Musk offers to buy Twitter

Only fully delete your account if you don't mind someone else grabbing your username

I could imagine mildly high profile folks not wanting to be dealing with impersonation

Yeah in that case better to just lock it down as much as possible and leave it. Always possible someone will take the thing off Elon's hands (where is the vulture emoticon?) and turn out to be one of the good guys.

lol! (ElonJet guy)

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 11.21.48.png

Only fully delete your account if you don't mind someone else grabbing your username

I could imagine mildly high profile folks not wanting to be dealing with impersonation
Yeah, I thought of that. While I doubt anyone would be interested in a low profile account like mine, taking over someone's abandoned Twitter handle could cause the original owner a lot of grief. So maybe the safest course of action is to just log in once a month so the account doesn't get deactivated, assuming Twitter follows their stated policy. I guess I could also let the followers I care about know what I'm doing.

Naive question alert:

If I delete my Twitter app on iPhone, does Apple or Twitter have an awareness of it? I’d like it if someone knew.

I'm sure Twitter is tracking their active user count, and knows how those active users are reaching Twitter (Web, mobile apps, etc).

I'm sure Twitter is tracking their active user count, and knows how those active users are reaching Twitter (Web, mobile apps, etc).

Some people are "cross posting" from other social media venues to "the bird site" while trying to entice their followers away from Twitter... whether they are doing that manually or using a bot etc.

Twitter can likely figure out how much of that is happening too, but only if their devs actually have some free time on their hands.

In my case they stayed true to their word, my account was deleted after 30 days.

Yeah but you left before Elon noticed that you had a lot of company on your voluntary way off the platform.

The problem is that he makes these decisions based on emotion and a whim, most of the time without the right functionality, testing, etc. necessary to pull it off and then wants to roll it out the next day. In the IT world this guy is a nightmare scenario but it also makes sense now that we know why somany of his products have such terrible QA coming off the line, we used to think it was production/facility problems but now we know it's a their bipolar CEO.

Yeah the problem with his having taken Twitter private is that it's more difficult for investors to dislodge a CEO with medical malfunctions... but not any more difficult for a regulatory body to decide whether rule violations are being addressed as agreed upon, etc. So ball in Elon's court until the regulators get tired of broken promises and go to court to shut him down or force change in management.

Naive question alert:

If I delete my Twitter app on iPhone, does Apple or Twitter have an awareness of it? I’d like it if someone knew.
If that's the goal, Twitter does not have access to a per-user deletion statistics (that is, Twitter won't know that *you* deleted your Twitter app), but AppStore Connect statistics provide developers with a statistic of app deletions. So Twitter will have access to statistics showing that *someone* deleted their Twitter app. Basically, your app deletion will show up in a plot like this one:

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 20.42.54.png

Just with a lot more zeroes for Twitter.

Because Twitter won't be around in 30 days? Or... ?
Even if Twitter is around in 30 days I wouldn't bet on non-essential services being available anyway. Non-working account deletion would be a violation of GDPR laws, but Musk does not appear to care about that.

Twitter can likely figure out how much of that is happening too, but only if their devs actually have some free time on their hands.
Ha!

And now Elon has ensured that Sweeney got his personal Twitter and all of his other tracking accounts suspended
What a petty little child Elon is

View attachment 20027

What a piece of work Musk is. "I can do this so I'm doing it..."

He must have been a piece of work to manage as a kid. And, he never grew out of it.

Sweeney could pass the hat amongst his erstwhile followers at this point and then make a bid for Twitter that the lending banks might even tell Elon to take.

Some people are "cross posting" from other social media venues to "the bird site" while trying to entice their followers away from Twitter... whether they are doing that manually or using a bot etc.

I’d be surprised if they hadn’t set up that sort of bucketing before Elon took over. Anything using the API has an app token meaning any activity can be traced back to the endpoint used, be it some sort of service that lets you post to multiple accounts on a schedule, or if you just prefer TweetBot to the official client.

Of course, I’m assuming a bit of competence on the part of the previous leadership team and the engineers, but the data is all there to be mined.

So yeah now on top of everything else, Elon's pants are on fire again.
The way I see it is it's his platform and his rules, I just choose to no longer participate. When they had a system of policies and pretty much the same rules for everyone (except for Trump which they openly admitted to) you knew what you could and could not do, on a site that large it's necessary IMO.

The way I see it is it's his platform and his rules, I just choose to no longer participate. When they had a system of policies and pretty much the same rules for everyone (except for Trump which they openly admitted to) you knew what you could and could not do, on a site that large it's necessary IMO.

My objection there is that "his rules" are by the seat of his impulsive pants. So I locked down my setup and check in once in awhile as a lurker. Hard to believe the whole thing could go south. If I were convinced that would happen for sure, I'd just delete my setup but there's a part of me hoping somehow Musk will step back and his now unstable platform will get righted before regulators end up feeling that they have to sink it.

Well, this is just odd. I can’t seem to find any of the headline news articles about Truth Social’s right-wing political bias. This kind of information is the most important news of the day, a company flagrantly operating within its legal rights.

Back