COVID Stupid

Edd

Itā€™s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hereā€™s a sad story of a British guy who refused the vaccine ā€˜until more was learned about itā€™ and effectively died very young due to his own stupidity.

So sad for his family that are left behind and so unnecessary when we are all being offered protection. I bet his last thoughts were absolutely full of regret.
Read the story. Iā€™m trying to feel bad for him but when I got to the point where heā€™s being pissy about wearing a mask in the gym Iā€™m thinking ā€œfuck this guyā€.

Not being argumentative, just reporting my gut reaction.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
We have discussed in other threads the leaders of Missouri are terrible people based on their treatment of the wrongfully convicted and the pardon of white-power types who threatened peaceful protesters with guns.

But if you needed further convincing, hereā€™s a story about them hiding results from a study that confirmed masks saved lives in their state.

Mask mandates saved lives and prevented COVID-19 infections in Missouriā€™s biggest cities during the worst part of the delta variant wave, an analysis by the state Department of Health and Senior Services shows.

But the analysis, conducted at the request of Gov. Mike Parsonā€™s office in early November, was never made public and was only obtained by The Missouri Independent and the Documenting COVID-19 project after a Sunshine Law request to the department.
These people have the gumption to call themselves ā€œpro-life.ā€

PS:

ā€œJackson County has imposed an unlawful, arbitrary, and capricious mask mandate that is not supported by the data or the science,ā€ the opening sentence to Schmittā€™s lawsuit against Jackson County states.
Gee I wonder why he wanted the data and science hiddenā€¦

Last edited:

Edd

Site Donor
Reaction score
We have discussed in other threads the leaders of Missouri are terrible people based on their treatment of the wrongfully convicted and the pardon of white-power types who threatened peaceful protesters with guns.

But if you needed further convincing, hereā€™s a story about them hiding results from a study that confirmed masks saved lives in their state.

PS:

I lived in Missouri as a kid and have visited as an adult. Can confirm it suuuuuuuucks.

One caveat: The St Louis Arch is actually kinda cool.

Edd

Site Donor
Reaction score
It was cool finally getting a chance to visit the Arch. Then I read a detailed history of it and was bummed out for the rest of my trip, and ever since.
Sorry, Iā€™m on my 3rd margarita and just skimmed Wikipedia but not seeing it. Iā€™m all ears for additional reasons to hate Missouri, where half my family is from and havenā€™t spoken to in 20 years or so.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Iā€™m on my 3rd margarita and just skimmed Wikipedia but not seeing it. Iā€™m all ears for additional reasons to hate Missouri, where half my family is from and havenā€™t spoken to in 20 years or so.

From Wikipedia's entry on the Arch

Civil rights activists regarded the construction of the arch as a token of racial discrimination. On July 14, 1964, during the workers' lunchtime, civil rights protesters Percy Green and Richard Daly, both members of Congress of Racial Equality, climbed 125 feet up the north leg of the arch to "expose the fact that federal funds were being used to build a national monument that was racially discriminating against black contractors and skilled black workers." As the pair disregarded demands to get off, protesters on the ground demanded that at least 10% of the skilled jobs belong to African Americans. Four hours later, Green and Daly dismounted from the arch to charges of "trespassing, peace disturbance, and resisting arrest."[56][57] This incident inter alia spurred the United States Department of Justice to file the first pattern or practice case against AFLā€“CIO under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, on February 4, 1966, but the department later called off the charges.[58] The 1966 lawsuit was an attempt by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance (OFCC) to desegregate building-trade unions nationwide.

Not mentioned is that 95% of the residents evicted from the area that would become the Arch project were African American. That the area was no more "blighted" than other surrounding areas. That 5000 jobs, mostly of Black workers, were destroyed. That the bond vote for the project was rigged and corrupt. The resulting jobs years later for the Arch project denied skilled Black workers opportunities, and the resulting Arch enhanced segregation that exists to this day.

