Apple’s Sept. 7 Event

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone having better performance on 5G with the 14? I didn't have any issue with 5G with my 12 Pro Max. By the time the 13 came out 5G was pretty much everywhere in my area. Then when I upgraded to the 13 I noticed it was constantly dropping to LTE in areas I previously had 5G and sometimes it was painfully slow, almost unusable. With the 14 so far it seems to be back to how it was with the 12. I haven't seen it drop to LTE like it was with the 13.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
When you swipe hard, the bouncing island actually can knock the clock out of place, and then it snaps back. The physics is all very nicely done.

Yeah, I love the little nuance that Apple puts into UI design.

OK, now I want one ... let's see, trade value on a mint 13 Pro Max ...

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Been a long time since I’ve run Neko on the Solaris workstations in the tiny research computer closet they shoved my graduate research team into. Definitely time to bring him back.

Y'all just re-triggered my love for Maneki-Neko kitties...

SleepingManekiNekoKitty.jpgBrownCalicoManekiNekoKitty.jpg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
More thoughts on my iPhone 14 PM after having it for a couple of days...

Coming from an 12 Pro I do notice the extra weight and size (roughly a 1/2" taller and a 1/4" wider). Something I feel every time I pick it up, but expect I'll get used to it. Yesterday I bought a silicon case to provide more grip when the phone's in my shirt pocket - don't want it sliding out when I pick stuff up or tie my shoes.

I've further decluttered my lock screen to just time (in a better font - wish there were more options, though) and date at the top. Wasn't feeling the value previously having extra stuff on the display. Tried AOD again...still like it better disabled.

Overall the phone feels zippier. :)

Haven't had a chance yet to go out for the purpose of making real photos - the better camera being the motivation to purchase the phone. But I did go out early this morning and took a neighborhood snap while it was still dark to see how it would work in low light - attached below.

Battery life seems to be decent. Over a 24 hour period of regular use from fully charged it's now at 75%. With my 12 Pro I would have had to recharge it yesterday evening.

Attachments

• Early morning pic.jpg
    Early morning pic.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 18

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What does everyone do for purchasing? Apple direct?

Do you get the carrier "specific" through Apple, or the "Connect to any carrier later" option?

Here's what I'm looking to do:

Phone 1
Paid off 11 Pro in mint condition, 64GB, silver to be swapped for a 14 Pro Max (128GB / purple). Apple trade of $300, $799 difference for the replacement device.

Phone 2
Paid off 11, decent condition though one visible scratch on the display, swapping for a 14 (also purple ..), trade is low, condition is questionable, will likely not even trade

Verizon appears to have a killer trade option, $700 (for the 11 Pro), but that's only for a 36 month/0% contract, a CS rep (and what I'm reading) seem to indicate you can pay off the device anytime, like the first month, but it's at retail, i.e., your trade becomes nothing[?]

We been informed it's a good time to have some business expenses, so looking to pay outright.

Oh wanted to add:

I've always when buying from Apple used their payment options and chose my carrier, I've addressed the payment consideration above, but for the carrier, it's my understanding that simply pre-registers the device, and that there's no actual difference in the device (i.e., it's not "locked" to a carrier or anything).

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

That's what I did. And picked up at a nearby Apple store. My iPhone 12 Pro trade was valued at $430. A box from Apple will be coming today for mailing it back.

When ordering I chose "Connect to any carrier later," though I have AT&T. When it came to setting the phone up I had no issue specifying AT&T - that was smooth and fast - it just worked.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Do you get the carrier "specific" through Apple, or the "Connect to any carrier later" option?

I never trade in, always pay up front and go Apple direct carrier specific, usually also as an Apple refurb deal.

Once I did order new direct from AT&T when switching from Verizon. Never had a problem with any iPhone transaction except with a 4S i got direct from Apple that had a defective but not DOA radio...

Apple was great on shipping a replacement instantly, I mean the very moment we concluded tests from a parking lot in town where I had to drive to get a signal to work on the problem with the Apple engineer. They said yeah don't worry we'll ship a box for return of the bad one later. New one was on my porch next afternoon! In the boondocks!​

Now w/ T-mobile, keeping an eye on their deals which may not apply, since I like my basic $45 plan for seniors and their deals would involve a plan upgrade. I'm not actively looking to upgrade right now but my XR is not 5G capable, so it's officially a little long in the tooth. Anyway in this terrain any phone is WiFi calling only...

I almost went for a new 13 and may opt for that direct when they turn up in Apple refurb shelves.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's funny, I've done this for over a decade, I just haven't recently taken a moment, and reconsidered how I buy phones, and this year is a little different wanting to burn some business bucks.

Top Bottom
1 2