theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
More from Gurman...though he's not specifically predicting these for WWDC:
1685754788256.png

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
I 100% expect to see M2Max and Ultra in Studios at WWDC. It's the logical extension of the Studio line.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I guess this guy is angling to become the next Gurman (and not in a good way)? These predictions are … “interesting” based on fascinating rationales.

Yet the numbers can be read another way, and given how risk-averse Apple can sometimes be with its releases, it feels more likely that the early 2024 date will be for the M3 chipset itself, which would delay the new Air and consumer Pro laptops into the bargain. And if you are going for early 2024, then surely you hold back the release of your new chipset to the moment you have the focus of all your developers, namely WWDC 2024?

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ that’s not how things work

Note that the then-unnamed Apple Silicon chipset and the move to ARM away from x86 was announced at WWDC 2020, and the M2 was announced at WWDC 2022… why not the M3 at WWDC 2024 alongside the new consumer laptops with the M3 chipset? After all, WWDC 2022 saw the M2 MacBook Air and M2 MacBook Pro.

For the M2: because that’s when they were ready … if the delay from the fall is real Apple isn’t going to sit on chips for an additional 6 months just because

That also gives the distinctive M2-powered MacBook Air 15-inch one year on the market before an M3 variant presumably demotes it. Any MacBook investment will be significant, and nobody wants their new laptop to be superseded within a few months of their purchase.

🤦‍♂️

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I guess this guy is angling to become the next Gurman (and not in a good way)? These predictions are … “interesting” based on fascinating rationales.
At this point, I've stopped posting rumors from the various hokum merchants, because the rumors have become so inaccurate. Gurman was exposed at WWDC, a month before he swore that the Mac Studio wouldn't be updated until much later, and the Mac Pro wouldn't get an update until later this year. He scrambled a few days before WWDC to backtrack on the Mac Studio, but even then he was noncommittal and was likely basing his assumptions on developer logs. He completely botched the Mac Pro, there's no way for him to weasel his way out of that. It's clear that he burned his best sources long ago and now is subsisting off of scraps, hoping that his previous reputation is enough to sustain him going forward. Plus, I think he uses being a Forbes reporter as a shield; would folks pay him as much respect if he didn't work for an ostensibly reputable news organization?

Gurman's most recent rumor is that there will be a 32-inch iMac coming in late 2024 or sometime in 2025. We've been hearing rumors of a larger iMac since the announcement of Apple Silicon, and thus far there's been nothing. Hypothetically, I assume this would be a way to extend the useful lifespan of the current XDR panels, so at least there's some logic to this notion.

Other rumormongers have either dropped off the map, or much like Kuo, lost the plot long ago. Even display analyst Ross Young, who I don't think is peddling nonsense sourced from his scrying pool, has missed the mark recently. He admitted that he botched the Apple Studio Display, thinking it was a new iMac. He's been chatting about a 27-inch mini-LED Apple monitor for some time now, which has yet to make an appearance.

Sure, Apple prototypes a lot of devices that will never become products, but it's become easy for them to hide behind "plans change" and move on to the next shiny thing, hoping that we forget about past botches.

I don't think there are any reliable Apple sources any longer. The fruit company has clearly done a good job on clamping down on leakers. This is good for Apple and good for "surprise and delight" when they make announcements. It's bad for those of us who are looking to make a purchase in the near future, as I've stated before I need both a new Mac and a monitor to go alongside it, but I fully understand that basing purchasing decisions on rumors rather than actual need is not a good strategy.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
At this point, I've stopped posting rumors from the various hokum merchants, because the rumors have become so inaccurate. Gurman was exposed at WWDC, a month before he swore that the Mac Studio wouldn't be updated until much later, and the Mac Pro wouldn't get an update until later this year. He scrambled a few days before WWDC to backtrack on the Mac Studio, but even then he was noncommittal and was likely basing his assumptions on developer logs. He completely botched the Mac Pro, there's no way for him to weasel his way out of that. It's clear that he burned his best sources long ago and now is subsisting off of scraps, hoping that his previous reputation is enough to sustain him going forward. Plus, I think he uses being a Forbes reporter as a shield; would folks pay him as much respect if he didn't work for an ostensibly reputable news organization?

Gurman's most recent rumor is that there will be a 32-inch iMac coming in late 2024 or sometime in 2025. We've been hearing rumors of a larger iMac since the announcement of Apple Silicon, and thus far there's been nothing. Hypothetically, I assume this would be a way to extend the useful lifespan of the current XDR panels, so at least there's some logic to this notion.

Other rumormongers have either dropped off the map, or much like Kuo, lost the plot long ago. Even display analyst Ross Young, who I don't think is peddling nonsense sourced from his scrying pool, has missed the mark recently. He admitted that he botched the Apple Studio Display, thinking it was a new iMac. He's been chatting about a 27-inch mini-LED Apple monitor for some time now, which has yet to make an appearance.

Sure, Apple prototypes a lot of devices that will never become products, but it's become easy for them to hide behind "plans change" and move on to the next shiny thing, hoping that we forget about past botches.

I don't think there are any reliable Apple sources any longer. The fruit company has clearly done a good job on clamping down on leakers. This is good for Apple and good for "surprise and delight" when they make announcements. It's bad for those of us who are looking to make a purchase in the near future, as I've stated before I need both a new Mac and a monitor to go alongside it, but I fully understand that basing purchasing decisions on rumors rather than actual need is not a good strategy.
In fairness to Young, a report about a monitor with its own built-in SOC is easy to mistake for a new iMac line.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
In fairness to Young, a report about a monitor with its own built-in SOC is easy to mistake for a new iMac line.
Which is why I set him apart from the others. I think Ross Young tries to be accurate, but he's working with only part of the picture, and good on him for admitting when he is wrong.

Top Bottom
1 2