Guns are still America’s religion

The NRA uses a very deliberate strategy I hadn’t heard of before: agnotology. It is a strategy also used by the tobacco companies and fossil fuel companies.

Within the sociology of knowledge, agnotology (formerly agnatology) is the study of deliberate, culturally-induced ignorance or doubt, typically to sell a product or win favour, particularly through the publication of inaccurate or misleading scientific data.[2][3] More generally, the term also highlights the condition where more knowledge of a subject leaves one more uncertain than before.

Here’s how it’s used by the gun lobby. Everything from refusing to study gun violence, to refusing to define “assault weapon,” to nit-picking terminology about different kinds of weapons... it’s all a deliberate strategy, and is laid out in this thread.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1530539080823492608/

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1530539090214625281/

Agnotology works for conservatives, in part, because Enlightenment values often push progressives and liberals into attempting to impose evidence-based logic on political arguments. But if your opponent doesn't play by those rules, you can't possibly have an argument with them.

In other words? It might be pointless to argue with gun-rights advocates because their “arguments” are intentionally disingenuous. It’s not that they are uninformed... they intentionally try to cast doubt where there should be none, and try to prevent honest discussion of the data and the best solution(s) to the problem.

their “arguments” are intentionally disingenuous
If you remember how it was in PRSI, all you had to do was say "the guy had a 30-round clip" and the next 5 pages of the thread would be the ammosexuals tearing you apart for saying "clip" when you should have said "magazine". I have learned more detail about firearms in the past decade than I ever wanted to know.

Canada shows it’s possible to do something about gun violence.

Holy shit with the hyperbole. I was totally unaware that Canada and New Zealand are considered communist dystopias. They should probably keep the rhetoric to non-English speaking brown people countries. I don't know if many people are going to buy their bullshit aiming outside those parameters.

Oops. Can‘t blame the teacher?

Is anyone shocked when the police change their stories anymore? I said the first time the police started floating that story, it was to throw the teacher under the bus, and throw off attention towards themselves.

Is anyone shocked by the newest activities?

The Uvalde Police Department and the Uvalde Independent School District police force are no longer cooperating with the Texas Department of Public Safety's investigation into the massacre at Robb Elementary School and the state's review of the law enforcement response, multiple law enforcement sources tell ABC News.

The Uvalde police chief and a spokesperson for the Uvalde Independent School District did not immediately respond to requests for comment from ABC News.

According to sources, the decision to stop cooperating occurred soon after the director of DPS, Col. Steven McCraw, held a news conference Friday during which he said the delayed police entry into the classroom was "the wrong decision" and contrary to protocol.

Reached by ABC News, a spokesperson for the Texas Department of Public Safety said, "The Uvalde Police Department and Uvalde CISD Police have been cooperating with investigators. The chief of the Uvalde CISD Police provided an initial interview but has not responded to a request for a follow-up interview with the Texas Rangers that was made two days ago."

I said there might be a storm coming.

What's more shameless?

Pete Arredondo, the Uvalde school district police chief who officials last week identified as the incident commander during the Robb Elementary school shooting, was sworn in as a city council member on Tuesday.

"Out of respect for the families who buried their children today, and who are planning to bury their children in the next few days, no ceremony was held," Mayor Don McLaughlin said in a statement.

Nineteen children and two teachers were killed in the attack last Tuesday. Arredondo was identified by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) as the person who decided not to breach the school classroom where the shooter had holed up and instead stand back and wait for reinforcements.

Though DPS Director Steven McCraw did not identify Arredondo by name, he said the chief made the "wrong decision" not to engage with the gunman sooner.

The mayor originally said Monday that the special city council meeting "will not take place as scheduled, adding "our focus on Tuesday is on our families who lost loved ones."

Although there was no formal ceremony, McLaughlin said that members of the council came to City Hall "at their convenience" during the day to be sworn in, adding that Arredondo did appear in person to receive the oath and sign paperwork.
Enter your email to subscribe to the CNN Five Things Newsletter.

