Gurman: no new Mac Pro/Studio till 2025

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What about the Max Studio--roughly what kind of sales numbers does it have in comparison to the MBP's?
the only data i have on any of that is that if it was selling well enough apple would pay it more attention.

Altaic

Power User
Reaction score
anybody see any M4 package teardowns yet?
Here's a die shot of the M4 power IC and the M4 SoC silicon mark. Apparently they've finished stripping the wiring layer, so hopefully they'll post the full die shot of the SoC soon 🙂
Source: https://x.com/techanalye1

Edit: added a couple images of the M4 iPad main board

Attachments

• GONWnmma8AAtOJJ.jpeg
    GONWnmma8AAtOJJ.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 22
  • GNzp5l9akAAOfHz.jpeg
    GNzp5l9akAAOfHz.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 22
  • GNpVH_FbMAAjwOB.jpeg
    GNpVH_FbMAAjwOB.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 21
  • GNvURPnbwAAKhEk.jpeg
    GNvURPnbwAAKhEk.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a die shot of the M4 power IC and the M4 SoC silicon mark. Apparently they've finished stripping the wiring layer, so hopefully they'll post the full die shot of the SoC soon 🙂
Source: https://x.com/techanalye1

Edit: added a couple images of the M4 iPad main board
some diagonal traces?

I’d love to see a package cross section showing the die in relation to each other,

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
No change in Gurman's position on this as of his June 2 PowerOn Newsletter. It's behind a paywall, but the quote has been reported by various sources (e.g., https://www.cultofmac.com/858188/wwdc24-mac-no-new-hardware/ ):

"There's no hardware slated to be announced at WWDC, unless Apple unexpectedly previews a new device launching later (to be clear: I don't expect that)."

Hoping that Apple was deliberately leaking no hardware to Gurman, so that we can be surprised.

casperes1996

Site Champ
Reaction score
No change in Gurman's position on this as of his June 2 PowerOn Newsletter. It's behind a paywall, but the quote has been reported by various sources (e.g., https://www.cultofmac.com/858188/wwdc24-mac-no-new-hardware/ ):

"There's no hardware slated to be announced at WWDC, unless Apple unexpectedly previews a new device launching later (to be clear: I don't expect that)."

Hoping that Apple was deliberately leaking no hardware to Gurman, so that we can be surprised.
I want an M4 Max Mac Studio and new studio display. I would order those right away. But in getting more and more skeptical of hardware at WW too. There’s a lot of operating systems to go over by now. iOS iPadOS macOS vision tv watch. And if they want to push ai; could easily make for a long show without hardware. And it’s better to stay in the media longer by spreading out news a bit.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
You know I joked earlier about Apple rushing the M4 silicon out the door to beat Qualcomm's announcement but given the bevy of AI Copilot announcements, not just Qualcomm, all with bigger NPUs coming than what Apple is shipping on the M4 and the rumored lack of new hardware at WWDC, then actually I'm starting to suspect that did indeed play a role. I'm not saying they actually rushed development of the M4, but I do wonder if they would've released the M4 on the iPad Pro and released it this early if it hadn't been for all this. Maybe they would've anyway if everything had been ready, so why not launch right?, but unless we get a hardware bombshell at WWDC there doesn't really seem to have been an intrinsic reason to launch the M4 so soon.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You know I joked earlier about Apple rushing the M4 silicon out the door to beat Qualcomm's announcement but given the bevy of AI Copilot announcements, not just Qualcomm, all with bigger NPUs coming than what Apple is shipping on the M4 and the rumored lack of new hardware at WWDC, then actually I'm starting to suspect that did indeed play a role. I'm not saying they actually rushed development of the M4, but I do wonder if they would've released the M4 on the iPad Pro and released it this early if it hadn't been for all this. Maybe they would've anyway if everything had been ready, so why not launch right?, but unless we get a hardware bombshell at WWDC there doesn't really seem to have been an intrinsic reason to launch the M4 so soon.
The iPads were supposedly originally due in March, and they were already long in the tooth. It’s not like they could have changed their mind and decided to stick an M4 in the new pros at the last minute - they had to plan for it for at least a year. And they had no way of knowing when qualcomm would finally release these things.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
The iPads were supposedly originally due in March, and they were already long in the tooth. It’s not like they could have changed their mind and decided to stick an M4 in the new pros at the last minute - they had to plan for it for at least a year. And they had no way of knowing when qualcomm would finally release these things.
Yeah that’s true. I guess I’m reacting, perhaps overreacting, to Apple’s rather defensive NPU statements during their keynote: “we were first and we’ve got the most powerful NPU launching in a PC … for like a month”. They knew damn well what was coming. Except for Qualcomm most of these chips won’t be launched until later this year but even so it felt very much like a “let’s say this while we still can” situation.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sure, the M4 iPad had to have been ready go regardless. But I thought what @dada_dave was suggesting is that, once Apple got wind of the Qualcomm announcement, if it were just a matter of pushing up their planned release date by a bit to beat Qualcomm, and if that were something they were able to do, might it not be something they would do?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sure, the M4 iPad had to have been ready go regardless. But I thought what @dada_dave was suggesting is that, once Apple got wind of the Qualcomm announcement, if it were just a matter of pushing up their planned release date by a bit to beat Qualcomm, and if that were something they were able to do, might it not be something they would do?
maybe, but since they actually were behind their planned release date (supposedly) that’s just a hypothetical question.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score

