COVID Stupid

Yoused

up
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I don’t think this would pass constitutional muster if it made it to the Supreme Court.
This supreme court, though, I would have my doubts. This boat is to be sent on a mission, which brass says is pretty important (which they admittedly probably say about all the jaunts), and delaying it until the ruling can be appealed might well negate the value of what is meant to be done.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Wow what a horrible paper this CDC one is. The tables are so bad, if I were a reviewer, I would tell the editor not to accept the paper without that shit being fixed. Neither Reuters nor @Herdfan should draw generalized conclusions about this paper. In fact the naturally vs artificially acquired immunity studies always have to be interpreted with a major caveat: you aren't comparing the same populations if you removed the 130,781 worst players from the naturally-acquired team. So in one group you have a bunch of people who would have died if weren't vaccinated and in the other you just excluded the people who died of their first infection.

The only fair conclusion I can make is that the Vaccines that were developed for the Wildtype virus have variable efficacy against the subsequent variants, but naturally-acquired immunity has the same issue.

THe 3 most striking things to me from the data are

1) Moderna coming up again and again as the best. Americans should be proud about this, this vaccine is the love-child of an NIH-Industry collaboration and as such, couldn't be more American (literally healthy national pride, folks?)
View attachment 11843

2) It would have taken 52,000,000 vaccinated people to achieve the the number of hospitalizations of the ~5M unvaccinated. Insane!!!

3) If I fix the supplementary figure, it actually shows lower risk in the vaccinated among those who got COVID in 2021
View attachment 11844
I've spoken to several fully-vaccinated people who had mildly-symptomatic COVID-19 and are happy because they feel better protected against re-infection and/or future variants. The same is true for as-yet-uninfected individuals who've abandoned all preventive measures because they're not concerned about, or even look forward to, mild COVID-19 for the same reason. Unfortunately, this ignores cardiovascular and other long-term risks that are increasingly coming to light. I'm very concerned that the healthcare system will be dealing with acute and chronic post-COVID conditions for decades. I also suspect that research will show many additional connections between viral illnesses and chronic disease.

U

User.45

I've spoken to several fully-vaccinated people who had mildly-symptomatic COVID-19 and are happy because they feel better protected against re-infection and/or future variants. The same is true for as-yet-uninfected individuals who've abandoned all preventive measures because they're not concerned about, or even look forward to, mild COVID-19 for the same reason. Unfortunately, this ignores cardiovascular and other long-term risks that are increasingly coming to light. I'm very concerned that the healthcare system will be dealing with acute and chronic post-COVID conditions for decades. I also suspect that research will show many additional connections between viral illnesses and chronic disease.
Agree. I'll be speculative here, but I think the virus' patterns are becoming predictable. We're probably going to be golden until June (the spring peak has been modulated by vaccination last year, and there's a slight delay this year with the waves). I'm quite certain, the new variant will come in June, hit Florida again by August, peak by October and die down by November. Whereas the rest of the nation will have this slowly emerging wave that will build up between Thxgiving and Xmas.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Why are these idiots driving in circles on the DC Beltway? To protest mask mandates, they say. But DC ended its mask mandate on March 1.

The mask mandates were about stopping the spread of a disease. Now that the infection rate is low and the vaccination rate is high, infectious disease experts are saying we can go without the masks for now. This is what it ALWAYS was about. If things change, we can always put the masks back on. It’s a small action that can save a lot of lives. And let’s get real, the folks driving in circles probably never followed mask mandates to begin with. So it didn’t even affect them.

So, drive your heavy-polluting trucks in circles for no reason, idiots. Thanks for snarling traffic and destroying the environment to protest something that is no longer happening. 🤦‍♂️

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
🤦‍♀️
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1500808905689030658/

We started this stupidity LARPing as faux military, and now they've moved to being crusaders.

Are we forgetting what crusaders are also infamous for?

But hey, you want to cruise around in your costume while gas rises to $5 a gallon, over mask mandates that are being dropped across the country... 🤷‍♀️

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Went into a fast food joint to pick up my online order. They closed off the seating area during the Pandemic but first day without mask mandates for restaurants and the place was jam packed. *sigh* Hoping against reality that this change wasn't premature.

