Musk offers to buy Twitter

Didn't Musk throw his hat into trying to solve the Thai cave rescue? Solving traffic with tunnels? But somehow climate change is out of his wheelhouse? How dare humans have the gall to demand someone with vast resources devote them to saving the planet.
Well… If he tackles climate change as well as he did the cave rescue, traffic problems, or managing Twitter, we’re probably better of without his “assistance”.

How can you make this argument seriously? Didn't Musk throw his hat into trying to solve the Thai cave rescue? Solving traffic with tunnels? But somehow climate change is out of his wheelhouse? How dare humans have the gall to demand someone with vast resources devote them to saving the planet.

Enough already with the bad faith arguments. The science on climate change is crystal clear and the problem is immediate, and you know it. Humans on this planet will be toast long before a gamma ray or asteroid if we don't do something, right now. The risks are orders of magnitude apart, stop insulting us with these responses. Some humility and self-awareness would be appreciated so we know we're not just arguing with a robot.

What bad faith arguments? Please explain how any of my arguments was in bad faith?

As for your demand that he “save the planet,” do you make the same demand of every rich person? And I guess the fact that, if not for him, electric cars would be nowhere right now is not him “saving the planet?” Between solar panels and electric cars, how much carbon is he responsible for removing from the atmosphere?

He‘s a bad person in many ways, but picking on a guy who popularized electric cars and runs one of the biggest solar panel companies for also spending money on a company that hopes to eventually create the technology to allow mankind to go to other planets and not spending ALL his money on climate change is stupid.

But somehow climate change is out of his wheelhouse?

Given that Musk has shown absolutely zero interest in addressing climate change an any real way, I would say that, yes, it is not in his wheelhouse. Tesla is just a profit-making enterprise to him, the theoretical benefits to the world climate merely a hypable selling point. Quite frankly, I am a bit relieved that he has not made an effort to fix the climate problem, given how his efforts to improve twitter – a much less complex system – have played out.

What bad faith arguments? Please explain how any of my arguments was in bad faith?

As for your demand that he “save the planet,” do you make the same demand of every rich person? And I guess the fact that, if not for him, electric cars would be nowhere right now is not him “saving the planet?” Between solar panels and electric cars, how much carbon is he responsible for removing from the atmosphere?

He‘s a bad person in many ways, but picking on a guy who popularized electric cars and runs one of the biggest solar panel companies for also spending money on a company that hopes to eventually create the technology to allow mankind to go to other planets and not spending ALL his money on climate change is stupid.

Yes, we make the same demand of every rich person who fancies themselves a problem solver. As inhabitants of this planet, we are of course fully entitled to demand our rich overlords focus their attention on bettering it for the rest of us. To bring this thread full circle, what problems does buying Twitter solve? Looking forward to your response.

And by bad faith arguments, I mean I respect you enough to assume you don't actually expect anyone here to buy into your equivocating gamma rays with climate change as comparable threats to Earth.

Yes, we make the same demand of every rich person who fancies themselves a problem solver. To bring this thread full circle, what problems does buying Twitter solve? As inhabitants of this planet we are of course fully entitled to demand our rich overlords focus their attention on bettering it.

And by bad faith arguments, I mean I respect you enough to assume you don't actually expect anyone here to buy into your equivocating gamma rays with climate change as comparable threats to Earth.

You are making strawman arguments. I never said they were “comparable threats.” I said it was a problem that needs to be solved, and I stand by that. Earth will become uninhabitable someday. Now is as good a time as any to start working on what we are going to do about that.

As for your first question - now you are demanding that EVERY dollar a rich guy spends has to be to solve some problem you approve of? I don’t like the guy, but he almost single-handedly moved the auto industry off of fossil fuels. He has created products like solar roofs, battery packs, and mounting systems for traditional solar panels that has resulted in 10’s of thousands of homes and businesses getting off the fossil fuel grid. He runs a company that reduced the cost of space launches by an order of magnitude or so, and which gave the U.S. a viable launch system so that we (the U.S.) don’t have to rely on Russia and don’t have to cave to their demands about other things. In doing so he managed to make rockets which land vertically, which people thought would never work.

