COVID Stupid

Muslim isn't a race. And being prejudiced against a certain religion is Sectarianism, not Racism.

And yes we did.
Another term for prejudice against people based on their religion is bigotry. So let’s say it’s bigotry that you are espousing. But it is also racism because you have only tossed this term out there towards a black man.

Another term for prejudice against people based on their religion is bigotry. So let’s say it’s bigotry that you are espousing. But it is also racism because you have only tossed this term out there towards a black man.

That is exactly what I am saying. You are looking for racism. By your post, I can never criticize Obama because he is Black. Or any criticism against him is racist no matter what he did. Sorry, not the way the world works.

Let's pour one out for our passing homey, ...irony.
giphy.gif

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1434871760986390532/

That is exactly what I am saying. You are looking for racism. By your post, I can never criticize Obama because he is Black. Or any criticism against him is racist no matter what he did. Sorry, not the way the world works.
That’s a typical racist conclusion, though, even if you probably don’t see it.

But let’s stick to COVID Stupid here.

The ”muslim sympathizer” attack on him is racism and bigotry. You don’t think it is, because well… you don’t see yourself as a racist. You may not be a racist, but that statement is. As I said, white people with “American” names are not being called Muslim sympathizers. It is Obama getting nailed with it. The black guy with a “foreign” name.

And the LeBron James / China thing? That’s just plain racism. There are many politicians and businesspeople who actually could speak out against Chinese human rights violations. If you cannot see the racism that makes one skip over hundreds of people until you get to a black one to start placing blame for problems in China… well you’re not looking very carefully.

PS - Calling out China for locking up Uyghurs makes you a Muslim sympathizer too, right?

Racism can be easily mixed in with religious prejudice when looking at groups of people associated with a religion. And the people who wanted to call President Obama a Muslim, it was because they were trying to pin false sympathies equivalent to treason on him, AND because he is black. Ok, maybe not you, but that does not mean this appraisal is inaccurate.

And the LeBron James / China thing? That’s just plain racism. There are many politicians and businesspeople who actually could speak out against Chinese human rights violations. If you cannot see the racism that makes one skip over hundreds of people until you get to a black one to start placing blame for problems in China… well you’re not looking very carefully.
Ask Daryl Morey how that turned out for him. Like I said, it is more of an NBA thing, he is just very visible and makes millions from China.

Yes, I started that thread. Basically because you and a couple of others did nothing but call me a racist over at PRSI and I wanted to understand why. The why is because I breathe.

But l,et me clarify a couple of things. I don't blame Lebron for China's problems. I blame him for taking their dirty money all the while keeping his mouth shut about everything else they do. More of an NBA problem than a LeBron problem, he is just the most visible. Me calling Obama a Muslim sympathizer is not racist. It has nothing to do with race. For decades we called diseases and virus's based on the country of their discovery. Until China. We have to bow to China. Well if you have ever called the H1N1 Flu the Spanish Flu, are you a racist?

You seem to be targeted by it a bit more, well a lot more, than most. I don't know if you actually are, think you are or you just go looking for it. My friend Jay is Black. He isn't always looking for it. If he were, we would not be friends. I don't see him walking into a c-store in southern WV wondering which one of these rednecks is going to kill me. We go in, get some food and we leave. Just like every other white person does. Now maybe he goes home and tells his wife all the racists he saw that day, I don't know. But he doesn't seem the type. Not everything is racist and some things that may be, are not necessarily meant to be. I will say this: if your wife, daughter, mother, son, grandmother or anyone else you care about breaks down or gets a flat tire while traveling through WV, you want me to be one to roll up to help them. I will make sure they get back on their way safely. I will protect them like my own family. Just like I would anyone else. Even you. And if they think I am a racist, I can live with that.

H1N1 is the correct reference to a virus otherwise known as Swine Flu. The Spanish Flu is the virus that created the 1918 pandemic, and originated in Kansas, before it was spread across the world by U.S. soldiers.

So, maybe naming viruses after their origin is less useful than naming viruses after a nomenclature like SARS-CoV-2, or COVID-19.

The people pushing for it to be called the Chinese Flu are always looking to blame China for the virus, and thereby hope to undercut how disastrous conservatives have been at blunting its spread, from Trump's bumbling to DeSantis' obvious corruption.

