Hamas has launched a major attack on Israel

It appears that US support is waning due to the large number of Palestinians killed in Gaza. I have noticed a change in tone from Blinken over the last week or two.

From the minute the attack happened everything has been nauseatingly predictable from the level of Israel’s response to the general shift in public opinion to groups freezeframing a point in the conflict and not changing their opinion regardless of what happens after that. It’s harsh to say when we’re talking about so many lives, but it's all become rather pedestrian. Nothing is going to change until there’s a major shift in international leadership but unfortunately they have all the money and guns.

This got praise from some on the center right. Agree with her or not, the knowledge and clarity is almost alien compared to Trump or Biden, and a lot of other politicians. And I’m not a Hillary fan. It’s just unsettling where we’ve come politically.

I never understood the animosity towards Hillary. She wasn't perfect of course, no one is. But Trump successfully vilified her ("crooked Hillary") to the point that he was able to win the election despite her being overwhelmingly more qualified.
Equally baffled. She’s no charmer but voting for Trump over her was lunacy. That’s not hindsight, it was glaringly obvious throughout the general election that she was superior in every way.

This got praise from some on the center right. Agree with her or not, the knowledge and clarity is almost alien compared to Trump or Biden, and a lot of other politicians. And I’m not a Hillary fan. It’s just unsettling where we’ve come politically.

Whoa... What an astonishing real-time display of clarity and logic. I haven't seen that level of thoughtfulness from a politician since Obama was President.

I never understood the animosity towards Hillary. She wasn't perfect of course, no one is. But Trump successfully vilified her ("crooked Hillary") to the point that he was able to win the election despite her being overwhelmingly more qualified.
Hillary over Trump any day, week, century, Millenia, I mean who votes for a POS to lead us down the toilet? Ok, we know the answer to that. 🤔

I think she became the poster child of the moment for the neoliberal machine (that includes Republicans) that has been leaving more and more people behind for decades. And much like with the Koch brothers and George Soros, some people need a supervillain to be presented to them to really activate them.

I never understood the animosity towards Hillary.

We had twelve long years of Republican rule, when some nasty guy from Arkansas waltzed in and punched out a guy whose only crime was that he hated broccoli. Bill broke up the shining-city dream of RW theocratic hegemony, and despite being barely two whiskers to the left of Saint Ronnie, he was a bad, bad, evil man. Ms Clinton (with whom, did you notice, the RW seem to be on a first-name basis, unlike just about any prominent male politician of any stripe) is tarred by her association with Bill the Evil and so is fair game for every possible form of villification.

We had twelve long years of Republican rule, when some nasty guy from Arkansas waltzed in

And I would take him back in a heartbeat. I don't think most of the left would as he seems a bit to conservative for today's D party.

And I would take him back in a heartbeat. I don't think most of the left would as he seems a bit to conservative for today's D party.

Obama was no farther to the left than Clinton was, and if Joe the President is left of Obama, it is barely measurable.

In case anyone has missed it, here is John Oliver's take on this topic. Definitely worth a watch:

Brilliant, reality featuring human perceptions and prejudices. This morning I heard Al Sharpton on Morning Joe (MSNBC) say (paraphrased) you can’t have a sliding scale on human suffering. You can’t legitimately be up in arms when innocents are killed on one side, and turn a blind eye to killing of innocents on the other side in response, not if you are being fair and just.* His statement was not just about Israel-Hamas, it was about the entire world where atrocities are being committed everywhere, but we seem to be blind regarding a lot of it.

* But hey we are humans, right? Fair and just is often elusive once you or the perceived you harm us or our friends. 🤔

Last edited:
I didn't hear Sharpton's comments but you sure can be up in arms when one side gleefully kills civilians and glorifies their acts on social media posts, when they kill children in front of their parents and vice versa, sexually assault girls and women and kidnap over two hundred civilians (doing unspeakable things to them) while the other side causes casualties while attempting to neutralize them and prevent future harm to its citizens. Hamas has already said that whenever they can they will stage a repeat of Oct. 7. .

No one I know is turning a blind eye to Gaza casualties, but if Hamas fires their missiles from rooftops and use schools and hospitals for command centers and weapons storage then they deserve the vast majority of the blame for Gaza casualties. The only alternative is for Israel to do nothing because any action would endanger Gaza civilians while Hamas is intentionally targeting theirs.

"* But hey we are humans, right? Fair and just is often elusive once you or the perceived you harm us or our friends."