Arredondo was elected to the council earlier this month. In his Monday statement, the mayor said Arredondo was "duly elected" and that there is "nothing in the City Charter, Election Code, or Texas Constitution that prohibits him from taking the oath of office. To our knowledge, we are currently not aware of any investigation of Mr. Arredondo."

No response to follow-up interview request​

The law enforcement response -- and the chief's decision not to confront the shooter -- has come under fire as new details of the tragedy emerge, including that terrified students called 911 from inside the class begging for help while officers stood in the hallway.

On Sunday, the Justice Department announced it will conduct a review of the law enforcement response to the shooting at the mayor's request.

Meanwhile, the DPS said Tuesday that Arredondo has not responded to a request for a follow-up interview with the Texas Rangers, who are investigating the massacre.

The school's police department and the Uvalde police department are "still cooperating," but there has not been a recent response from Arredondo to a request for another interview with investigators, DPS spokesperson Travis Considine told CNN.

I’ve been engaging with people on the gun topic on twitter over the last week and my personal favourite quotes are:

- ‘I’m a nonbeliever in god so am filled with hate because I want to take away guns’.

- ‘Mass shootings in American schools are nothing compared to the knife epidemic the UK has’. (Yeah, that’s actually a common claim). [emoji1787]

- ‘America will end up like Ukraine if we give up our guns’.

- ‘Nazi Germany rose to power because everybody had handed in their guns’. Yep quite a few Americans seem to believe that! [emoji1787]

- ‘There’s a lack of mental healthcare so people end up murdering kids in schools’. Funny, they don’t seem to do this in other western countries.

- ‘Abortion is murder, but kids being murdered in their class is the polices fault. Hands off my guns’. [emoji1787]

Had some classics and probably too many to summarise. These people are living up to the messed up American stereotypes and I can imagine for sane Americans it’s all rather frustrating.

Interesting comment from Justice Alito in an unrelated case…

Alito wrote a dissent, arguing, "It is not at all obvious how our existing precedents, which predate the age of the internet, should apply to large social media companies."

Link - Supreme Court blocks Texas’ controversial social media law

Gee, sure would be great if we could apply that logic to a certain amendment, but oddly enough, another court case surrounding the second amendment lead Alito and others to the exact opposite conclusion, that the 2A protects all of these weapons that didn’t exist all those ages ago.

Seems to me this is much like a case of convicting Trump for his numerous crimes - everyone is scared to do it because there’s no precedent for dealing with an out of control dimwit as president or ex-president. The Supreme Court has sort of punted this issue too because their rulings shift slightly depending on the case. Time for congress to act, and stop fearing the vociferous minority of people who want unregulated guns.

Is anyone shocked when the police change their stories anymore? I said the first time the police started floating that story, it was to throw the teacher under the bus, and throw off attention towards themselves.

Is anyone shocked by the newest activities?

I said there might be a storm coming.

What's more shameless?

Wait, the school has its own police department and this still happened? Is anybody stupid enough to continue suggesting that “good guys with guns” is a fix to the mass shooting problem? This school literally did everything that the gun fetishists suggested (and more), and it didn’t only fail to help… it made their response to the tragedy worse.

In a life-or-death emergency like this, the SCHOOL police department takes the lead? WTF? Sounds to me like this school police chief is a popular guy (since he got voted onto the city council) so him being in charge of the response was a political decision. That is disgusting.

What is sad to me is that the response was so flawed and that there seems to be major problems with Uvalde’s police department and government. Unfortunately, gun humpers will totally focus on that and tell everybody to fix that instead of fixing the problem of having 400,000,000 guns in America.

When it comes to the police in this instance, call it what it is.

"Fear for my life" is the ultimate defense & call to action for some officers to kill AN unarmed PoC. "Fear for my life" is the ultimate defense & call to inaction for more than a dozen officers to face AN equally armed individual.

Which is why we need teachers to take up arms as well.

200.gif

It's the fucking guns people. It's also the people. With the guns and in the police.

Back