New product announcements

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This morning Apple announced new M3 MacBook Air’s, available for order immediately. Now supporting multiple external monitors.

I’m hoping they announce new iPad Pros this week - my M1 iPad Pro stopped reliably charging last week - the USB-C port appears to be wonky. I’m delaying bringing it to the Genius Bar until after they put the rumored new iPads on sale. Really looking forward to the camera moving to the long edge, if the rumors are true.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess the new MBA only supports two monitors in clamshell mode.

Meanwhile, I finally got around to updating my M1 MBP to the latest bug fix release of Sonoma, and it wouldn’t boot after the update completed. Tried a few times. Ended up making a Genius Bar appointment for that and for the ipad. But then I decided to try and remove the SD card I keep permanently installed in the mac (for carbon copy closer backups) and then it booted. So Genius Bar cancelled. Fun times.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
16GB standard?

Hardware​

• Apple M3 chip with 8-core CPU, 10-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
  • 24GB unified memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • 15.3-inch Liquid Retina display with True Tone²
  • 1080p FaceTime HD camera
  • MagSafe 3 charging port
  • Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
  • 70W USB-C Power Adapter
  • Backlit Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - US English
  • Accessory Kit

Don't need much on the local drive as I have a 2 TB iCloud family plan, and 1 TB Google Drive family plan, plus a never used Verizon FiOS 2 TB cloud drive (came with internet package).

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I guess the new MBA only supports two monitors in clamshell mode.

@theorist9 made a rather accurate prediction/assesment about this

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm ready to buy a new iPad (Air) and a new iPhone but It doesn't look like a phone is happening for me. I want whatever the SE4 is going to be but I guess they're changing the release cycle for that model again. I'm open minded about a different model but I need something small, big phones just aren't for me.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
There is now a standard 16GB config. thats good as stores should offer discounts later on that model
In a post that straddles this thread and @Jimmyjames’ M4 thread, I do wonder if this workaround for external displays with the base M3 Air and the 16GB RAM as a standard model heralds possible changes for the M4. Maybe I’m just being overly optimistic. 😉

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
@theorist9 made a rather accurate prediction/assesment about this

It was funny that they announced the M3 Airs a day after I posted that!

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hector Martin on the external display change: posits it could be backported to all the M2s and current M3 laptops as it is a firmware update. So all of the Apple laptops post-M1 could support an extra display in clamshell mode. How far Apple will extend this capability is unknown. He doesn’t believe that upcoming base Mx chips will increase the number of display controllers for the foreseeable future given the size of the controllers. The technical details are interesting.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
It’s almost certainly because the price of NAND has been going up and now 128GB is cheaper again. But Maxtech 😂
I tried to communicate this and was put in my place. It must be Maxtech. Look at all the comments they got!

Top Bottom
1 2