iPhone 16 reactions - weird

My new phone arrived, but i made the mistake of selecting the option where it transfers directly from the old phone - looks like it’s half way done, and another 3 hours to go. In the meantime I can’t use either phone. And my watch isn’t getting messages and stuff, probably because it hasn’t yet unpaired and repaired to the new phone (which, in the past, I’ve often had to do manually). And once it’s done, looks like i will have to manually transfer the second esim (setup only lets you pick one esim to transfer, for some reason). So it will probably take me another hour once the transfer is done for me to deal with the watch and the second sim.

I do like the feel of the phone in hand - definitely lighter than my 14PM. And the camera button feels nice (I can click it, but it won’t do anything until it’s setup, of course).

I got the desert titanium - to my eyes it looks sort of cream colored. But what do I know - i have bad color vision.

My new phone arrived, but i made the mistake of selecting the option where it transfers directly from the old phone - looks like it’s half way done, and another 3 hours to go. In the meantime I can’t use either phone.
Thanks for that heads up. I did that in 2020 with my new SE2 and memory says it took less than an hour. I'll restore from iCloud this time.

Thanks for that heads up. I did that in 2020 with my new SE2 and memory says it took less than an hour. I'll restore from iCloud this time.
in the past i used a cable and a lightning/photography adapter to directly connect the two devices. This time I let it go wirelessly. Seems much slower (or maybe I have a lot more data than I did 2 years ago). It says “about 1 hour” left, so that’s good news.

It’s weird to hear the new phone beep when i get messages, but I can’t see them on there (or on the old phone), and my watch won’t shoe them because it remains connected to the old phone which isn’t receiving them (and i don’t see how to force it to just use it’s own radios to retrieve them).

Luckily i can see almost everything on my ipad.

Update: it just went from “about an hour” to “2 minutes”

Was doing the transfer between phones wirelessly a good experience overall? Just got mine and will do the transfer later in the day.

Was doing the transfer between phones wirelessly a good experience overall? Just got mine and will do the transfer later in the day.

All in all, as long as you don’t mind not being able to use your phone for a few hours, it was fine. It went smoother this time than it ever has before (for me).

When it was done, it automatically switched my watch over to the new phone (which never worked before). I only had to complete a few more steps specific to my situation:

- install my firm’s MDM software and log on to get it to start installing necessary apps and logging into my work email and calendar

- log out of my second iCloud account (used for development) and log back in

- fiddle with text size

- re-initiate the California driver’s license thing - it doesn’t transfer over (at least, the application for one didn’t transfer over.) This time it told me within minutes that I needed to do something on the california dmv driver’s license app, which I did on my other phone, and within 10 minutes my driver’s license was available in wallet on my new phone and watch

- turn off homekit notifications (not sure why they were turned on, since old phone had them off)

When it allowed me to use the phone, it was still downloading some apps off the app store, and the phone was getting pretty hot, which caused it to pause syncing of iMessages and photos for awhile. But overall this has been the smoothest upgrade I’ve had in many years.

new camera is going to take me some time to get used to it. Like, if you set the “aperture,” how do you get it back to “automatic” (it’s not really setting the aperture, of course - it’s essentially putting you into portrait mode and setting the software-simulated focal distance). And the button partial-press thing requires more pressure than I expected (though I understand i can adjust it, which I’ll try). And the “tones” and “fake film” stuff doesn’t seem to stick, though there are settings all over the place. I’ll have to sit down and spend a half hour figuring it all out.

