Apple’s Sept. 7 Event

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It's funny, I've done this for over a decade, I just haven't recently taken a moment, and reconsidered how I buy phones, and this year is a little different wanting to burn some business bucks.

Stick with what has worked for you in the past with phones and just go buy the biz a nice desktop and a couple of monitors. That should raise the heat some, ya think? (or ya don't want to give up fancy coffee?)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, went direct Apple, no carrier, paid up front :) I'll determine whether I want to deal with the trade or not when the time comes.

1663621763834.png

Daughter gets an upgrade from an 11, arrives tomorrow (she'll be excited), kind of staying with the same form factor, 6.1, all the new 14 goodies of course. Wife is going Pro to Pro Max, decided she'd dig on a larger phone, originally went smaller, but with her new Watch being cellular, she won't even carry it as much for things like running. She reads a ton at night too, 99% on her phone, so the larger size will be super nice for that. They're both also getting a storage update, since the base on both was 64GB, and it's now 128GB.

Interesting the differences in the two purple colors.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
I've always just bought it outright. The carriers here in Canada pushed back on Apple, so we never got the iPhone upgrade program up here.
I understand Apple's now contracted a company called PayBright to offer 0% financing deals on iPhones, Macs and iPads...so may look into that whenever I'm tempted to upgrade.
Hopefully there's a nice M2 Mac Mini (in BLACK dammit!) in October. One that supports HDMI 2.1 so it's HTPC worthy. :D

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm keeping my 13 Pro Max. It is perfectly fine for my needs. I'm not gonna pay for a smaller notch or Always On Display.

Ya know, i was just reading some other thread (about that Fast Company hack) and the link to the Engadget piece about it was atop an earlier piece about the iPhone 14, with some photos and a capricious title that caught my eye:

The iPhone 14 Pro ditches the notch for a giant hole in the screen.

Hah! Not thinking to upgrade this year so hadn't really looked the 14 over. I stared at those photos for a minute and then picked up my XR for a look and honestly that "dynamic island" is a whole lot more noticeable to me than the notch. I don't really care what various apps might stick in that space, it's just way more noticeable as a diminution of screen space because of the tiny bit of real estate that is left above the new island. Makes me laugh to remember all the hyped whines about the notch.

It wouldn't keep me from getting a phone with the island later on, but it is funny how the notch has become invisible to me now after a few years with the XR.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The wife's iPhone 14 Pro Max arrived yesterday :)

As always, the setup was so simple, bring the devices together, confirm a few things, new eSim setup ("Use this number?" Yes ... 5 minutes later, existing phone sim offline, new phone running with existing number), accounts/apps/data all transferred, setup Face ID, Apple Pay. Done in about 20-25 minutes.

Pretty stunning in the new purple color (especially the tinted SS bands). Got her a thin Spigen case (that nicely shows off the colors) and some FM screen protectors (been using these for years, terrific products). Holy smokes, quick word about the latter: they've got a new installation system/alignment frame, that transfers the protector in one process. It was so clear and bubble free I didn't even think it worked. And with the 14 Pro, it covers the entire front, i.e., no cutout for the notch.

The phone is fast, the display is amazing, the new Dynamic Island is just stellar execution, between the surrounding display being "live" and usable and the 14 Pro pushing the display area towards the edges a little more, it makes my 13 Pro Max seem noticeably smaller.

Haven't experimented with the camera too much, just some photos sitting in the bedroom last night, wow, the physical camera/lens components are clearly larger. We're excited to try to bike and/or running video with the new stabilization system. :)

Very cool, very nice update from an 11 Pro.

Top Bottom
1 2