Electric Vehicles: General topics

I wonder a how a track mode, full rear bias 60MPH sideways drift affects the safety score ... :ROFLMAO:
Seriously man, WTF with that score? I never did hard breaking or hard steering myself, the care did it all on its own. Then it fucking penalized me for it? Sorry but FSD is terrible and no way ready for even beta prime time.

I haven't read up on the rules but I'm guessing at some point it will disable itself over this score, had I paid $10K for it I would be suing their asses for a refund over this piece of shit addition.

Remember the “production” version of FSD is still meant for mostly highways. It won’t turn or proceed at stop signs, etc. It’s largely useless for city streets even though it has some features like traffic light recognition.

Hence the issue with naming. It’s got some useful functions I would like, but nothing that justifies the price nor what I would describe as “FSD”.

But the issues you experienced on the highway is of course still valid, though admittedly I’m not familiar with how it is supposed to work besides I know it is able to change lanes on autopilot and take off ramps.

Remember the “production” version of FSD is still meant for mostly highways. It won’t turn or proceed at stop signs, etc. It’s largely useless for city streets even though it has some features like traffic light recognition.

Hence the issue with naming. It’s got some useful functions I would like, but nothing that justifies the price nor what I would describe as “FSD”.

But the issues you experienced on the highway is of course still valid, though admittedly I’m not familiar with how it is supposed to work besides I know it is able to change lanes on autopilot and take off ramps.
From what I can see the only real "production" benefit here is the ability to use blinkers while active cruise control is engaged. Hardly worth an additional $12K (now).

From what I can see the only real "production" benefit here is the ability to use blinkers while active cruise control is engaged. Hardly worth an additional $12K (now).

That and dumb/basic summon would be nice to have to be able to get the car out of tight spots. But you’re right not worth the $12K.

Been researching a BMW i3 or i3s for a few days. I’m looking for something smaller that hopefully Mrs AFB will drive as well as me. Then we can cut down to one car. For the occasions I need a longer drive, I could hire something if range becomes an issue.

Been researching a BMW i3 or i3s for a few days. I’m looking for something smaller that hopefully Mrs AFB will drive as well as me. Then we can cut down to one car. For the occasions I need a longer drive, I could hire something if range becomes an issue.
i3 owner for 5 years now. Hit me up if you have questions.
My comments:
1. It's a great city car. If you never need to seat more than 4 people it's even greater.
2. If you get the range extender version it can reasonably do medium trips, but ALL of my issues with the car were related to the range extender. The engine mount broke after I hit a pothole in -10F degree weather and it broke the car after a year. I got it all fixed ($16K worth, lol) in 2018 on warranty and having zero issue since.
3. BMW just stopped selling these new.
4. I still think it's a decent bargain in the USA to get one for like $15K, but probably wouldn't want a REx version without warranty...
5. Otherwise, I'd recommend just getting a Leaf 2. Longer range, nice tech, more space, etc.

Have you checked out the Mini Cooper EV? Wondering how it is as a commuting/shorter range EV.

i3 owner for 5 years now. Hit me up if you have questions.
My comments:
1. It's a great city car. If you never need to seat more than 4 people it's even greater.
2. If you get the range extender version it can reasonably do medium trips, but ALL of my issues with the car were related to the range extender. The engine mount broke after I hit a pothole in -10F degree weather and it broke the car after a year. I got it all fixed ($16K worth, lol) in 2018 on warranty and having zero issue since.
3. BMW just stopped selling these new.
4. I still think it's a decent bargain in the USA to get one for like $15K, but probably wouldn't want a REx version without warranty...
5. Otherwise, I'd recommend just getting a Leaf 2. Longer range, nice tech, more space, etc.
Thanks. I’d go for a nearly new rather than new. Would you go for the bigger battery (120kw) without the REX? I’ve read that most of peoples issues are with the REX (that you also have to carry everywhere).
95% of my trips are with one person. 0% are with more than two.

Thanks. I’d go for a nearly new rather than new. Would you go for the bigger battery (120kw) without the REX? I’ve read that most of peoples issues are with the REX (that you also have to carry everywhere).
95% of my trips are with one person. 0% are with more than two.
I would not pay more than $20K for the I3 in 2022. Period.
That said, if you can charge at home then the range will unlikely to be an issue.
You might wanna check it with your wife though.
My wife is a hypermiler and got nervous about the speed of the car for the first few years. So there's a chance she won't like it.

If you get one, get one with CarPlay/Android auto and the Harman Kardon speakers. During COVID I used to use the car as my office when I couldn't take my kids anymore.

I would not pay more than $20K for the I3 in 2022. Period.
That said, if you can charge at home then the range will unlikely to be an issue.
You might wanna check it with your wife though.
My wife is a hypermiler and got nervous about the speed of the car for the first few years. So there's a chance she won't like it.