Here’s my first photo…

IMG_5678.jpeg

- Higher prevalence of fast charging, which generates more heat that needs to be dissipated. Even if not exceeding 1C, the extra current still produces more waste heat which can age the battery faster.
- Higher prevalence of wireless charging, which generates heat from losses. The losses can be considerable when the coils get misaligned. I've seen a soft-touch plastic charging pad start to deform from coil misalignment. If you wireless charge, use a Qi2/MagSafe puck. Seriously.
- MacBooks, especially the last few years of Intel are heat monsters. While the M1 is much better in terms of waste heat, Apple still lets it build up more than when the Intel systems were actually usable on a lap.
- M1 supports Power Nap which means it's awake and drawing power more often. This can mean going through more cycles per year.
- Recent iPhones can get quite warm under load, which is more waste heat that will age the battery faster. The larger capacity batteries they stuff in helps offset the extra power drain, but may make it more susceptible to the extra heat?

I get what you're saying - maybe it is the fast charging, but none of my laptops spent much time on battery to be fair. And none of those feature wireless charging. All the watches do but the s6 has so far had the worst life.

The hottest macbook i had was my first one - a 2011 15" intel with high end discrete AMD GPU. The second one (2015) was a 13" machine, third one was an intel 2020 air and the current one is a 2021 Apple Silicon 14" Pro. Which tends to run cooler than all the previous models.
All my macbooks supported power nap IIRC, maybe not the 2011.

Phones - yeah they can get hot, but that's no different to previous phones when running GPS on charge in my car which i've been doing since the 6, in 40C heat.

I guess what i'm saying is that despite similar conditions for my devices and everything apple looks to be doing to save battery longevity - i'm just not seeing it.

Last edited:
All in all, as long as you don’t mind not being able to use your phone for a few hours, it was fine. It went smoother this time than it ever has before (for me).

When it was done, it automatically switched my watch over to the new phone (which never worked before). I only had to complete a few more steps specific to my situation:

- install my firm’s MDM software and log on to get it to start installing necessary apps and logging into my work email and calendar

- log out of my second iCloud account (used for development) and log back in

- fiddle with text size

- re-initiate the California driver’s license thing - it doesn’t transfer over (at least, the application for one didn’t transfer over.) This time it told me within minutes that I needed to do something on the california dmv driver’s license app, which I did on my other phone, and within 10 minutes my driver’s license was available in wallet on my new phone and watch

- turn off homekit notifications (not sure why they were turned on, since old phone had them off)

When it allowed me to use the phone, it was still downloading some apps off the app store, and the phone was getting pretty hot, which caused it to pause syncing of iMessages and photos for awhile. But overall this has been the smoothest upgrade I’ve had in many years.

My transfer also went well. Took about an hour overall for 248 GB of apps/data/photos/etc.

One thing I need to figure out is how to get my Apple Watch paired with my new phone. It tries, but then complains. I *think* I first need to unpair it from my old phone. I'll work on that tomorrow.

One huge relief is the new phone runs my home automation software and outdoor security cams just fine. I thought for sure that was going to be an issue being a custom system I put together years ago.

So far I like the phone. It's less than a 1/4" taller than my 15PM. And the same width. The camera control button will take some getting used to. I took a few snaps inside the house and they look fine. I need to make sure RAW/ProRAW capture uses none of the "photographic styles" that are available (it shouldn't).

My transfer also went well. Took about an hour overall for 248 GB of apps/data/photos/etc.

One thing I need to figure out is how to get my Apple Watch paired with my new phone. It tries, but then complains. I *think* I first need to unpair it from my old phone. I'll work on that tomorrow.

One huge relief is the new phone runs my home automation software and outdoor security cams just fine. I thought for sure that was going to be an issue being a custom system I put together years ago.

So far I like the phone. It's less than a 1/4" taller than my 15PM. And the same width. The camera control button will take some getting used to. I took a few snaps inside the house and they look fine. I need to make sure RAW/ProRAW capture uses none of the "photographic styles" that are available (it shouldn't).

If it didn’t automatically switch your watch to the new phone, then you definitely need to unpair it from the old phone and then pair it to the new phone. (that’s the procedure I’ve had to follow every other year)

And the “tones” and “fake film” stuff doesn’t seem to stick, though there are settings all over the place.
There's an option in settings to make them persistent, but until I found it, I was finding the whole thing (where the "tones" went back to "standard" seemingly at random) quite annoying.

