What Movie Are You Watching?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Incredibly this got an only 64% audience review. I have less respect for audiences. 🤨

Generally speaking I think some negative reviews are the result of people going with no clue what the movie is going to be about or presented and/or they just like somebody involved in the movie. A couple times a year my parents go to a movie they are highly disappointed in but I could have told them that ahead of time, sometimes even shocked they went to see it.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Saw the new Mission: Impossible in IMAX last night. It was glorious nonsense and the long running time flew by. There’s an amazing train scene at the end; CGI, I’m assuming, but still solid.
I watched it at home last night. Nonsense is a good description, but I didn't think it was as glorious as you did. Maybe it was better in a theater, but I found it boring — it could have been at least 30 minutes shorter. Also, all the publicity about how the motorcycle jump was shot (and, yes, it was an amazing stunt by Cruise) made the scene anticlimactic.
  • Following the first it's here, now it's there two-part key was annoying, and the fact that it existed at all didn't make sense.
  • I didn't believe Paris would change her allegiance so easily.
  • The car chase went on too long, and we've seen almost all of it (cars destroying other vehicles, going down staircases) before. Even allowing for the suspension of disbelief (no real cars can stand that punishment), it was too much.
  • I wanted to see more of Simon and Benji. MI, including the original TV series, was always about a well-coordinated team. This was lacking here.
  • It was hard to believe that Benji could run loose in the baggage handling facility without someone seeing him, even if Simon took care of the video surveillance cameras.
  • I guess The Entity AI was supposed to be the villain along with Gabriel, but neither seemed that threatening.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched it at home last night. Nonsense is a good description, but I didn't think it was as glorious as you did. Maybe it was better in a theater, but I found it boring — it could have been at least 30 minutes shorter. Also, all the publicity about how the motorcycle jump was shot (and, yes, it was an amazing stunt by Cruise) made the scene anticlimactic.
  • Following the first it's here, now it's there two-part key was annoying, and the fact that it existed at all didn't make sense.
  • I didn't believe Paris would change her allegiance so easily.
  • The car chase went on too long, and we've seen almost all of it (cars destroying other vehicles, going down staircases) before. Even allowing for the suspension of disbelief (no real cars can stand that punishment), it was too much.
  • I wanted to see more of Simon and Benji. MI, including the original TV series, was always about a well-coordinated team. This was lacking here.
  • It was hard to believe that Benji could run loose in the baggage handling facility without someone seeing him, even if Simon took care of the video surveillance cameras.
  • I guess The Entity AI was supposed to be the villain along with Gabriel, but neither seemed that threatening.
Indeed, everything is better in IMAX 🤣

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Indeed, everything is better in IMAX 🤣
Maybe so! I've been to several IMAX showings, but only one was a theatrical release that was mostly shown in theaters. I found it a bit disorienting and had to move my head around more than I liked. The other films, which were made only for IMAX, were great, though.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Giant (1956)- Classic greatness. Possibly the best movie about Texas ever made for the following reasons. Texas culture circa early 20th Century, prejudice, social inequality, although brief, realistic historical perspective about the origins of Texas from Bick Benedict’s wife (Liz Taylor), and the transformation of a large ranch owner under the influence of his wife from Maryland who regards these Texans as cave men, their wives treated like glorified children, but she is smart enough to navigate the Texas waters. James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, best performances!
🙂

IMG_3067.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally got around to seeing Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)- Streaming on Disney+, the opening sequence makes this movie, best CGI character de-aging I’ve seen. The rest is formulaic, but nostalgic and fun and I was actually pleasantly surprised by the ending. Much better than the Crystal Skull.

IMG_3068.jpeg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Finally got around to seeing Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)- Streaming on Disney+, the opening sequence makes this movie, best CGI character de-aging I’ve seen. The rest is formulaic, but nostalgic and fun and I was actually pleasantly surprised by the ending. Much better than the Crystal Skull.

Don't think it could have been worse. ;)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

I haven’t seen it yet, but will soon. Never saw Crystal Skull and don’t plan to.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Double Feature- I know not everyone agrees, but 2 of the finest MCU stories, the exact right balance of drama and humor, plus great music that propels it. Vol 2 has one of the most imaginative starts, a blend of action, music, and a dancing Grout.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Double Feature- I know not everyone agrees, but 2 of the finest MCU stories, the exact right balance of drama and humor, plus great music that propels it. Vol 2 has one of the most imaginative starts, a blend of action, music, and a dancing Grout.

Two of my MCU favorites as well. Every time I hear Mr. Blue Sky I think of Baby Groot dancing, and whenever someone asks me for tape I think of Rocket trying to teach him about the bomb.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Has anyone here seen the movie Matewan? It was just selected as one of the 25 movies going into the NFR. It also previously won an Oscar for Cinematography.

The movie is set in Matewan WV (which is the same general are as where the Hatfield/McCoy feud was centered) at the height of the unionizing effort by the workers.

Now it's probably no surprise I am not a big union supporter. But this movie does help you understand why the unions were necessary back then.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone here seen the movie Matewan? It was just selected as one of the 25 movies going into the NFR. It also previously won an Oscar for Cinematography.

The movie is set in Matewan WV (which is the same general are as where the Hatfield/McCoy feud was centered) at the height of the unionizing effort by the workers.

Now it's probably no surprise I am not a big union supporter. But this movie does help you understand why the unions were necessary back then.
I’ll have to find this for viewing. Sadly can’t find a streaming source and not going to buy it for $20.
Hiwever the movie is on YouTube and I might be able to cast it from iPad to AppleTV, but no clue about resolution…

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’ll have to find this for viewing. Sadly can’t find a streaming source and not going to buy it for $20.
Hiwever the movie is on YouTube and I might be able to cast it from iPad to AppleTV, but no clue about resolution…

There is a way to watch this for free, YouTube Channel on your TV or tablet, not YouTubeTV. :D

IMG_3083.jpeg

James Earl Jones, Chris Cooper​

Matewon (1987)-The perfect example of why unions exist. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but the wife and I enjoyed it and the story it tells. As the primary character, union organizer says, you men are just tools,the company uses until you break, then they hire another. What is despicable is that they were not paid in money, but Company Script, so they could not save any money, only purchase items at the company store which prices rose and fell at the convienence of the company.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...be-part-of-national-film-registry/ar-AA1lsdtL

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The Family Plan (2023 AppleTV Movie)- Average family guy has a past that catches up with him and his family. Comedy! Entertaining! Some level of suspension of disbelief is required, but who cares? :D

This is on the agenda for while the offspring is home.

And the new Hunger Games is now on PPV so we will watch it too.

Top Bottom
1 2