Your garden critters

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have about 3 or 4 of these little guys in the backyard, almost always at least one of them in sight every time I go back there. Sometimes they're even chasing each other.

IMG_5798.jpeg

IMG_5744.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lol, my wife’s plant marking system, little green and yellow plastic tabs stuck in the ground has been sabotaged by… the squirrels or some other critter that has run off with seemingly all of them! I imagine some nicely decorated squirrel nests. ;)

View attachment 13098

Greeted me when I got home from work today.

Skinks? We have those. :)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
What model is your iPhone? Your closeup shots are always stellar and I'm thinking of upgrading my 11 to the 13 (pro max) for the updated camera.

I'm actually on an 11 pro. I get a lot more dud closeups than keepers, especially with insects that it can't quite figure out what to focus on or tapping the screen for the focus point knocks it out of wack due to that tapping movement. I plan to hold out until at least the next iPhone.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the last week I’ve found 2 skinks, in the house, 5 Lined I think or maybe a Brown Skink which looks very similar. I need to adjust the threshold of the front door. One was hanging out in our shady front porch Yesterday, then this morning I almost stepped on one sprawled out in the middle of our family room. The dark red wood grain of the floor kind of camouflaged it. Normally they skedaddle, but this one just laid there, spread eagle when I nudged it, so I thought it was dead, until I went to pick it up. Then it tried to wiggle away.

Easily captured, I initiated Rescue Protocol. Btw, I captured the previous skink that was in our master bath. Anyway, usually they die of dehydration in the house, at least that is my impression. I held it in my hand so it’s head stuck out, I fetched a cotton swab, dipped it in water, and deposited a drop on the side of its mouth. It swallowed! Then when I put the wet swab next to it’s mouth, it tongue came out and started lapping up the water. It was so cute! :D It was probably the warmth of my hand, but it seemed to be quite content being cradled.

F77F5359-C8EF-4EEF-8E31-FBB1221C4826.jpeg
Anyway I briefly thought about keeping it as a pet, but decided I did not want to worry about feeding it especially when we leave on trips. Although likely a shorter life in the backyard wilds, it would have a free, more intriguing life outside. And one day I’m waiting for a lizard to approach me and expect a hug… ;)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Here's a few.

Attachments

• Garden wasp.jpg
    Garden wasp.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Garden sheep.jpg
    Garden sheep.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Garden frog.jpg
    Garden frog.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Garden donkey.jpg
    Garden donkey.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Garden critters.jpg
    Garden critters.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Old sheep garden.jpg
    Old sheep garden.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Rossters and ladybug.jpg
    Rossters and ladybug.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 27

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the last week I’ve found 2 skinks, in the house, 5 Lined I think or maybe a Brown Skink which looks very similar. I need to adjust the threshold of the front door. One was hanging out in our shady front porch Yesterday, then this morning I almost stepped on one sprawled out in the middle of our family room. The dark red wood grain of the floor kind of camouflaged it. Normally they skedaddle, but this one just laid there, spread eagle when I nudged it, so I thought it was dead, until I went to pick it up. Then it tried to wiggle away.

Easily captured, I initiated Rescue Protocol. Btw, I captured the previous skink that was in our master bath. Anyway, usually they die of dehydration in the house, at least that is my impression. I held it in my hand so it’s head stuck out, I fetched a cotton swab, dipped it in water, and deposited a drop on the side of its mouth. It swallowed! Then when I put the wet swab next to it’s mouth, it tongue came out and started lapping up the water. It was so cute! :D It was probably the warmth of my hand, but it seemed to be quite content being cradled.

Anyway I briefly thought about keeping it as a pet, but decided I did not want to worry about feeding it especially when we leave on trips. Although likely a shorter life in the backyard wilds, it would have a free, more intriguing life outside. And one day I’m waiting for a lizard to approach me and expect a hug… ;)

I love skinks! That sure is a beauty. We have a native specifies in CA but I've rarely seen them. Most common is blue blue belly lizard and then alligator lizard. I've seen some whip tails but it's been a while.

This is an alligator I caught at work.

IMG_1458.jpeg

IMG_1449.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
How big is the second one? It looks substantial. :)

Same lizard in both pics. I estimate they were about 1 ft. In the second pic I temporarily put them in a small terrarium I have on my desk so I could snap some pics that don't feature my hand. Then I released them back into the wild.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Finally the NYT prints something not about midterm elections... to keep subscribers like me on board after we max out on polls and ads.

They May Have Love on Their Lizard Brains (paywall removed)

Ned and Sunny stretch out together on the warm sand. He rests his head on her back, and every so often he might give her an affectionate nudge with his nose. The pair is quiet and, like many long-term couples, they seem perfectly content just to be in each other’s presence.

The couple are monogamous, which is quite rare in the animal kingdom. But Sunny and Ned are a bit scalier than your typical lifelong mates — they are shingleback lizards that live at Melbourne Museum in Australia.

In the wild, shinglebacks regularly form long-term bonds, returning to the same partner during mating season year after year. One lizard couple in a long-term study had been pairing up for 27 years and were still going strong when the study ended. In this way, the reptiles are more like some of the animal kingdom’s most famous long-term couplers, such as albatrosses, prairie voles and owl monkeys, and they confound expectations many people have about the personalities of lizards.

“There’s more socially going on with reptiles than we give them credit for,” said Sean Doody, a conservation biologist at the University of South Florida.

Humans have a long history of animosity toward reptiles, and influential twentieth century scientists added to the idea of reptiles as cold, unintelligent beasts. In the mid-1900s, Paul MacLean, a neuroscientist at Yale and then the National Institute of Mental Health, began developing the triune brain hypothesis. He theorized that the human brain contained three parts: the reptilian R-complex, which governed survival and basic instinctual behaviors; the paleomammalian complex, which controlled emotional behavior; and the neomammalian cortex, which was responsible for higher functions like problem-solving and language.

Dr. MacLean’s ideas were popularized in Carl Sagan’s “The Dragons of Eden in 1977, and they are deeply rooted — the idea of the “lizard brain” as a center for basic survival instincts is still widely believed, even though it is not based on actual facts.

“It’s pretty much totally bogus,” said Stephanie Campos, a neuroethologist at Villanova University.

Top Bottom
1 2