A few years ago when the 50th Anniversary was celebrated, the official photo included few (no?) Black members of St. Louis officialdom or community groups. A perfect symbol of the Arch's history in a city with a majority Black population. Was glad the hubby turned down a position in St. Louis. I couldn't see myself living in the state even as a part-time, occasional resident.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Talked to a former AJROTC colleague this afternoon. He told me that another colleague of ours died from Covid. Anti-vaxer. I was unsurprised. I donā€™t quite understand how a guy could spend 20+ years as an Army officer and then another 20 years as a SAI and be that dumb.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Talked to a former AJROTC colleague this afternoon. He told me that another colleague of ours died from Covid. Anti-vaxer. I was unsurprised. I donā€™t quite understand how a guy could spend 20+ years as an Army officer and then another 20 years as a SAI and be that dumb.
A tribal mentality paired with the constant reinforcement of anti-vax or anti-mask propaganda on the right-wing tribeā€™s Facebook pages (and cable TV news) can harm even otherwise intelligent people.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Read the story. Iā€™m trying to feel bad for him but when I got to the point where heā€™s being pissy about wearing a mask in the gym Iā€™m thinking ā€œfuck this guyā€.

Not being argumentative, just reporting my gut reaction.

I definitely feel more sad for his sister and family than for him. He had the same information as the rest of us but chose to be influenced by conspiracy theorists and thought he knew better. He paid the ultimate price and learned an irreversible lesson. My cousin is very much of the mindset of this guy and isnā€™t vaccinated. Sheā€™s become very passionate for spreading misinformation and has started falling out with members of our family because she ā€˜feels aloneā€™ as nobody in the family is ā€˜likingā€™ her rants on Facebook (because they donā€™t agree with her).

Itā€™s a difficult situation because on one hand I have the opinion that those who choose not to be vaccinated are stupid and reap what they sow, but then I know a few people who fall into this camp and Iā€™d hate to see them die.

Edd

Site Donor
Reaction score
I definitely feel more sad for his sister and family than for him. He had the same information as the rest of us but chose to be influenced by conspiracy theorists and thought he knew better. He paid the ultimate price and learned an irreversible lesson. My cousin is very much of the mindset of this guy and isnā€™t vaccinated. Sheā€™s become very passionate for spreading misinformation and has started falling out with members of our family because she ā€˜feels aloneā€™ as nobody in the family is ā€˜likingā€™ her rants on Facebook (because they donā€™t agree with her).

Itā€™s a difficult situation because on one hand I have the opinion that those who choose not to be vaccinated are stupid and reap what they sow, but then I know a few people who fall into this camp and Iā€™d hate to see them die.
This doesnā€™t go for everyone but if they refuse to wear a mask in areas that require it, then theyā€™re passively announcing that they donā€™t care about other people and letā€™s just see how it plays out. Like, they donā€™t care about being simply polite.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
This doesnā€™t go for everyone but if they refuse to wear a mask in areas that require it, then theyā€™re passively announcing that they donā€™t care about other people and letā€™s just see how it plays out. Like, they donā€™t care about being simply polite.

Does this apply to politicians as well? Because every time one of our leaders gets caught without a mask when it is required, a litany of excuses is made for them.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Does this apply to politicians as well? Because every time one of our leaders gets caught without a mask when it is required, a litany of excuses is made for them.
Agreed. Look at all the excuses made for this politician. He got a positive COVID test, and then went into crowded places multiple times without a mask, and didnā€™t tell anybody he had put them at risk. Doesnā€™t that make you angry?

Click the link to find outā€¦

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

No, it doesn't apply to politicians. Here's why. If you're already a monster, then by not wearing a mask, you're simply a monster not wearing a mask. You can't say not wearing a mask makes them a monster because the mask didn't really change anything. It's not part of the equation. We might all have our favorite monsters, but let's never forget what they truly are.

Show me a politician who cares about others and is polite. THEN we can have a conversation. :)

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score

It always annoys me when I see politicians not wearing masks at public events to be honest. It send a very bad message to the public, some of which are questioning the whole pandemic for whatever dodgy reasons theyā€™ve read on a blog. Politicians seem to deflect criticism away I think because they do a dozen or more PCR tests a week.

U

User.45

PS:

Well the article does a poor job to back up the heavy statements.
1. We knew this, there'd been numerous studies from Missouri showing a reduction of covid cases once mask mandates were called despite the higher pop density and initially higher case load in 2020.
2. The graph showed in the article would require more data not just the absolute number of cases pre and post mandate

If you want to have a comparative graph for the effect of mask mandate, it should graph case number changes relative to the numbers at the time of the mandate.

Top Bottom
1 2