Russia-Ukraine

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
The second tweet says the Russian claim of destroyed Bradleys was from September 4th. So nope, it was time travelers.

Also I think they are needing to be shipped and Ukrainians need to be trained. So sadly it’s going to be at least a few weeks if not a couple of months before they’re in any active theater of operations.
Huh … videos online … training has started. I don’t know how long training will last

Hopefully they’ll be training a lot more than is required to operate the current crop so we can send another quickly

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
In retrospect, I can’t look back 40 years and say I ever imagined these kind of ignorant in many cases racist clowns being held up as good leadership. As a rule, they got elected because they frequently use suitably negative characterizations such as MAGA, and give US our White Bread Country back. A Democracy where White Privilege no longer exists is BAD.

Then you can ask out loud, WHAT THE FUCK, and wonder about just how doomed we are as a Nation if this kind of self serving behavior continues to predominate in a diverse Nation.

One of the tools the facilitated the White-wing's rise was Ronnie's push for small government and the R's unrelenting push to dilute genuine education in favor of right-wing indoctrination. Ignorance is their greatest ally, and ignorance is far easier to spread: like salting the earth as opposed to nurturing crops.

It would seem that Vlad is leveraging ignorance among his subjects in pursuit of greater power, mostly by maintaining a firm grip on the media propaganda machine.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Russia lost the SMO on the second day, as soon as the Ukrainians stood fast. Russia had expected to just roll right in and take ownership of Ukraine without measurable opposition, but once a battle started shaping up, suddenly Russia found themselves fighting a whole passel of countries instead of one little one.
When they warned of “dire consequences” if the West helped Ukraine, the West called their bluff.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
I can’t help but think Germany wants to stay in Russia’s relatively good graces and have business as usual with Russia the moment the war ends.
Actually, not all of Germany. Just Mr. Scholz "hesitates" to a degree that his name is used synonymous for hesitation ("scholzen" = to hesitate, the opposite of leadership).

Its so bad that commentators ask themselves if Putin may have some sort of leverage against Scholz

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Actually, not all of Germany. Just Mr. Scholz "hesitates" to a degree that his name is used synonymous for hesitation ("scholzen" = to hesitate, the opposite of leadership).

Its so bad that commentators ask themselves if Putin may have some sort of leverage against Scholz

Die Russen müssen Fotos von ihm im Hotelzimmer mit Trump haben.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply all Germans, rather the German leadership, particularly Scholtz.

I heard that one of the (absurd) excuses is that Scholtz doesn’t want the imagery of German tanks fighting Russian tanks, which would be reminiscent of WWII and Germany’s aggression. Unless Germany plans on sending Panzers and Russia resorts to using T-34’s, I don’t think he needs to be concerned about such optics. Being on the wrong side of history in the past shouldn’t be an excuse for being on the wrong side of history now.

The other excuse is that Germany is waiting for other countries to offer tanks- which is silly considering Poland and Finland (pending German approval and the UK have offered tanks, not to mention all the Soviet era transfers that have occurred from Eastern European countries. Now that has morphed into waiting for the US to send tanks which is unlikely to happen anytime soon due to technical complexity.

Obviously German has its own interests it has to consider. As a country, it has a right to act in its best interest. If providing tanks is a bridge so far, so be it, but they should not be blocking tank exports from other nations. Especially considering Ukraine will probably not be recieving the latest and greatest versions, rather ones that are 30+ year old.

I believe allowing Russia to succeed in Ukraine would only be the beginning of future conflicts, likely much worse ones. Germany is not alone in what I would consider providing less than ideal support. But the Leopard 2 is the only easily serviceable tank in allied forces that can reasonably be sent to Ukraine in adequate numbers in a reasonable amount of time.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Yes. Everyone is a nazi except for the Russians. Especially the jews - they are double-nazis.
Well, you know, the Jews are well acquainted with genocide and oppression, if you please, Rebe Tevye, so they are out to even the score. And the Ukrainians, they are retaliating for that thing that happened in the 1920s. The Russians merely had te misfortune to get caught in the middle of all this.

bwinter88

Fight, or nose: pick one
Reaction score
The audacity of Putin to call for the de-nazification of Ukraine, and of Lavrov's unspeakably deplorable "final solution" victimhood act, while simultaneously using the services of Wagner Group—so-named because Wagner was Hitler's favorite composer—makes my blood absolutely boil. The commander of the group has damn SS tattoos on his neck. They are pure fucking evil with an apparently bottomless capacity for inhumanity.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
Now in English as well: scholzing

Attachments

• 4B159A2D-E240-4AA4-AB7A-7FDFA85D4375.jpeg
    4B159A2D-E240-4AA4-AB7A-7FDFA85D4375.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 17

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Now in English as well: scholzing

Also, wenn ich meiner Frau sage, stimme ich zu, dass wir das Badezimmer renovieren sollten, aber wir sollten warten bis der Hund stirbt, oder wir reparieren zuerst das Garagentor, oder wir müssen warten bis ich einen Bonus bekomme, dann scholze ich?