M4 Max up to 110 watts. lol. Only one thread/core goes to 4.5GHz on the M4. If 3 or more are active, it goes to down to 3.94GHz. He hypes up everything but Apple.

thenewperson

Reaction score

M4 Max up to 110 watts. lol. Only one thread/core goes to 4.5GHz on the M4. If 3 or more are active, it goes to down to 3.94GHz. He hypes up everything but Apple.
Seeing this guy join Anandtech forums over the weekend and peddle his bullshit (specifically in the AMD thread so far) has been hilarious. Apparently his attempt on Reddit didn't go as well as he hoped. It still does fascinate me watching someone really try to craft a narrative in realtime, however. Like, what is he thinking during all of this? Does he believe it all, or just some of it?

Altaic

Power User
Reaction score
Seeing this guy join Anandtech forums over the weekend and peddle his bullshit (specifically in the AMD thread so far) has been hilarious. Apparently his attempt on Reddit didn't go as well as he hoped. It still does fascinate me watching someone really try to craft a narrative in realtime, however. Like, what is he thinking during all of this? Does he believe it all, or just some of it?
Sounds like he’s on the fake-it-till-you-become-a-sociopath bandwagon.

Last edited:

MacPoulet

Reaction score
True but why did Apple take down the online Apple Store? "Don't buy stuff, watch our developer keynote". Seems kind of dumb.
Agreed. A friend and I were quite excited for new studios and had the credit card ready. Oh well…

We couldn’t wait any longer at work, and grudgingly had to order a lab of M2 Ultras. We were hoping for M3 as these are a five year lifecycle purchase…

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
A friend and I were quite excited for new studios and had the credit card ready. Oh well…
As I said in another post, N3P is supposed to be in production fairly soon. That would fit with the typical November announcement for Mac products. M4 for iPads, and A18, should do just fine on N3E, perhaps even base M4, but beyond that, I suspect they will be using N3P for the more expensive Mac products, all the way up.

casperes1996

Site Champ
Reaction score
True but why did Apple take down the online Apple Store? "Don't buy stuff, watch our developer keynote". Seems kind of dumb.
No spoilers even last minute ones; If they didn't you'd know nothing new was coming! Plus the people managing that part may just do it as procedure and not even know if anything new will come or not…. Wouldn't surprise me

Top Bottom
1 2