Guns are still America’s religion

My view, not surprisingly, lands opposite that of Scalia's. To begin with, the commas make the two middle clauses modifiers: the primary meaning is "A well regulated Militia … shall not be infringed", the inner parts modifying that. It is the way English works.

Moreover, one should consider the quaiifier in the second inner clause, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms". How does that clause read if you remove that qualifier? The qualifier makes the keeping/bearing right a collective right, as opposed to the individual right that would be obvious without it.

2A was clearly about setting up a mechanism for Americans to abide in absence of a standing army, which the founders opposed. One might realistically propose that the 5-sided MIC stands in conflict with the very Constitution it is sworn to defend.

Last edited:
Another mass shooting, this time at a Tulsa hospital. 3-4 dead, including the shooter. Ugh.

*A segment covering and discussing the recent mass shootings was interrupted to cover a mass shooting in Tulsa. If that isn’t uniquely American, what is?

Last edited:
Canada, Australia, and the UK are not communist hellholes. They actually did something to get rid of their guns. WTF is wrong with people doing everything in their power to stop that from happening in America? Ban sales of all semi-automatic weapons and handguns. Have a mandatory buy-back. After a year, if you haven’t sold back your AR-15, you go to jail.

My view, not surprisingly, lands opposite that of Scalia's. To begin with, the commas make the two middle clauses modifiers: the primary meaning is "A well regulated Militia … shall not be infringed", the inner parts modifying that. It is the way English works.

Moreover, one should consider the quaiifier in the second inner clause, "… the right of the people to keep and bear Arms …". How does that clause read if you remove that qualifier? The qualifier makes the keeping/bearing right a collective right, as opposed to the individual right that would be obvious without it.

2A was clearly about setting up a mechanism for Americans to abide in absence of a standing army, which the founders opposed. One might realistically propose that the 5-sided MIC stands in conflict with the very Constitution it is sworn to defend.

I agree 100%. The 2nd amendment is not Carte Blanche for individuals to have unlimited military arsenals. The 2008 Heller decision was a terrible legal decision, an overturning of over 200 years of precedent, a butchering of the English language, and a heartless power grab by judges that don’t care when children get gunned down. But even that ridiculous decision allows for government regulation. And banning semi-automatic weapons and handguns are reasonable government regulations.

Last edited:
Charges against a 96-year-old man, who assassinated an employee at his assisted living facility because he thought the employee had been stealing money from him, have been dropped because the man is paranoid and psychotic (not competent to stand trial). He was not supposed to have a gun at the facility, but he carried a pistol in a bag on his walker, and people seemed to know about it.

Charges against a 96-year-old man, who assassinated an employee at his assisted living facility because he thought the employee had been stealing money from him, have been dropped because the man is paranoid and psychotic (not competent to stand trial). He was not supposed to have a gun at the facility, but he carried a pistol in a bag on his walker, and people seemed to know about it.

Nursing home is complicit if any staff knew about it and did nothing.

When Americans saw Russian soldiers were killing in schools and hospitals, many wanted us to go in, risk nuclear war, and attack Russia because those are war crimes. But in our own country, those same things are happening regularly and we aren’t even allowed to DISCUSS banning military-style weapons? Shame on every politician who opposes getting military-style weapons off the streets.

I saw a teacher on Tik Tok say she wasn’t risking her life for her students. She said she’s not jumping in front of a bullet for these students if a mass shooter arrives. She said parents expect teachers to do everything and then want to arm them while they are already overworked and underpaid. Parents want to do everything except tackle the real problem. She said she’s not risking her life and then have her daughter grow up without a mother while these parents get to have their kids and life because they expect her to sacrifice her life. She didn’t sign up for that.

I 100% support her.

It's pretty ironic seeing Republicans talk about arming teachers--teachers that they hate and consider to be pedophile groomers--now all-of-a-sudden they want to arm them because they have to say something about these shootings that's more than "thoughts and prayers" but doesn't go after guns.

I saw a teacher on Tik Tok say she wasn’t risking her life for her students. She said she’s not jumping in front of a bullet for these students if a mass shooter arrives. She said parents expect teachers to do everything and then want to arm them while they are already overworked and underpaid. Parents want to do everything except tackle the real problem. She said she’s not risking her life and then have her daughter grow up without a mother while these parents get to have their kids and life because they expect her to sacrifice her life. She didn’t sign up for that.

I 100% support her.
Maybe every teacher union in America could go on strike until assault weapons are banned. If we just rely on the politicians to act, it may never happen.

Another mass shooting, this time at a Tulsa hospital. 3-4 dead, including the shooter. Ugh.

*A segment covering and discussing the recent mass shootings was interrupted to cover a mass shooting in Tulsa. If that isn’t uniquely American, what is?

Terrible. Obviously these mass shooting atrocities must be reported, but all to often they inspire more of the same.

Unfortunately hospital shootings are not that uncommon. And then there are the exorbitant number of assaults that occur against healthcare providers- nurses I believe have it the worst. I think the average for ED providers is over 1 assault per year. Last winter I had to get stitches from a plastic surgeon because a patient came up behind and bashed my head into a tiled wall. That was great.