So he spent some cash on twitter and is spending some cash on going to mars. I won’t begrudge him that. He claims that both of these are to solve problems (free speech and the inevitable uninhabitability of earth - I disagree that the first is a problem but I agree that the second will be). The fact that you think those are less pressing than the problem you prefer he focusses on doesn’t detract from the fact that he’s probably responsible for reducing carbon emissions as much as anyone else you can name.

And as I’ve stated repeatedly, there are other problems that need to be solved, and I don’t see it as a moral failing for him to try and solve them too.

You are making strawman arguments. I never said they were “comparable threats.” I said it was a problem that needs to be solved, and I stand by that. Earth will become uninhabitable someday. Now is as good a time as any to start working on what we are going to do about that.
No, the time to work on that is after we solve the problems that will affect us long before then. Like, obviously? :unsure:

That's where you're going astray (from my perspective anyhow)

"Now" is not the time for any of that when we have existential threats that need solving, like "now"

There are *always* existential threats that need solving “now.” Again, that’s why we didn’t address climate change in time.

No, now is not as good a time as any. The time to work on that is after we solve the problems that will affect us long before then. This is common sense.
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

There are *always* existential threats that need solving “now.” Again, that’s why we didn’t address climate change in time.

Massive disinformation campaigns and political purchasing by vested interests is why we haven’t made great progress yet.

And it’s not too late. The sooner we get going in the right direction the better off we’ll be.

We can’t lament the score of the game at this point .. we just need to start scoring points.

Massive disinformation campaigns by vested interests is why we haven’t made great progress yet.

And it’s not too late. The sooner we get going in the right direction the better off we’ll be.

We can’t lament the score of the game at this point .. we just need to start scoring points.
Fine, whatever. You are still picking on the one guy who has actually done something tangible to improve the situation, just because he worries about other things, too. It’s pretty ridiculous.

Fine, whatever. You are still picking on the one guy who has actually done something tangible to improve the situation, just because he worries about other things, too. It’s pretty ridiculous.

It’s incredible how much credit you seem to give him personally
Anyhow. This is fruitless…moving along

Meanwhile, Musk must be re-thinking his stance re: Apple - he deleted the “going to war” tweet.

It’s incredible how much credit you seem to give him personally
Anyhow. This is fruitless…moving along

Wow. What a double standard. It’s vital that he spends billions on climate change instead of mars. But if you point out the billions he already spent on climate change, then that’s giving him to much credit.

So I guess with you guys the rule is you need to spend every penny of your personal fortune only on climate change, but when you do so, you don’t deserve any credit. Where do I sign up for that deal?

Meanwhile, Musk must be re-thinking his stance re: Apple - he deleted the “going to war” tweet.

Good riddance!

Considering that Musk is aware of the war in Ukraine, “going to war” was extremely bad phrasing, meme or not.

Wow. What a double standard. It’s vital that he spends billions on climate change instead of mars. But if you point out the billions he already spent on climate change, then that’s giving him to much credit.

So I guess with you guys the rule is you need to spend every penny of your personal fortune only on climate change, but when you do so, you don’t deserve any credit. Where do I sign up for that deal?
When you rewrite other people's arguments and then argue against your own invention, you're just arguing with yourself. Nobody ever said anything like that.

We're criticizing Musk for his follies and refusal to focus on climate change. Even he has admitted in interviews his intentions with Tesla were to move people off of fossil fuels because they are a finite resource, not because they are warming the planet. And we are criticizing you for your surely jocular suggestion that we need to prioritize relocation of humanity from asteroids and gamma rays over solutions to the preventable and very immediate climate change facing us. Surely even you can admit these are perfectly reasonable criticisms.

Last edited:
Good riddance!

Considering that Musk is aware of the war in Ukraine, “going to war” was extremely bad phrasing, meme or not.
So far it's just Musk attacking and looking like a madman while Apple isn't saying a word, they have nothing to lose with this strategy IMO and should stick to it. Meanwhile, the world is seeing the real Elon Musk show himself and it's not pretty.

Back