2022 MLB playoffs

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
My understanding is that a losing team is more profitable than a winning team. For the owners, at least. I think it has something to do with player salaries.

They end up doing stuff like trading away a good older player for a decent price in hopes of covering the contract of a newbie they paid too much for "because that's the market." They hope to include in the deal receiving a few promising guys from the minors. Sometimes it works out on the balance sheet. For the players, it can be jolting to have a real team-building guy subtracted from their usual mix all of a sudden. For the fans, who knows.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
But back to the current playoffs. I loathe how the wild cards work now, and not least the 2-of-3 scenarios.

Not a huge fan of the 2/3, but it sure is better than the 1 game gimmick they had before.

Make it 3/5 and take the DS to 4/7 like it used to be. And stop spacing the games out. It is baseball, they are used to playing every day. Give them a day off for travel, otherwise play every day.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Home teams continue to struggle. So far, they're 3-7 with another down late in their contest. Hope the Yanks take advantage of their home crowd. Fingers definitely crossed with Cole on the mound to start things off.

lizkat

Reaction score
Home teams continue to struggle. So far, they're 3-7 with another down late in their contest. Hope the Yanks take advantage of their home crowd. Fingers definitely crossed with Cole on the mound to start things off.
Well your Yanks just left three of my Guardians stranded on base in top of the 3rd, so that 1-0 Cleveland score at the moment could have been far worse by now.

EDIT: ok so it's tied up already...

EDIT: of course I have to go and make myself crazy hunting down fascinating information during commercials. For example, from some piece at Cleveland dot Com:

"Overall, FiveThirtyEight gives the Guardians a 13% chance of making the World Series and a 4% chance of winning the fall classic for the first time since 1948. So, they’re saying there’s a chance."​
Right. A snowball's chance. But hey. Not over yet!

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Well your Yanks just left three of my Guardians stranded on base in top of the 3rd, so that 1-0 Cleveland score at the moment could have been far worse by now.

You live in NY. Just curious as to why you are a Cleveland fan? Does it also extend to the Browns and Cavs?

lizkat

Reaction score
You live in NY. Just curious as to why you are a Cleveland fan? Does it also extend to the Browns and Cavs?

Nope. Just been a fan of the Guardians --formerly Indians-- since I was a kid. Think it was all because some guy from the Rochester Red Wings (then a Cardinals farm team) went up to the show and then landed in Cleveland. I think I was like ten or eleven years old when I found out St. Louis had traded him away, and I was about following him at that point, not a team that was far away anyhow. Later on I realized it was advantageous to follow a team where the blackout rules hardly ever got in my way...

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
OT, I learned that the Big Unit (who did make the playoffs a few times) has taken up photography and graphic arts stuff. His business logo is

link

I don't know which "Like" emoji to use: :oops: or :ROFLMAO:.

Some people won't get it. ;)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It's bad luck to watch them live. Bad luck for my cardiovascular system. They have a bad habit of loading the bases and stranding them, watching the next batters strike out or hit into double plays.
EDIT: However, the MLB app informs me Cleveland took it 4-2. Yay! Even up, a game apiece...

Pulled your post from another thread so as to not side-track it.

I did just read the "midges" may be back in Cleveland when the Yankees visit. Will probably never forget Joba covered in those things.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Looks like the Yankees are dropping Judge to 2 in the lineup because he is struggling. I think he can change a game in 1 swing no matter where he bats.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Muh Guardians figured out how not to strand the baserunners tonight. Yee haa!
Told my husband that the Yanks were about to lose heading into the bottom of the 9th. Just had a feeling. And not feeling good about tomorrow. :(

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Geez, I joked about a Yankees/Guardians double-header, but the Astros/Mariners game is already about at the end of a second game, tied yet at no score. Surely this is not a playoff record, but it must be getting close.

Not sure if it is a record, but an interesting stat: There have been 4 MLB postseason games go into 18 innings. All 4 had a HR hit in the 18th.

Muh Guardians figured out how not to strand the baserunners tonight. Yee haa!

That was a great inning of baseball.

lizkat

Reaction score
Told my husband that the Yanks were about to lose heading into the bottom of the 9th. Just had a feeling. And not feeling good about tomorrow. :(

Take heart, it's never over 'til over.

Couldn't resist tuning in to the game last night, but almost didn't watch the last of it... the Guardians have left 3 on base too many times to remember, and I was seriously afraid I'd put my laptop through the window...

Top Bottom
1 2