Russia-Ukraine

A fine idea,
@natynettle said:
Last night, Russia tested disconnecting itself from the global internet. On June 5, around 2-4am Moscow time, 🇷🇺 authorities tested the Sovereign Internet system which led to disruptions of various websites & government infrastructure services …
though it would make it harder for us to see what they are up to.

Except that the radiation won’t just hover there - it will blow over Europe, and there has been some muttering that this might be considered an attack on NATO that would trigger Article 5.

I’m sure at the very least you’d see a European military response. Maybe not a full NATO just to try to hold the US out of a direct conflict. But it would also affect Russia. And I don’t see a ZNPP catastrophe happening.

The reactors aren’t running though and I believe at leadt 5/6 reactors have been shut down for months therefore minimal cooling is required and many of the most immediately dangerous radioactive isotopes have decayed (ie Iodine-131). To release the radioactive materials, you’d need to breach the containment vessel + building which in the case of ZNPP has as much as 10 meters of reinforced concrete, which would not be easy break with any type of conventional weapon.

With the units in extended cold shutdown, very little heat is generated from radioactive decay (<1% the heat compared to being operational) and losing circulation would probably not cause a meltdown leading to explosion and at worst might take quite some time to happen. But it’s more likely there would just be serious/irreparable damage and very limited contamination.

Fukashima basically took 3 days for meltdowns to occur after loss of power/cooling, leading to hydrogen explosions and the containment building explosions. Of course this was with mitigation efforts, but also countered by failed backups and failed fail-safe systems incl. cooling. And this was with the reactors operational up until about 1hr before power/cooling was lost.

As for the spent fuel ponds losing cooling, I suppose this depends on the design, amount of waste, and age, etc, but for Fukashemia it would have taken weeks for the water to boil and boil off to level exposing spent fuel- at which point the spent fuel would likely combust spewing aerosolized radioactive waste (less immediately dangerous that that in a reactor).

In short- If Russia wanted to create a the biggest catastrophe as quickly as possible, they’d want all the reactors fully operational when the go to sabotage them.

What’s more, this plant is being monitored by the IAEA on the ground and remotely. If Russia was taking action to sabotage the plant for a slow melt down we’d have plenty of notice seeing it coming and they would be directly implicated.

The more likely scenario in my mind is that if Russian abandon the area, they will trash the other components of the power plant such as the turbines, generators, and transformers- rending the plant useless without creating an ecological disaster and international uproar. It would however likely take years to fix if that would even be financially worthwhile.

I don’t think Russia is stupid or crazy enough to use nukes, knowing it would surely involve an international military response and marring their reputation for eternity. Blowing up a nuclear plant would be just as bad, if not worse as dropping nukes.

1688744164287.png

Unfortunately this increases the chance that they would do it as damaging the reactor permanently would hurt Ukraine in the event of its liberation and they would do so without many of the risks discussed by us all above.

Last edited:
I don’t understand people getting all upset about cluster munitions, which both sides have been using in this war. Countries have banned cluster munitions because of their potential to harm civilians years after the conflict ends if not properly cleaned up, not because they are somehow inhumane against combatants.

I’m not sure you could even prosecute a country like Ukraine for war crimes for using cluster munitions when they are using them on what is their own territory.

The way I see it, cluster munitions are clearly very dangerous weapons that will have long term implications. Ukraine should be allowed to decide whether or not they want to deal with the risk to civilians and a very costly clean up process.

For anyone who thinks Vlad needs to be taken out, the Russian mob agrees. However,

the Russian Mafia has already tried to kill Putin on at least three separate occasions.
“Twice, they tried to take out his car in a motorcade with RPG grenades and missed,” the insider spilled. “Another attempt involved rigging an elevator Putin was due to enter but didn’t.”

it looks like they are about as competent as the Russian army.

“Twice, they tried to take out his car in a motorcade with RPG grenades and missed,”

Kind of embarrassing. Maybe the RPGs were sourced from Iran?

For anyone who thinks Vlad needs to be taken out, the Russian mob agrees. However,

it looks like they are about as competent as the Russian army.
Apparently they are sort of supporting the war (well up to the point, jailed mafiosos are taking advantage of the opportunity to “volunteer” for the army and then use their underworld connections to just leave and effectively go free)

NYT reports that Musk personally nixed Ukraine’s use of Starlink in occupied Crimea - not news already known but was is new is that apparently the Pentagon finally purchased and then modified terminals so that Musk cannot control their use.

1690731512919.png

Separately from the NYT, some Ukrainian forces are reporting their belief that the Russians have begun to use successful jamming of Starlink which if true would be extremely bad news as Ukraine rely on it heavily. It’s essentially the backbone of their secure military communications infrastructure.

Last edited:

Zelenskiy Warns 'War' Coming To Russia After Drone Attack Closes Moscow's Vnukovo Airport​

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has warned that it was "inevitable" that "war" would come to Russia after authorities there were forced to temporarily close a busy Moscow airport following an overnight drone attack on the capital.

"Gradually, the war is returning to the territory of Russia -- to its symbolic centers and military bases. And this is an inevitable, natural, and absolutely fair process," Zelenskiy said on July 30 during a visit to the city of Ivano-Frankivsk -- which, although in western Ukraine, has been hit by Russian missile fire in the past.

This is what overconfidence looks like.

Ukrainian resistance forces poisoned 17 Russian military officers at a celebration in … Mariupol … Ukrainian partisans used cyanide and pesticides during a Sunday Russian Navy Day event to poison the Russian military service members, killing two … The other 15 were admitted to the hospital in serious condition …

Bunch of Shakespeare fans, those Eastern Europeans are, with all of the poisons.

Maybe, but I dunno, it seems like a nice way to disrupt and sow paranoia among the targets that survive. Also quite simple to execute and less likely to be discovered than smuggling in a bomb. This is the sort of stuff I would expect from someone trying to disrupt an occupation when the gloves come off.

A bit different than that bourgeoise Polonium nonsense. ;)

He should've stuck to his guns.

Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin presumed dead after Russia plane crash​

Yup. Utkin (the neo-Nazi military head) supposedly dead too, complete decapitation - I guess the Russian military finally deNazified something? Reports are they shot it down, which makes sense since we know Russian air defenses can actually hit passenger planes.

Back