Still wearing masks wherever there are crowds (and hand sanitizer, and keeping my distance). I don't trust people to follow simple precautions. Many could not do the bare minimum at the height of the Pandemic. I have no confidence with too many of my fellow citizens.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, the wife and I are kind of in "mask as needed" mode, if we go inside somewhere and people are pretty spaced out, sure, but we have them on deck. Like the other day we both hit the grocery, it was pretty quiet, had mask in the ready position (strapped to wrist), things got a little crowded in the produce, said she masked up, got her stuff came over to where I was, took it off.

Still moving away from people, yeah, lots of hand washing/sanitizer, we hit up one of our favorite joints the other day, we walked in, back out to the patio, nobody around, didn't mask up, but would've to move through people at other tables (it was pretty much empty).

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Went into a fast food joint to pick up my online order. They closed off the seating area during the Pandemic but first day without mask mandates for restaurants and the place was jam packed. *sigh* Hoping against reality that this change wasn't premature.

Still wearing masks wherever there are crowds (and hand sanitizer, and keeping my distance). I don't trust people to follow simple precautions. Many could not do the bare minimum at the height of the Pandemic. I have no confidence with too many of my fellow citizens.
Went to the grocery store today. About 80% of people were masked. Nobody said anything about it one way or the other.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
It's been weird for me.

I took a seasonal job to pay for Christmas gifts, and the place ( not sure if I will stay ) decided to keep me on. Last week the place said the CDC says masks aren't necessary in the building. But, any place I go to that has customers still have all of their employees wearing masks / chinstraps. I just carry my mask with me and wear it still.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's been weird for me.

I took a seasonal job to pay for Christmas gifts, and the place ( not sure if I will stay ) decided to keep me on. Last week the place said the CDC says masks aren't necessary in the building. But, any place I go to that has customers still have all of their employees wearing masks / chinstraps. I just carry my mask with me and wear it still.
I'm wearing my mask for the foreseeable future. The local pizza joint had its gates up. Not sure if they're cleaning out the place or reopening after abruptly closing a couple months ago. I refused to eat inside after most customers were maskless before the vaccinated could sit down to eat. (They had a few tables on the sidewalk, but half the time the space was mostly occupied by non-customers.) I really miss their Italian cuisine, but I value my safety more.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's been weird for me.

Yeah, I kind of adapt to the situation, if I'm not wearing a mask, but other people are, or someone I'm interacting with is wearing one, I'll put mine on too. Like if they're concerned, I'll be concerned with and for them.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

This is me and I don't care what anyone thinks, it'll be a long time before I'm indoors in a crowd without a mask. We went to a home and garden show over the weekend and out of thousands of people only a couple were wearing them. Fine now that cases are low but I still won't risk it personally.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
This is me and I don't care what anyone thinks, it'll be a long time before I'm indoors in a crowd without a mask. We went to a home and garden show over the weekend and out of thousands of people only a couple were wearing them. Fine now that cases are low but I still won't risk it personally.
I'm seriously thinking that I will severely limit my jaunts to places where crowds are guaranteed. The fast food joint has a ton of Queens College students. Skipping them for a while. My fav restaurant said they'll probably drop their mask requirement for pickup. I will limit myself to maybe once a week, probably during the weekend when it's less crowded in the early evening.

Almost all the other restaurants in the area immediately did away with the mask requirement. They're all sketchy and I avoided them like they ... ahem, plague. They're not serious about the Pandemic so I'll continue to not patronize them.

I'll have to fight my mother in-law, but I'll be cooking many (most?) of my meals with the warmer weather.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm seriously thinking that I will severely limit my jaunts to places where crowds are guaranteed. The fast food joint has a ton of Queens College students. Skipping them for a while. My fav restaurant said they'll probably drop their mask requirement for pickup. I will limit myself to maybe once a week, probably during the weekend when it's less crowded in the early evening.

Almost all the other restaurants in the area immediately did away with the mask requirement. They're all sketchy and I avoided them like they ... ahem, plague. They're not serious about the Pandemic so I'll continue to not patronize them.

I'll have to fight my mother in-law, but I'll be cooking many (most?) of my meals with the warmer weather.
I don't think you are alone, you see this same sentiment everywhere for those who aren't ready to drop the mask. Over the weekend in the Bay Area everyone was still wearing them, even outside and alone. 🤷‍♂️

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
My parents are now both at extreme health risk, and I'm visiting much more often than when COVID first hit. My work has about 20 people, but we got word on Friday that the mandate has lifted. Three of us are still wearing masks around each other. We had an outbreak just three weeks ago in the office, so 4 people had to quarantine for two weeks each, while the mandate was in effect.

Top Bottom
1 2