Binge worthy TV

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I haven’t been to a haunted house or maze in ages. As much as I am a fan of horror, I’m not a fan of people jumping out to scare you or the feeling that it could happen any second. For me it takes away the enjoyment of the setting and atmosphere.

I guess it may be a byproduct of Covid but this years' HHN, as there were definitely houses that were atmospheric (I mean, some jump scares, but not right up in your face). And the zones were super fun, and of course the shows are "read only" :D

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Speaking of Mike Flanagan….

He’s doing two projects:

- The fall of house Usher (miniseries)
- Midnight Club (movie)

At this point, I give him the greatest compliment of them all, the compliment I reserve only to David Lynch - which for those who know me from MR might come as a shock considering how obsessed I am by Lynch: no matter what Flanagan does, I’ll watch it, even if it’s 10 hours of a black screen.

JohnR

Tesla & Steeler fan
Reaction score
Dope Sick is very good, and just astoundingly crazy how that industry did what they did.

Kaitlyn Dever is excellent, I'd highly recommend the movie Booksmart.

What's crazy is that perdue pharmaceuticals was the one who started the whole pain level as the 5th vital sign and the face scale to tell you what pain you were in....crazy!
And they talked about breakthrough pain....and I heard on the news they talked about covid having breakthrough...I was like..no way.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sigh, I’m not proud but have been binging Yellowstone on Peacock. I’m on season 2. It’s soapy, mildly addictive, real white people shit. Folks around me either watch it or plan to. It’s not great, like way below HBO standards.

I’m actually interested in Montana as a ski destination because I’ve hit most of the easy access ones in North America. Much of the show’s premise involves very few people owning massive swaths of real estate and wanting to keep it. It’s kinda fucked up.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I think it takes a truly creative mind to adapt Poe to film.

Ordinarily we complain when a movie version takes liberties with the written word, but with Poe you just about have to. Poe's stories--the ones I remember reading--were full of grandiloquent descriptions of the surroundings and elaborate (and frequently depressing) ruminations of the characters. But in more than a few stories, not that much actually happens...at least, not enough to fill an hour-long TV episode, much less a movie or miniseries. "The Tell-Tale Heart" probably takes place in ten minutes of actual, real time..."The Raven" even less. You're talking a Night Gallery segment there, not a full movie.

And so in some cases it becomes necessary to elaborate, provide more set-up, etc. Certainly this is what the Roger Corman movies did. For our day and age, it'll take a writer/director talented enough to get truly into the mind of Poe--admittedly a dark and dangerous place--and extrapolate a full story.

Flanagan, I think, is up to the task.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We have almost finished season 11 of Midsomer Murders. Not great, but comfortable. The regulars are all likable, and the guests on each episode are truly despicable. They recycle actors like they’re keeping all Britain’s actors employed, but the acting is great.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think it takes a truly creative mind to adapt Poe to film.

Ordinarily we complain when a movie version takes liberties with the written word, but with Poe you just about have to. Poe's stories--the ones I remember reading--were full of grandiloquent descriptions of the surroundings and elaborate (and frequently depressing) ruminations of the characters. But in more than a few stories, not that much actually happens...at least, not enough to fill an hour-long TV episode, much less a movie or miniseries. "The Tell-Tale Heart" probably takes place in ten minutes of actual, real time..."The Raven" even less. You're talking a Night Gallery segment there, not a full movie.

And so in some cases it becomes necessary to elaborate, provide more set-up, etc. Certainly this is what the Roger Corman movies did. For our day and age, it'll take a writer/director talented enough to get truly into the mind of Poe--admittedly a dark and dangerous place--and extrapolate a full story.

Flanagan, I think, is up to the task.
Nah... not that creative. Heck even I could come up with an outline of the Tell-Tale Heart and The Raven that could be a feature length movie. I agree though to make it a good movie, you'd need an excellent screen writer and director to adapt the story to film.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We have almost finished season 11 of Midsomer Murders. Not great, but comfortable. The regulars are all likable, and the guests on each episode are truly despicable. They recycle actors like they’re keeping all Britain’s actors employed, but the acting is great.
What are you watching this on? I think my wife watches it on Acorn or Britbox.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What are you watching this on? I think my wife watches it on Acorn or Britbox.
I think that’s what we watch on since I go through the Prime app for it.

Anyone else watch the season finale of Hawkeye? Did it remind you of Die Hard?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Really enjoyed the second season of The Witcher, possibly even more than GoT, simpleton that I am. It's got a lot more magic and monsters, and you don't have to remember 50 different characters and their arcs.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that’s what we watch on since I go through the Prime app for it.

Anyone else watch the season finale of Hawkeye? Did it remind you of Die Hard?
I wasn't thinking Die Hard. It was really silly, I thought. And, they kind of wasted Kingpin as a character. Had its moments, though.

Top Bottom
1 2