel real. The ending is not a let down either. 🙂

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
In the middle of Huntington, WV there is a river. And next to that river there is a steel mill. And next to the steel mill there is a school. In the middle of this school, there is a fountain. Each year on the exact same day, at the exact same hour, the water to this fountain is turned off. And in this moment once every year, through out the town, throughout the school, time stands still. November 14, 1970.

💚From ashes we rose.... WE ARE... MARSHALL💚

Top Bottom
1 2