Rather recently at the psych hospital I work at, I was going between buildings and saw two security guards dealing with an absolutely irate man. One of the guards gave me a look of “help me”. Then I hear the the man say to the guards “the first person to lay a hand on me will have it cut off”. I come over and deescalate the situation. Apparently his friends dropped him off in the driveway of the hospital and abandoned him and he was in full blown mental health crisis.

I brought him into the admissions building, got him settled with the intake people- he had calmed down and was extremely polite to staff, willing to be admitted, and so I went back to my office. 15-20min later I get a phone call saying that when they searched his body as part of the intake process, they found a hunting knife w/5” blade and loaded .45cal pistol with an extra (loaded) magazine. He handed them over voluntarily without complaint but didn’t seem to realize the gravity of the situation.

It’s absolutely terrifying to consider just how differently this interaction could have ended for everyone involved (and beyond) had things not worked out as they did. The guy was delusional, paranoid, extremely agitated, and clearly terrified and confused- not a good combination with a gun. Thank god for a moment of clarity on his part to be compliant.

I don’t know the full details but response by the local police was apparently left much to be desired with a “what do you want us to do” attitude. They refused to take possession of the gun because the guy had come to the hospital and was admitted voluntarily. I suppose that’s the law but it’s a bit crazy to me. And they had to be persuaded to at least dispose of the bullets (even with the patient’s permission).

Several years ago we had shooting in Boston at one of the hospitals under the same ownership as mine. A man walked into the building, demanded to speak to a specific cardiologist, the doctor kindly stopped his day to spend 40 minutes talking to the man about his mother’s treatment (who had died as a result of her complex condition)- before being shot dead and the perpetrator killing himself. I know a number of people who worked with the cardiologist and by all accounts he was a truly outstanding and brilliant physician and truly went above and beyond for his patients. He had 3 young kids and a pregnant wife. 😔

Safety for hospital workers is something really not talked about enough. I think my hospital does a pretty good job at trying to prevent and handling such incidents. But I’ve heard many horror stories from friends where the admins just try to sweep everything under the rug.

Governor Abbott is talking out of both sides of his mouth:
On Wednesday, Abbott asked state lawmakers to convene a pair of “special legislative committees” to address the issues of school safety and mass violence. During remarks last week to the National Rifle Association, the governor ruled out new gun restrictions in response to the massacre.
He already told the NRA convention he won’t impose any gun restrictions. So even before these special committees get started, we know they are nothing more than a show. He told everybody he isn’t going to do anything. People need to stop voting for such politicians.

I don’t know how true it is but I saw on Tik Tok some parents will have an open casket funeral to show the world the damage. Like Emmitt Till in the 1950s.

GOP Lawmaker Manages To Blame Abortion For Mass Shootings​

Wonder what this idiot would say if he were asked if he supports programs to assist families with babies after they're born, especially if they're not white. He'd probably cut the interview short like Ted Cruz did to the British reporter the other day. But I think these despicable lowlifes should be pushed much harder when they spew their BS.

We learned that the killer in Tulsa bought the gun in a fit of anger and within an hour of buying the semi-automatic rifle was at the hospital shooting his doctor.

(paywall removed)

Then, at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Louis bought a .223 caliber semi-automatic rifle and went to the hospital, also armed with a .40-caliber pistol he bought from a pawnshop on Sunday. Both weapons were purchased legally, Franklin said. Authorities recovered 37 bullet casings from the scene.

Republicans oppose even a waiting period to buy a gun. This blood is all over their hands. If you vote for them, consider yourself an accomplice as well.

Once again… BOTH GUNS WERE PURCHASED LEGALLY. Shame on every single person protecting unlimited access to assault weapons.

Can someone please explain to us how this MF still has a job? He's directly responsible for several of these murders.

CNN reporter threatened with trespassing after grilling Uvalde police chief over his actions during shooting​

The President is on TV right now calling for an assault weapons ban. He pointed out that more American kids are killed by guns than American soldiers dying in battle. That is seriously messed up.

It is time to stop sacrificing children to the gun fetishists. Thank you President Biden.

I agree with all the measures he is putting forward. One area I wish he’d go farther? He reached out to “responsible” gun owners in a conciliatory way, but I think assault weapon sales should not just be banned. There should be a mandatory buyback of all currently owned assault weapons too. But if we take ANY action that could stop shootings, it’s better than nothing.

The President is on TV right now calling for an assault weapons ban. He pointed out that more American kids are killed by guns than American soldiers dying in battle. That is seriously messed up.

It is time to stop sacrificing children to the gun fetishists. Thank you President Biden.

I agree with all the measures he is putting forward. One area I wish he’d go farther? He reached out to “responsible” gun owners in a conciliatory way, but I think assault weapon sales should not just be banned. There should be a mandatory buyback of all currently owned assault weapons too. But if we take ANY action that could stop shootings, it’s better than nothing.
IMO it was the best speech he's given since taking office. He nailed it on every single point, Republicans will not budge on anything reasonable but hopefully the people will take notice. WTG Biden for giving those victims a voice.

Back