Exactly. That's why there were no demonstrations by Moslems when Hamas massacred over a thousand Israeli civilians. No demonstrations about Pakistan recently announcing the expulsion of 1.5 million Afghan refugees who have lived there for 35 years. No demonstrations about the hundreds of thousands of people killed in decade-long fighting in Syria. No demonstrations when forces including Arab militias recently killed more than 800 people in a town in Darfur.

I didn't hear Sharpton's comments but you sure can be up in arms when one side gleefully kills civilians and glorifies their acts on social media posts, when they kill children in front of their parents and vice versa, sexually assault girls and women and kidnap over two hundred civilians (doing unspeakable things to them) while the other side causes casualties while attempting to neutralize them and prevent future harm to its citizens. Hamas has already said that whenever they can they will stage a repeat of Oct. 7. .

No one I know is turning a blind eye to Gaza casualties, but if Hamas fires their missiles from rooftops and use schools and hospitals for command centers and weapons storage then they deserve the vast majority of the blame for Gaza casualties. The only alternative is for Israel to do nothing because any action would endanger Gaza civilians while Hamas is intentionally targeting theirs.

"* But hey we are humans, right? Fair and just is often elusive once you or the perceived you harm us or our friends."

Exactly. That's why there were no demonstrations by Moslems when Hamas massacred over a thousand Israeli civilians. No demonstrations about Pakistan recently announcing the expulsion of 1.5 million Afghan refugees who have lived there for 35 years. No demonstrations about the hundreds of thousands of people killed in decade-long fighting in Syria. No demonstrations when forces including Arab militias recently killed more than 800 people in a town in Darfur.
I agree with you. In very many cases, we are blind, or just don’t care, it’s some strangers on the other side of the world, they don’t register. And btw, I don’t hold myself to be superior in these matters.

The ONLY alternative is doing nothing? From what I'm seeing/listening to/reading, it's not that black and white, with zero options available. There are shades of gray with respect to any response.

Being as ruthless and inhumane as they are, I expect hamas to routinely violate the Geneva Conventions, Rules of War, International Humanitarian Law, etc. with respect to protecting innocent civilians. I hold any country, including Israel, the US, etc. to a much higher standard.

Musk jumps in and loses both advertisers and investors.

image-1.png

Exclusive: Apple to pause advertising on X after Musk backs antisemitic post​

Why it matters: The move follows Musk's endorsement of antisemitic conspiracy theories as well as Apple ads reportedly being placed alongside far-right content. Apple has been a major advertiser on the social media site and its pause follows a similar move by IBM.

The big picture: Musk faced backlash for endorsing an antisemitic post Wednesday, as 164 Jewish rabbis and activists upped their call to Apple, Google, Amazon and Disney to stop advertising on X, and for Apple and Google to remove it from their platforms.
  • The left-leaning nonprofit Media Matters for America published a report Thursday that highlighted Apple, IBM, Amazon and Oracle as among those whose ads were shown next to far-right posts.
State of play: Musk posted to X on Wednesday "[y]ou have said the actual truth" in response to an X post that claimed Jewish communities support "dialectical hatred against whites."
  • That drew widespread condemnation, including from the White House. "It is unacceptable to repeat the hideous lie behind the most fatal act of Antisemitism in American history at any time, let alone one month after the deadliest day for the Jewish people since the Holocaust," White House spokesperson Andrew Bates said in a statement.

Musk jumps in and loses both advertisers and investors.

image-1.png

Exclusive: Apple to pause advertising on X after Musk backs antisemitic post​

Why it matters: The move follows Musk's endorsement of antisemitic conspiracy theories as well as Apple ads reportedly being placed alongside far-right content. Apple has been a major advertiser on the social media site and its pause follows a similar move by IBM.

The big picture: Musk faced backlash for endorsing an antisemitic post Wednesday, as 164 Jewish rabbis and activists upped their call to Apple, Google, Amazon and Disney to stop advertising on X, and for Apple and Google to remove it from their platforms.
  • The left-leaning nonprofit Media Matters for America published a report Thursday that highlighted Apple, IBM, Amazon and Oracle as among those whose ads were shown next to far-right posts.
State of play: Musk posted to X on Wednesday "[y]ou have said the actual truth" in response to an X post that claimed Jewish communities support "dialectical hatred against whites."
  • That drew widespread condemnation, including from the White House. "It is unacceptable to repeat the hideous lie behind the most fatal act of Antisemitism in American history at any time, let alone one month after the deadliest day for the Jewish people since the Holocaust," White House spokesperson Andrew Bates said in a statement.

Apple has zero need to advertise on X. Zero.

Back