As for your buddy Jay, it's worth considering that if a person of color doesn't tell you about a racist interaction, it may not be because they don't have them, but rather they don't trust you to talk about them.

Sure, not everything is racist, and lots of people are navigating the world the right way without intentionally racist intentions, but the desperate need to call SARS-CoV-2 the Chinese Flu is one. And, so were the arguments that Obama was a secret Muslim because they were based on race, sectarianism, and overt bigotry.

Bigotry drives the attacks on China. But, to be clear, China is run by people who routinely violate human rights, and we should acknowledge how they're treating the Uighurs, and those in Hong Kong. And, we also have to be really thoughtful about how China has worked power structures in North Africa and Afghanistan, and how we are in a long-term cold war with them over resources and places like Taiwan. We also have to acknowledge that they're a huge trading partner, and a complex culture, and that simply treating them like an enemy is stupid, and so is spending billions on the idea that we're getting into a shooting war with them. Rather, we're in an economic war that we're losing.

Last edited:
You do realize this story has been debunked, right. Totally false.

Glad you noted this. Rolling Stone used to be far better, and they need to go rehire the old magazine fact-checkers who would have never let this one fly.

That said, it's clear that ERs and ICUs are getting hit with far too many people who didn't get the vaccine, and that hospitals nationwide are burning through resources in such a way that triage is necessary. Someone's going to die because they couldn't get oxygen, or a vent, or treatment because we are a nation of adolescents.

As for your buddy Jay, it's worth considering that if a person of color doesn't tell you about a racist interaction, it may not be because they don't have them, but rather they don't trust you to talk about them.

Maybe. I really don't know. But I do know me being a racist doesn't stop him from calling me to do stuff as much as I call him. :unsure:

Ask Daryl Morey how that turned out for him. Like I said, it is more of an NBA thing, he is just very visible and makes millions from China.
You are still skipping over everybody else that has business in China and going straight to the most prominent black person who benefits from business in China. Do you go after the CEO of Nike? No, you go after LeBron who benefits from Nike’s business in China.

Maybe. I really don't know. But I do know me being a racist doesn't stop him from calling me to do stuff as much as I call him. :unsure:

Friendships are complex things. And, so is race in America. There are Black people who will actively argue against the idea of modern racism, thinking that it ended with the Civil Rights era, and there are people who shrink and get furious at every supposed lapse. As people, we need to be more honest, more thoughtful, and more forgiving.

Glad you noted this. Rolling Stone used to be far better, and they need to go rehire the old magazine fact-checkers who would have never let this one fly.

Rolling Stone isn't really the problem. It is when other supposed real journalists like Maddow tweet it to her 10.5M followers. Rolling Stone did the correct thing and issued an update, but Maddow will never update the tweet or send the correction.

The other issue I see with this media push to link Ivermectin with horse dewormer is that Ivermectin one of the most prescribed anti-parasitic medicines in the world. So imagine someone who has be infected with roundworm and the Dr. says they are going to prescribe Ivermectin and the person freaks because the media told them it was horse dewormer. The media as a whole needs to be more responsible.

You are still skipping over everybody else that has business in China and going straight to the most prominent black person who benefits from business in China. Do you go after the CEO of Nike? No, you go after LeBron who benefits from Nike’s business in China.

Right. LeBron is a piper compared to U.S. multinationals, like G.E., Ford, Boeing, General Motors, and Coca-Cola.

At my workplace, we had an incident of disgusting overt racism by one person that was very public. As a result, we had some small-group discussions about the issue. Almost every black person had a story of somebody making a racist comment or joke towards them at some point, and usually the offender would laugh it off. Even if they told the offender it bothered them, the offender would insist they were just joking and act annoyed at the offended person for not “getting it.”

The offended people never mentioned these things before. It took a “big event” for attention to be paid, and when people started telling their stories, I know a lot of people were surprised. People that deal with this kind of racism don’t bring it up, or they get hit with statements like those I saw in this thread and quite often at MR: “Why are YOU making everything about race?”

So just because the one black guy who hangs out with a group of white people doesn’t bring up racist things they said/did doesn’t mean they aren’t happening.

Last edited:
Back