Anyhow, I'm liking that you can tone down the extreme HDR mapping iOS applies by default to photos.

I guess I don't have that much data on my phone, took a little over 20 minutes to transfer my settings....took a lot longer for it to download the beta and apply that first (18.1 b4).

It would not successfully pair to my SE old watch though - but, no worries - I paired the new watch and it restored everything out of the cloud....all of the data's there.

Then I hit a bug that it wouldn't populate my Visa card on the new watch. Had to set it up as a new card to take it (suspect maybe this has something to do with this specific bank and how Apple is transferring the information - the bug that bit me on pre-ordering day).

Everything's switched - just need to remove the old devices from FindMy and wipe them, so they're ready to go. :)

I am digging the bigger screen on the watch. The iPhone 16 is nice, but not a fan of how big it is in my pocket, coming from the 13 mini :(

I am digging the bigger screen on the watch. The iPhone 16 is nice, but not a fan of how big it is in my pocket, coming from the 13 mini :(
Coming from an SE2, I tried my wife’s new 16 in my front pocket last night and do not like. My 16 arrives in a few days. I don’t want to be a back pocket guy with my phone. My wife says to “get a man bag”. Can’t even tell if she’s being serious.

Coming from an SE2, I tried my wife’s new 16 in my front pocket last night and do not like. My 16 arrives in a few days. I don’t want to be a back pocket guy with my phone. My wife says to “get a man bag”. Can’t even tell if she’s being serious.
Yeah, the wife suggested some strappy thing. Told her I'm not carrying a murse. :( (we picked up a Louis Vuitton murse for one of her oldest friends when we were in Italy). He's a little metro. :D

No...there will not be any strap-born apparatus clinging to me to transport my iPhone. I'll just have to put up with the unsightly rectangular bulge in my jeans. :(

Edit: maybe with the larger watch screen I'll leave the iPhone in the car/at home more?

having fun with the action button. Wish the shortcuts.app was less crashy. Or let me just type text. Or had an easy way to collapse if.. clauses so i can find where I am. But it works.

Depending on where I am geographically, the menu varies.

Set up my wife’s iphone 16 pro (replacing her 14 pro) this morning. Used the “icloud option.” Went much faster than mine did. (She also has far less data than I do). Took maybe a half hour. Had a few more steps than mine because she uses my phone plan and app store account, so i had to confirm some stuff from my own devices.

Biggest problem for her was her in-car charge cable needs usb-a to plug into the car, and I had to dig through my cable collection to find a usb-c to usb-a cable.

Set up my wife’s iphone 16 pro (replacing her 14 pro) this morning. Used the “icloud option.” Went much faster than mine did. (She also has far less data than I do). Took maybe a half hour. Had a few more steps than mine because she uses my phone plan and app store account, so i had to confirm some stuff from my own devices.

Biggest problem for her was her in-car charge cable needs usb-a to plug into the car, and I had to dig through my cable collection to find a usb-c to usb-a cable.
USB-A to USB-C cables will be around for some time. Cars, planes, hotel rooms, some nicer Airbnbs all have USB-A charging sockets and they ain't replacing that shit until they have to.

Set up my wife’s iphone 16 pro (replacing her 14 pro) this morning. Used the “icloud option.” Went much faster than mine did. (She also has far less data than I do). Took maybe a half hour.
I believe the iCloud option is faster to set up at first because it transfers/downloads less information before making the phone usable, while transferring from another phone requires transferring almost everything upfront.

For example, if you transfer from another iPhone, you have all the photos of the previous iPhone immediately after the transfer is complete, but if you recover from an iCloud backup, you can start using the phone before the photos are downloaded, and the photos will be downloaded in the background (this took me almost an entire day the last time I used the iCloud option).

Ok, which one of these instructions do I follow? Both were in the same box. Maddening.

IMG_3075.jpg

Back