What Movie Are You Watching?

The Other Guys (2010)- A cop buddies film that proves a slug of major actors can’t save a ****** script trying really hard to be funny, but isn’t. 😳

2010 - The Year We Make Contact (1984)- This is an excellent sequel to 2001 A Space Odyssey. The caveat is that you are vested in the first movie. I’ll admit that when I first watched 2001 (1968) as a 15 year old, I was very disappointed , not expecting a cerebral space story. This is better in some ways because it avoids the psychedelic imagery of the original as an incredible journey takes place (in the original movie). The US/Russia tension during the Cold War adds much interest for anyone who lived through it.

View attachment 1356
IMG_3234.jpeg

National Treasure (2004)- Fun movie, intriguing story, great cast, one of Nicolas Cage’s best movies. Even though it’s all made up taking bits from history, it feels like it could be real. :D

IMG_3240.jpeg

The Other Guys (2010)- A cop buddies film that proves a slug of major actors can’t save a ****** script trying really hard to be funny, but isn’t. 😳
I’d disagree with this, I think it’s hilarious.
2010 - The Year We Make Contact (1984)- This is an excellent sequel to 2001 A Space Odyssey. The caveat is that you are vested in the first movie. I’ll admit that when I first watched 2001 (1968) as a 15 year old, I was very disappointed , not expecting a cerebral space story. This is better in some ways because it avoids the psychedelic imagery of the original as an incredible journey takes place (in the original movie). The US/Russia tension during the Cold War adds much interest for anyone who lived through it.

View attachment 1356
View attachment 29939
But fully agree here. 2010 is an under appreciated film, and I saw it in
the theater when I was a teenager before I ever watched 2001. At that age, 2001 was too advanced for me to appreciate anyway. 2010 is more straightforward and doesn‘t achieve the greatness of the first movie, but it’s well done. I wouldn’t want to be the guy making a sequel to a Kubrick film.

I watched Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F yesterday. If you were a fan of the series (the first was the best, IMO), I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's not a masterpiece, but it's worth a watch. In short, 40 years have gone by, and Axel is up to his old tricks again in L.A. Several characters from the original make an appearance, and Eddie Murphy does a good job reprising his role, albeit with a softer edge this time. The movie is streaming on Netflix.

I watched Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F yesterday. If you were a fan of the series (the first was the best, IMO), I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's not a masterpiece, but it's worth a watch. In short, 40 years have gone by, and Axel is up to his old tricks again in L.A. Several characters from the original make an appearance, and Eddie Murphy does a good job reprising his role, albeit with a softer edge this time. The movie is streaming on Netflix.
are you sure? because 90% of the time when they do this, i watch the thing and it actually ruins my childhood memories.

Not sure if it's been discussed but Hit Man on Netflix is excellent, 95% on RT and they nailed it IMO. In fact, I watched it a second time with my wife. Very entertaining, hilarious and engaging all the way through, have to hand it to Netflix on this one.

We just finished watching it tonight. It was a gas! The only thing missing was Axel’s obnoxious laugh. Otherwise a totally charming movie with a cast of thousands. Yes, Achwell! Serge was in it, too.

Alita Battle Angel (2019)- I love this film, it’s such a fine example of a solid story, stellar CGI blending with live action, where it’s easy to visually track the action. James Cameron is involved and as with Avatar, high standards in story telling. And although it’s reported to have a significant following, it performed mediocre at the box office. The question is, as an unfinished story, where is the sequel, can we ever expect to see it? Supposedly it’s in work.

IMG_3250.jpeg

are you sure? because 90% of the time when they do this, i watch the thing and it actually ruins my childhood memories.
You’re right, they usually do. That’s why I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe the bar was low because the first two BHC sequels were disappointing, but this was enjoyable. I wouldn’t have paid to see it in a theater, but the price on Netflix was perfect. :)

Alita Battle Angel (2019)- I love this film, it’s such a fine example of a solid story, stellar CGI blending with live action, where it’s easy to visually track the action. James Cameron is involved and as with Avatar, high standards in story telling. And although it’s reported to have a significant following, it performed mediocre at the box office. The question is, as an unfinished story, where is the sequel, can we ever expect to see it? Supposedly it’s in work.

View attachment 30278

I loved this movie too. Who’d have thought a CGI cyborg could come across as more human than many real people? From
what I’ve read, a sequel is likely to appear in 2026. James Cameron usually gets his way, and the others involved in front of and behind the camera are also keen.

For the uninitiated, Alita is about a dystopian future in Iron City, populated by cyborgs and humans. Dr. Ido, played by Chrisoph Waltz, discovers a cyborg’s remains in a scrap heap and revives her. The action is violent and bloody, but with a love story at its heart.

We just finished watching it tonight. It was a gas! The only thing missing was Axel’s obnoxious laugh. Otherwise a totally charming movie with a cast of thousands. Yes, Achwell! Serge was in it, too.
I was expecting it too, but losing it was probably intentional to soften the character. Still, it would have been cool had one of the other people who knew Axel commented on the change.

For Axel F, I wish Serge had been better used. I’m guessing they cut a lot of stuff that didn’t work with him. Calling Axel Achwell just makes me laugh somehow, I could’ve done 20 minutes of that. Otherwise, we enjoyed it, and my wife was never a fan of the series, despite being Gen X.

I loved this movie too. Who’d have thought a CGI cyborg could come across as more human than many real people? From
what I’ve read, a sequel is likely to appear in 2026. James Cameron usually gets his way, and the others involved in front of and behind the camera are also keen.

For the uninitiated, Alita is about a dystopian future in Iron City, populated by cyborgs and humans. Dr. Ido, played by Chrisoph Waltz, discovers a cyborg’s remains in a scrap heap and revives her. The action is violent and bloody, but with a love story at its heart.
For those who have not seen it, it’s PG-13 violence…funny how the codes for violence have morphed over the years. When a cute little dog is a skewered, the audience does not see it, Yet a human is run though, and another reduced to body parts that appear to still be alive, and for cyborgs, decapitated, ground up, sliced in half, oh wait, that includes a human too, anyway all bets are off. :D

Next up on the viewing agenda was The Bee Keeper, a typical Jason Statham movie, with the plot obvious in the first five minutes. Fun film though, especially if you like Statham. Yesterday, we watched a Japanese film dubbed into English called The Golden Kamuy. Unique plotline, and the voiceovers were great. Looking forward to the sequel.

Wonder if I can drag the wife to Deadpool & Wolverine....

Tickets at the VIP cinema (so you have the wide comfy leather seats and very few, if any, children) are $26.75 (CDN)

You can also get beer, hot food, etc at the VIP cinema's...I'll opt for beer, but no, I don't want messy wings while watching a movie :D

This is getting some good reviews. I was super annoyed at the first rewiew I watched because it almost instantly gave away what sounds like would be an interesting plot and twist but then I found out so does the trailer. WTF kind of marketing is that? It's like if the trailer for Sixth Sense had a VoiceOver repeating "He's dead the entire time."

Back