Binge worthy TV

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm binge watching Season 1 of Euphoria again on HBOMax. Season 2 just came out and it's been like 2 years since season 1 and I forgot some stuff.

Season 1 is only 8 episodes so its not too bad.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I started watching the series Maid last night while wanting to stay up late enough to gauge where to set the thermostat for the steep overnight temperature drops we've had here lately.

It's compelling television, in modeling how eternally chaotic a background of domestic abuse can make one's life. Even the people who "know but don't know" an abused person may not be very aware of what is going on... sometimes until it's too late to help a victim summon enough self-esteem and will to explore ways of getting out, especially with a child or children in the picture. Worth the watch for sure.

U

User.45

Literally Binge-worthy is Anthony Bourdain's (RIP) Parts Unknown.
It's supposed to be a food show, but it's ethnography through food (and booze). He gets to tell a story about every country he visits without the western hubris or gastro-snobbism. He comes across as a guy who really understands the human essence*. He visited at least 4 cities I've lived in and many more I visited and I found each episode true to the local vibe and even if our impressions differ time to time, his truth about the places and people are always compatible with mine.

*generally incompatible with a long life

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just binged Station Eleven. It was nice to see post apocalyptic humanity portrayed as kind for a change.

I know several of you didn’t care for it, but I thought it was a brilliant character study, and I loved the ending.

U

User.45

I just binged Station Eleven. It was nice to see post apocalyptic humanity portrayed as kind for a change.

I know several of you didn’t care for it, but I thought it was a brilliant character study, and I loved the ending.
I have yet to watch the end but it was brilliant. It's a story where I can tel the writer is a woman because it builds up characters from a different angle, and we need more of this. he acting was very good too

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
We finished all released episodes of “The Witcher”, so we also watched “The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf”.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Ozark season 4 just came out, but I started watching The Journalist - a Japanese Netflix drama about government corruption. The first 2 episodes were quite good, so I will probably finish it before I get back into Ozark (which I loved the first 3 seasons of).

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
A couple more episodes of "Imposters" season 1, since I'm only up to episode 9 now.

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I'm slowly revisiting The Rockford Files (Tubi). This show is TV's version of comfort food: a mildly involving mystery, a few laughs, James Garner (whose whimsical style elevates anything he's in), and those phone messages ("Jim, it's Norma at the bank. It bounced. You want us to tear it up, send it back, or put it with the others?").

I do have one complaint: the first two hour-long episodes contained what looked suspiciously like a lot of filler. Lengthy recaps, flashbacks, tons of extended driving footage.... Upon doing my own investigation I found the pilot was originally 90 minutes long. So I can't help but believe they gave it the Universal Treatment.

What is that? It's the same thing they did to Night Gallery. They took that hour-long show and chopped it into half-hours for syndication. If one story ran 20 minutes, they added 10 min. of filler. If one story was 40 minutes long, they diced and sliced the hell out of it. The result was as putrid as it sounds. With Rockford, they turned the 90 minute pilot into two hour-long episodes, and yes, the result was bad. Subsequent regular episodes were much better.

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I started watching the series Maid last night while wanting to stay up late enough to gauge where to set the thermostat for the steep overnight temperature drops we've had here lately.

It's compelling television, in modeling how eternally chaotic a background of domestic abuse can make one's life. Even the people who "know but don't know" an abused person may not be very aware of what is going on... sometimes until it's too late to help a victim summon enough self-esteem and will to explore ways of getting out, especially with a child or children in the picture. Worth the watch for sure.

I thought Maid was outstanding. I especially liked Andie MacDowell as Alex's mother (as she is in real life, too). Superb story and acting all around.

Quote Reply

Top Bottom
1 2