2021 NFL Season

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
32 teams, only 1 black coach. 58% of the players are black. This is not just one franchise with a problem.

We know 32 teams refused to hire a QB who took his team to the Super Bowl because he took a knee to protest racism... and yet hired Blake Bortles. It is as plain as the nose on one's face.

Do you think Kap would have accepted the deal Bortles took? I doubt it.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I saw an interview today that indicated the rule itself isn’t the issue, but how it’s being used is.

The NFL, with all their “black national anthem” before the games, the “end racism” slogans on the field and on the helmets… is engaged in racist hiring practices behind the scenes.

They didn’t pay the price for blacklisting Kaepernick though, so they will probably coast through this episode unscathed too.
Actually the problem with the Rooney rule, is that it even has to exists. Why do they need the rule in the first place? Because they don't hire based on credentials, and it would be far worse.

I attended a talk with Bill McDermott (Current CEO of ServiceNow). He talked about how he implemented an AI program to parse out the first round of candidates for an executive job. That way the inherent biases that we all have, couldn't be in play and you had a better shot of a diverse set of managers and executives. Why not implement something like that in the NFL? Strip off the names and Teams of a resume, and pick you top five perspective coaches. I betcha the results would be interesting.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Actually the problem with the Rooney rule, is that it even has to exists. Why do they need the rule in the first place? Because they don't hire based on credentials, and it would be far worse.

I attended a talk with Bill McDermott (Current CEO of ServiceNow). He talked about how he implemented an AI program to parse out the first round of candidates for an executive job. That way the inherent biases that we all have, couldn't be in play and you had a better shot of a diverse set of managers and executives. Why not implement something like that in the NFL? Strip off the names and Teams of a resume, and pick you top five perspective coaches. I betcha the results would be interesting.
I imagine that sounds like a wonderful idea for jobs that can involve a hundred or more candidates from across the globe anonymously.

Problem is, the NFL is first & foremost an "old boys network", that picks from a pool of candidates that are often familiar to all involved.

Hell, people often NOT involved often know more than those being interviewed. If your pool is primarily based on those who put time in programs where recommendations come from, such an idea can't work.

The whole Bill Belichick / Brian Flores call demonstrated that.

You can't really have a hiring program as you suggest, if the job decision is made BEFORE the interviews. Thus the interviews are actually just to satisfy a rule that teams find inconvenient to their practices.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Do you think Kap would have accepted the deal Bortles took? I doubt it.
Why would he?

You would like to think as a talent, an offer is made to you based on YOU.

Deals are rarely if ever interchangeable with talent.

Besides the actual question is moot, since the actual issue is that NO deal was ever going to be offered to Kaep.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The Washington Post interviewed former Washington assistant coach Ray Horton about his past experience as a black man interviewing for a head coaching job in the NFL.

When Horton interviewed with the team, which he wouldn’t identify, in 2013, the franchise’s majority owner didn’t attend, he says. But someone asked a question on the owner’s behalf: Why did Horton, with his passionate sideline demeanor and cornrows, seem “really aggressive” during games?
“Well, how do you want your team to play?” Horton says he replied. Team representatives in the room agreed his answer and overall performance had been pitch-perfect, and Horton recalls one executive saying he hadn’t hit a home run. He had hit a grand slam, and his fire and communication skills were precisely what the team needed.
So imagine Horton’s surprise when, later that day, a friend with the team called Horton to say that a replacement coach, a White man, had been selected. Indeed the general manager later called to inform Horton that the team owner felt more comfortable with the other candidate.“Now, what does ‘felt more comfortable’ mean?” Horton says. “I know what it meant to me.”

(paywall removed)

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I'm here for these two. It's tradition.

274011996_10221328176821559_7411683321812800371_n.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Disappointed that the Bengals couldn’t hold off the Rams at the end, but what a great game!

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Can someone please explain why Higgins face mask grab of Ramsey was allowed and not penalized?
Every TD is reviewed by the replay dude. The problem is two-fold: if a guy on the field fails to throw a flag, there is no call to review: no one on the field saw it, and you cannot really make a call after the fact.

The other thing, when I look at the slo-mo, is that it does not really look like a face mask. It looks like incidental contact, and Higgins never really had a hold on the mask. His hand touched the mask for a brief fraction of a second, but the most telling thing is that his fingers never crossed into the bars. The grip surface of Higgins' glove may have put some drag on it, but it looked entirely unintentional.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Heh. Let’s just say that halftime show was not aimed at my generation. I’ve never been into rap and hip-hop.

Although I do have to say two positive things about it. One, I liked the stagecraft. It broke away from the recent Super Bowl pattern of pyrotechnics and light show oneupmanship. And two, the choreography in the Lamar performance was incredible. Never seen moves like that before.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Can someone please explain why Higgins face mask grab of Ramsey was allowed and not penalized?

Karma. The Ram's SB LIII appearance never should have happened. A missed DPI call kept the Saints from winning the game and going to the SB. This was that coming back around. :)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Every TD is reviewed by the replay dude.

The problem I have with that system is only actual TD's are reviewed. Not plays that could have been TD's. They need to fix that.

I do agree that after watching multiple replays is does seen incidental.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Every TD is reviewed by the replay dude. The problem is two-fold: if a guy on the field fails to throw a flag, there is no call to review: no one on the field saw it, and you cannot really make a call after the fact.

The other thing, when I look at the slo-mo, is that it does not really look like a face mask. It looks like incidental contact, and Higgins never really had a hold on the mask. His hand touched the mask for a brief fraction of a second, but the most telling thing is that his fingers never crossed into the bars. The grip surface of Higgins' glove may have put some drag on it, but it looked entirely unintentional.
That's one hell of an excuse lol. Anyone watching that play objectively clearly saw a face mask violation that was missed, he grabbed it and pulled his head around and they would've called it had they seen it.

819628_640x360_large_20220214125632.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2