iPhone 16 reactions - weird

I believe the iCloud option is faster to set up at first because it transfers/downloads less information before making the phone usable, while transferring from another phone requires transferring almost everything upfront.

For example, if you transfer from another iPhone, you have all the photos of the previous iPhone immediately after the transfer is complete, but if you recover from an iCloud backup, you can start using the phone before the photos are downloaded, and the photos will be downloaded in the background (this took me almost an entire day the last time I used the iCloud option).

When i transferred my own data from phone-to-phone, it still needed to icloud-download all my messages and photos, which took several hours (it kept pausing because the phone got too hot, too).

overall, seemed to be very little benefit going phone-to-phone this time (and, honestly, i couldn’t identify any benefit). Perhaps more of my apps stayed “logged in,” but i can’t prove it, as most of my wife’s did too.

this looks so strange. I love the camera button but it makes the case look funky. this is a oterbox defender case.
tempImagenxsqgM.png

Ok, which one of these instructions do I follow? Both were in the same box. Maddening.

View attachment 31495
If it's the same service why not just make sure the old one is backed up to iCloud and then just restore the new one directly from that. I've been doing it that way for years and it works great.

If it's the same service why not just make sure the old one is backed up to iCloud and then just restore the new one directly from that. I've been doing it that way for years and it works great.
I was not sure as this was the first phone I bought that was unlocked made it easy as soon as I turned down the phone connected to Wi-Fi got offered to change my number over to the Esim and use my old phone to set up the new really easy didn't take any effort and I got a notification from T-Mobile that my phone number haven't moved to a new Sim

when you install the new one from icloud, it will even force the old one to do a backup before the new one does a restore (assuming you do the thing where you “quick setup” by placing the new phone near the old one, pointing the camera at the magic pattern at the screen, etc.)

Saw that video on the girl asking Siri about the guy she had a meeting with a couple months earlier...reminded me that no-one's still done the idea I submitted at BB around 2006? Have people opt-in their Face ID (back then it was much more primitive facial recognition) - into a DB stored on the cloud - you agree to share your face hash with your friends or, better yet, the public. You could coyly point your camera at people in a meeting or social event and it tells you who they are. A life-saver for all of us that are awful with names.

Cue all of the privacy nuts :D

Saw that video on the girl asking Siri about the guy she had a meeting with a couple months earlier...reminded me that no-one's still done the idea I submitted at BB around 2006? Have people opt-in their Face ID (back then it was much more primitive facial recognition) - into a DB stored on the cloud - you agree to share your face hash with your friends or, better yet, the public. You could coyly point your camera at people in a meeting or social event and it tells you who they are. A life-saver for all of us that are awful with names.

Cue all of the privacy nuts :D
Or since everyone owns apple devices (i checked), just point your phone at someone and it uses that super fancy find my stuff to show you their contact card (if they opt in).

Or since everyone owns apple devices (i checked), just point your phone at someone and it uses that super fancy find my stuff to show you their contact card (if they opt in).
Do you have a link to this? (doesn't work as you describe on my 16 running 18.1b4)

Do you have a link to this? (doesn't work as you describe on my 16 running 18.1b4)

LOL. No, sorry. I was suggesting it as an alternative “invention” that doesn’t require biometrics to perform the function you are proposing.

LOL. No, sorry. I was suggesting it as an alternative “invention” that doesn’t require biometrics to perform the function you are proposing.
Heh. It would be so much better with Face ID :) - I wonder what percentage of people would opt in? The conspiracy nuts would lobby that Apple would be sending all of the "face prints" to the FBI so they could round up fugitives. :).

This is Apple transparent case:

tempImagefvsubo.jpg

Note Apple eliminated any need for a cutout by putting a capacitive strip right there - it works perfectly.

I ordered a teal 256gb IP16 on the morning of pre-order day and still waiting on it (arrives tomorrow). I just read that color/storage combo is taking longer to get to everyone.

I ordered a teal 256gb IP16 on the morning of pre-order day and still waiting on it (arrives tomorrow). I just read that color/storage combo is taking longer to get to everyone.
ya my wife wanted one but had to settle for blue.

Had the 16 Pro for almost a week now and just discovered that is has no "ringer off" switch. In some cases, that is good because I have dropped my phone before and the shock has flipped the switch so I would go around for a couple of days not realizing my ringer was off. Actually kind of nice.

So is there now an easy way to turn the ringer off and on without accessing the settings?

Also got my new Ultra 2 yesterday and am slowly learning what it can do.

Had the 16 Pro for almost a week now and just discovered that is has no "ringer off" switch. In some cases, that is good because I have dropped my phone before and the shock has flipped the switch so I would go around for a couple of days not realizing my ringer was off. Actually kind of nice.

So is there now an easy way to turn the ringer off and on without accessing the settings?

Also got my new Ultra 2 yesterday and am slowly learning what it can do.
You can map your side button for it under Settings > Action Button. You have to hold it for a second or 2 so you can't accidentally bump it, I personally use it for DND but it has a bunch of options.

Back