I feel like there must have already been a Yiddish word for that, too.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
It may have already been said in this thread, but those tanks, and other advanced weaponry, are really critical at this juncture. ISW recently noted that Putin may plan to put Russia on a long-term war footing, redirecting its economy to building up its (relatively) decrepit military. Thus if this drags out, Ukraine may face a more formidable Russian military in a few years. Consequently, Ukraine has a limited amount of time to move Russian forces off its land. Otherwise it, and the West, may face a years-long war of attrition:

"Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu announced on January 17 that he will implement Russian President Vladimir Putin's directive to conduct large-scale military reforms between 2023-2026 to expand Russia's conventional armed forces, likely in preparation for a protracted war in Ukraine and also to set conditions to build a significantly stronger Russian military quickly....Russia’s ability to generate large-scale rapid change in its military capacity depends on President Vladimir Putin’s willingness to redirect large portions of the federal budget to a military buildup and putting Russia on something like a war footing for several years. There are signs that Putin might be willing to do so. Reform and expansion on the scale Shoigu outlined will not happen in time to affect the war in Ukraine materially for many months, but it could change the correlation of forces going into 2024, and it could establish conditions for a much more formidable Russian military threat to its neighbors, including NATO, in the coming years. Ukraine likely continues to have a window of opportunity into and through the summer if the West provides it the support it needs"

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
It may have already been said in this thread, but those tanks, and other advanced weaponry, are really critical at this juncture. ISW recently noted that Putin may plan to put Russia on a long-term war footing, redirecting its economy to building up its (relatively) decrepit military. Thus if this drags out, Ukraine may face a more formidable Russian military in a few years. Consequently, Ukraine has a limited amount of time to move Russian forces off its land. Otherwise it, and the West, may face a years-long war of attrition:

"Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu announced on January 17 that he will implement Russian President Vladimir Putin's directive to conduct large-scale military reforms between 2023-2026 to expand Russia's conventional armed forces, likely in preparation for a protracted war in Ukraine and also to set conditions to build a significantly stronger Russian military quickly....Russia’s ability to generate large-scale rapid change in its military capacity depends on President Vladimir Putin’s willingness to redirect large portions of the federal budget to a military buildup and putting Russia on something like a war footing for several years. There are signs that Putin might be willing to do so. Reform and expansion on the scale Shoigu outlined will not happen in time to affect the war in Ukraine materially for many months, but it could change the correlation of forces going into 2024, and it could establish conditions for a much more formidable Russian military threat to its neighbors, including NATO, in the coming years. Ukraine likely continues to have a window of opportunity into and through the summer if the West provides it the support it needs"

I question how long the Russian citizenry will put up with a wartime economy.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
Plus Russia is not in possession of the required economical resources, lack knowledge (large portions of russian tank technology stems from the west), have lost large portions of their income (gas prices plummeted recently while Europe drastically reduced sourcing Russian gas) and lack key industries. The are not even able to produce ball bearings for their own railroad coaches, which is particularly fatal since the Russian Army depends on the railroad network.

I don't see Russia in a position that enables them to reach what they are aiming for. Its a huge country, albeit with an economy smaller than Spain's. Whatever they try, i'll be too little to late

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
I question how long the Russian citizenry will put up with a wartime economy.
Plus Russia is not in possession of the required economical resources, lack knowledge (large portions of russian tank technology stems from the west), have lost large portions of their income (gas prices plummeted recently while Europe drastically reduced sourcing Russian gas) and lack key industries. The are not even able to produce ball bearings for their own railroad coaches, which is particularly fatal since the Russian Army depends on the railroad network.

I don't see Russia in a position that enables them to reach what they are aiming for. Its a huge country, albeit with an economy smaller than Spain's. Whatever they try, i'll be too little to late
Those are both certainly possible. But still, we want this war to end earlier rather than later, and don't want it to become a war of attrition. I understand the stated reasons the US doesn't want to supply Ukraine the M1 MBT. But if it takes the US supplying, say, one company of M1's (14 tanks, the same as the number of Challengers the UK agreed to send) to give Germany the cover it needs to allow a couple of hundred Leopards to be relased to Ukraine, that seems to be woth it.

Top Bottom
1 2