If you get one, get one with CarPlay/Android auto and the Harman Kardon speakers. During COVID I used to use the car as my office when I couldn't take my kids anymore.
I’ll get a home charger. I also have free charging at the office, which has probably helped me to start researching. Petrol prices are insane here.
Mrs AFB is not a confident driver. She only drives to the shops a couple of times a week (8 mile round trip). I think I’d have to get her used to the idea gradually. But her car is a 2011 Kia and costing us money each year for insurance and servicing etc. my worry is it will start costing us more as it ages.

Stop signs:
Stopped but would not take off without intervention, this happened with every one so I assume it must be a default.

Have to think that would be hard to automate. Even humans don't know who's turn is next sometimes. But even if the car knew, there is no guarantee a human in another vehicle would do what they are supposed to.

I’ll get a home charger. I also have free charging at the office, which has probably helped me to start researching. Petrol prices are insane here.
Mrs AFB is not a confident driver. She only drives to the shops a couple of times a week (8 mile round trip). I think I’d have to get her used to the idea gradually. But her car is a 2011 Kia and costing us money each year for insurance and servicing etc. my worry is it will start costing us more as it ages.
Well, this car is extremely fast after a Kia... In fact I used to beat muscle cars 0-30MPH. Once a dodge charger cut me off after I beat it between lights. It was totally hilarious, but it was in the rough side of Chicago, so it probably could have escalated quickly.

Have to think that would be hard to automate. Even humans don't know who's turn is next sometimes. But even if the car knew, there is no guarantee a human in another vehicle would do what they are supposed to.
So It turns out I STILL didn't have it enabled after all, this time I thought it was. The language around it is so vague that it's hard to tell, I even brought it up over at TMC forums and there are several other experienced owners who have a hard time explaining/understanding the confusing wording and menus they have.

The car said I was "enrolled" with it being in a queue and had several of the features turned on via switches, even now that I know it's still hard to tell. But the bottom line is the car is still not enrolled and I was driving around like a total idiot in city streets trying to use features that were not turned on (even though it said they were). FML.

Didn't know if anyone saw this:

A fraternity brother in college had one. I swear it was like being a rock star because everywhere you went, people stared.

A fraternity brother in college had one. I swear it was like being a rock star because everywhere you went, people stared.

Was his name Emmett?

:D

This is a great way to capitalize on the DeLorean name and brand equity (if any ...), and in the EV space, a small company / startup is pretty viable.

For not in the know, in 1995 the DeLorean name, remaining stock, and logo/branding was purchased by a guy named Stephen Wynne:

Fisker PEAR (I know, *snicker*) reservations opening up.

“Our customers want to take a step into the future with us.” – Henrik Fisker

Our designers imagine how we will move through cities in the future, and we’ve created a category-breaking urban lifestyle vehicle.

The Fisker PEAR is an Agile Urban EV: the future of clean and affordable individual mobility for cities.

Conceived as a mobility device rather than a conventional car, the Fisker PEAR is an electric vehicle for global citizens and young urban innovators. Its futuristic and minimalist concept blends sustainability, technology, and design, while defying classification into any existing market segment. Intelligent and digitally connected, the Fisker PEAR EV’s future-forward features deliver intuitive control and sporty driving.

The Fisker PEAR breaks design conventions. We weave in the very latest updatable tech and wrap it in a compact mobility device approximately 4500mm long that still has clever storage, room for five, and many industry-first features. Affordable, agile, and styled for city living, the Fisker PEAR launches the Personal Electric Automotive Revolution.

We expect to begin the first deliveries of the Fisker PEAR in 2024. The starting price will be $29,900**, before any incentives. As with any product under development, we’ll release additional details and specs closer to deliveries.

Again, that's $29,900**, before any incentives

Super interesting!

Fisker PEAR (I know, *snicker*) reservations opening up.

It's not the "Pear" is that it is one letter off a brand of Scissors: Fiskars.

So every time I see the name, I am going to think of Scissors.

Oh, hahaha, PEAR is an acronym, it kind of felt like that, but I hadn't seen it explained, here's some good info (that's of course, still a bit vague) from Car & Driver:

The Pear—the name stands for Personal Electric Automotive Revolution—will be a compact, five-passenger crossover slotting below the Ocean in Fisker’s lineup. Fisker is promising "intuitive controls, sporty driving, clever storage, and a focus on industry firsts."

Fisker Announces Three More EVs by 2025

While the Ocean will be built by Magna Steyr in Austria, Fisker is partnering with Taiwanese electronics manufacturer Foxconn for production of the Pear. Fisker says that Foxconn will build the Pear in Ohio, so it seems likely that Pear production will occur at the Lordstown Assembly plant which Foxconn purchased last fall. Foxconn is also set to built the electric Lordstown Endurance pickup truck at the Ohio factory, although Fisker would not confirm that the Pear will be constructed in the same facility.

Fisker says deliveries of the Pear will begin in 2024, with a minimum initial production of 250,000 units per year. Fisker is now accepting reservations for the Pear, and interested customers need to plunk down $250 for the first reservation and $100 for a second reservation at a later date.

Foxconn? Great, now you can get an iPhone and a car built by the same factory ... :D

Back