iPhone 16 reactions - weird

You can map your side button for it under Settings > Action Button. You have to hold it for a second or 2 so you can't accidentally bump it, I personally use it for DND but it has a bunch of options.

I had mapped it to Timer, but I will go and change it to Ringer Off.

Thanks!

Thanks!
You can map it to all sorts of things. Even both of those at once.

Even though I think you’re politics is insane, try this little thing I put together for you:

If you install this shortcut, you then assign it to your action button, you should get a little menu that lets you toggle silent mode or start a timer.

IMG_1B0EA1B5C54C-1.jpeg

Edit: Actually hang on a moment. I just realized you may need to install the “actions” app for this particular version. I will upload a link to one that works without any additional apps in a few minutes.

Here ya go. This version should work out of the box without any additional apps. It’s a little less pretty, though, because it won’t have the icons.

Thanks. :)

I think the issue I have been having is when you select the Action button in the Settings, you simply scroll through the options. And then which ever one is showing when you exit, is the one you get. I guess I expected a "Select" button or something to actually select it. Which is how I ended up with the Timer. It was actually a selectable option.

Well now that I have been using the 16 Pro Max in the wild for a bit, I can safely say that............the vloggers and reactors don't know what they are talking about.

The big jump in battery life all by itself justifies the upgrade. It's really cool using the phone all day and only seeing the charge going down only 2-4 points. The new shutter button is for me placed correctly - I MUCH prefer landscape shots to portrait. I suspect this may also be because I am not into selfies. The phone is also very snappy and responsive and like past iPhones the color calibration on the display is flawless. Oh, and I found a folio case that comes close to the classic Apple folio case - it is the Shieldon leather folio with MagSafe.

Last edited:
Well now that I have been using the 16 Pro Max in the wild for a bit, I can safely say that............the vloggers and reactors don't know what they are talking about.

The big jump in battery life all by itself justifies the upgrade. It's really cool using the phone all say and only seeing the charge going down only 2-4 points. The new shutter button is for me placed correctly - I MUCH prefer landscape shots to portrait. I suspect this may also be because I am not into selfies. The phone is also very snappy and responsive and like past iPhones the color calibration on the display is flawless. Oh, and I found a folio case that comes close to the classic Apple folio case - it is the Shieldon leather folio with MagSafe.
Yep. https://www.tomsguide.com/phones/ip...lts-are-in-and-we-can-hardly-believe-our-eyes

One or two extra buttons (depending on which model you are coming from), much better cameras, AI features (which most people haven’t even gotten access to yet, but will shortly), bigger screens, smaller bezels, much improved SoC, etc. Certainly as big an iterative improvement as almost every other year. I guess people aren’t excited anymore unless the face changes - when apple changes the pill-shaped cutout to a circle, I guess they’ll be happy and declare it a massive change.

Thanks!
I do this on my 15 PM. If you press the Action button once, the current setting is displayed in the Dynamic Island. If you press and hold, it toggles the setting, with multiple haptic “beats” for silent, one for ring. You get the same feedback when you press the volume buttons.

In love with the new iPhone 16 after a few days. This is my first Face ID device and I like it much better than I predicted.

I’m weird in that I like gadgets more than most so I’ll screw with them and troubleshoot problems forever but, when it comes to cameras I just tune out. Trying to get a handle on Camera Control and watching a YouTube tutorial bores me immediately. My wife is switching over today, I’m hoping she takes the lead on that.

I might have to disable the camera button. Absolutely driving me nuts how many times I press that picking up my phone. :(
Weird, I don’t have that issue. It’s kept in my right front pocket and the case somewhat prevents accidental pressing. Pretty sure the sensitivity of the button can be adjusted.

I might have to disable the camera button. Absolutely driving me nuts how many times I press that picking up my phone. :(
i’ve never had that happen, happily. I’m not thrilled with the “half-press” behavior, though. I’d prefer it work like the old home button (tap it) or like a real camera button (half-press). I never feel confident I’ve pressed it enough without triggering the shutter. I’ve tried adjusting the sensitivity but i’m still not feeling it.

Got an iPhone 16 Pro from a 13 Pro.

Ergonomics way better with the curves but with a penalty for the extra thickness and size. Overall preferable but would be basically perfect if the dimensions were more like the XS/11 or 12/13 and adding the curved borders. That’s really my only complaint — the size is so insane with the 16 PM I think Apple will actually regret and might start seeing more people just opt for the 16P, not sure that’s ideal, IMO phone lineups are best where there’s a bit of ambiguity instead of so strictly locking people out due to the size or whatever. A 13 inch MacBook vs 15/16 doesn’t feel like it has the same weight phone sizes now do, which wasn’t true when it was the 7/8 vs 7/8 Plus for ex.

Battery life a decent bit better so far (30-40%? Better heat dissipation, display also more lifelike, probably new lamination I noticed with the iPhone 14/15 too. Overall my only negative reaction to the iPhone 16 series is the size, I would sacrifice some speed (running the P core slower more often towards a better point in the efficiency curve) to have a 5.9-6.2 inch iPhone with less thickness and a smaller battery or whatever. Same with worse cameras, it’d be fine. These just keep getting thicker and wider etc. At least they corrected the edge ergonomic regressions with the iPhone 15 though.

Anyway thermals is an improvement, display is noticeably brighter, cell signal an improvement, etc. Darker gray shade an upgrade too to the extent anyone cares about color, more black than the light gray of the 13 Pro.

Ergonomics still a net gain, and USB-C is great. Finally done with lightning.

Back