2022 MLB playoffs

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
Even if the Yankees get by Cleveland they haven't much chance against Houston. The pattern in recent years is that they do well in the regular season and then flop in the postseason. I guess striking out a lot, relying on home runs and batting around .220 is not a good strategy. As the song says: "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio?"

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
In the wings, the Fat Lady awaits.

Hah, yeah. The Fat Lady was definitely running scales the other night, even if it did take the Astros 18 innings for her to remember how that part of the song goes.

The Yankees in their current state may not be able to take the Series if they can even hang on for the AL championship, but the chances of the Guardians taking the Astros in the Series are way lower. I hasten to add "...this time around" because the Guardians do have a lot of promise.

But for this year and being rookie-heavy in a Series, the Guardians' way of playing good small ball would be tough for a win because the Astros have such great fielding.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
@ronntaylor yer Yanks up 3-0, only the 2nd inning... see I should not be watching this game o_O
I was afraid that Cole would give up a big HR middle of the game. Our bullpen came in strong (imagine if Aaron Boone had made the same pitching change 24 hours earlier!).

Still worried as playing four days in a row, and on top of that, flying in late from Cleveland. Anything is possible in game #5. Will be interesting how Boone deals with the pitching. Especially late in a close game.

My hope is that the Yanks get their bats active early and often to have any chance.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
In the AL, both teams that will play in the ALCS won their division (Houston vs NYY/CLE), but in the NL, the two teams playing in the NLCS are Wild Cards.

The two NL teams left won 87 & 89 games and eliminated teams that won 101, 101 & 111.

lizkat

Reaction score
In the AL, both teams that will play in the ALCS won their division (Houston vs NYY/CLE), but in the NL, the two teams playing in the NLCS are Wild Cards.

The two NL teams left won 87 & 89 games and eliminated teams that won 101, 101 & 111.

October can be brutal. The wild card thing, I dunno. It's antithetical really to the idea of playing off until "best team" wins. It says to the top performing teams of regular season that oin the postseason there can be no such thing as having a bad day because if you do then someone up from the sandlots can displace you.

Yet their own top ranking of performances in season may well have depended on their opposition --during any given stretch-- having had a bunch of bad days.

It's not all skill either, we know that. Bad calls, weirdly anomalous results of bat contacting ball... or the angle of the sun and a ball hit high and three guys afraid to collide in the outfield despite having practiced calling each other off...

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
October can be brutal. The wild card thing, I dunno. It's antithetical really to the idea of playing off until "best team" wins.

I think if you are going to do the Wildcard, then it's one. The three division winners and the top non-division winner. Seed them and be on your way with best of sevens.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I dunno. It's antithetical really to the idea of playing off until "best team" wins.

Those hundred regular season wins that the Dodgers and the Braves and the Mets racked up were against many sub-par teams. They still have to prove themselves against the very best in the League, and be on top of their game when all is on the line. Fail to do that and they embarrass the faithful.

In the end, the highest-ranked teams proved conclusively that they were not the best.

My guys tied the MLB record for regular season wins one year but crapped out in 5 in the ALCS. They simply showed that they were really good but not good enough for the pageant.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
I admit to being surprised that the Dodgers fell apart this year. The Braves maybe not so much. I wonder if leading a division in regular season makes a team a little complacent about a wild card trying to cut in.

All the wild card stuff was weird this year, being down quite a few games and then walloping teams with way more regular season wins in the playoffs.

That speaks to what you said though. Can't let up in postseason and those other guys are sometimes pretty hungry. Seattle, wow. And the Phillies.

Meanwhile tonight's game is still in delay before even starting. Weather...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1582134398148694017/

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Those hundred regular season wins that the Dodgers and the Braves and the Mets racked up were against many sub-par teams.

And the regular season is so different from the playoffs. In the playoffs, 2 dominant pitchers can carry you through a series, even a best of 7. But in the regular season, 2 dominant pitchers will get 60 wins and you hope the other 3 starters can get you enough to make the playoffs.

lizkat

Reaction score
EDIT at 936pm: two minutes ago a NY Post reporter says rain coming down steadily now. He's who said there was hope for a 9:30 first pitch time. Now says he's getting out of meterology biz.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1582182684100816896/

EDIT: they WERE saying first pitch at 930pm

=======

Rain rain rain in NY ever since 730pm with a delayed start over weather initially called at 6:20...

How ugly is it going to be if the game tonight is pushed to tomorrow and then the winner has to fly immediately to Houston for game one of the ALCS on Wednesday.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
And the regular season is so different from the playoffs. In the playoffs, 2 dominant pitchers can carry you through a series, even a best of 7. But in the regular season, 2 dominant pitchers will get 60 wins and you hope the other 3 starters can get you enough to make the playoffs.

Here's a free link to a WSJ column suggesting hey we should all get over it. Fun read anyway.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't worry about the Wild Card teams beating teams with superior records anymore. It's happened so often in the past when the best teams don't always prevail. My Yanks had a super hot start, then a massive drop around the all-star break that lasted 5/6 weeks. And then injuries have plagued them the last third of the season. The goal of adding more and more wild card teams was to increase interest in the post-season with more teams being rooted on by their fans. And of course, increased revenue with six teams in each league for the post season. That's why I'm surprised that MLB limits the first round to just best 3-of-5. I would make all series best 4-of-7, even if it requires less games per season. I've long advocated for a start in mid-April and concluding mid-to-late October (down to 150 or 154 games per season) to get in more post-season games. Hell, I'd even go to best 5-of-9 for the World Series as has happened in the distant past.

At one point I suggested going the Super Bowl route: World Series in designated parks to lessen the chance of rain outs. We have so many parks in sunny climes and domed stadia all over the place. But that would probably be too much since it isn't a single game like the Super Bowl.

Whoever wins tomorrow (and I'm really rooting for my Yanks to be the winners) will have an even more difficult task of defeating The Asterisks with less rest since they'll be playing after flying out of New York probably less than 24 hours between Game 5 finishing and Game 1 starting.

Top Bottom
1 2