Russia-Ukraine

Let me rephrase it this way.
Putin’s gamble is based in part on his expectation that the West won’t do much
Yes. So now it is vital to show unity (and it has been achieved, kind of). Germany putting NS2 on hold was the missing block for that. Johnson response, on the other hand is ridiculous –as expected, considering he's there thanks to Russian money. Now, like I said earlier, we only know what we know, and I am not privy to how far they are willing to go or the negotiations regarding sanctions between the US and the EU (and the UK). Going "all in" with weak sanctions like Johnson's is a sure way to lose the pre-war stand-off, so if that's all the UK is willing to do, it's like bringing the proverbial knife to a gunfight. Seizing all the Russian-owned real estate, yachts, and so on would certainly send a more powerful message, but I wasn't expecting much from him anyway.

Last edited:
No, but the audience Mr Putin is playing to here is his domestic one, in Russia - for whom the merest figleaf of a nonsensical excuse should suffice - not "the west", let alone the rest of the world.

I could be wrong here, but given Russia's long history of crushing its own people, I would think that the general population is a lot more skeptical about what their government is feeding them. It's not like they are the most isolated country on earth. Do they honestly believe it or is it that they would rather just go about their day and try not to get poisoned?

I could be wrong here, but given Russia's long history of crushing its own people, I would think that the general population is a lot more skeptical about what their government is feeding them. It's not like they are the most isolated country on earth. Do they honestly believe it or is it that they would rather just go about their day and try not to get poisoned?
I heard some interviews with Russian citizens who live near Ukraine on the radio today. Most of them seemed to be against the invasion. That was pretty interesting to me. Something else I found interesting was that most of them seemed to accept as fact that Ukraine is doing something nefarious. The argument against getting involved was more “why should we get involved with Ukraine’s problems?” So the propaganda in Russia seems to have done the job of convincing people that Ukraine‘s leaders are doing bad things, but they haven’t convinced most of their people that Russia should do anything about it.

I highly recommend listening to this - it’s only 4 minutes.

Yes. So now it is vital to show unity (and it has been achieved, kind of). Germany putting NS2 on hold was the missing block for that. Johnson response, on the other hand is ridiculous –as expected, considering he's there thanks to Russian money. Now, like I said earlier, we only know what we know, and I am not privy to how far they are willing to go or the negotiations regarding sanctions between the US and the EU (and the UK). Going "all in" with weak sanctions like Johnson's is a sure way to lose the pre-war stand-off, so if that's all the UK is willing to do, it's like bringing the proverbial knife to a gunfight. Seizing all the Russian-owned real estate, yachts, and so on would certainly send a more powerful message, but I wasn't expecting much from him anyway.
When I see that Boris is still in charge, it reminds me of Trump in America. His party could get rid of him for about a million different reasons, but they simply refuse to. He is a buffoon who “fell up” his entire life, which started with a silver spoon in his mouth. Even the Downing Street parties which he repeatedly lied about haven’t led to his ouster! I’m not surprised that he offered worthless “sanctions” on Russia. It’s absolutely on brand for him… and Trump probably would have done the same if Biden hadn’t supplanted him.

“The main thing to know about Ukraine, for our purposes, is that its leader once sent millions of dollars to Joe Biden’s family,” Carlson told viewers, as he chalked the defense the U.S. is mounting of Ukraine up to Biden’s “personal debts to Ukrainian oligarchs.” Later on Tuesday, appearing on Laura Ingraham’s show, Carlson continued to reduce U.S. involvement in the Russia-Ukraine crisis to a “play against fossil fuels,” suggesting the Biden administration is “provoking conflict with the largest gas supplier in Europe” to boost renewable energy.

Yeah, no agenda there.

I made a joke elsewhere that Trump would probably find a way to make this all Hunter Biden's fault, but it seems Tucker Carlson is thinking along the same lines.

And of course we've gotta throw some blame at renewable energy as well.

Incredible.

I am reading about explosions in Kiev, can anyone confirm???!
CNN is reporting multiple of them, they're saying they hear a lot of outgoing fire from the Russian side as well but not sure where it's all going.

It's a shame. :(

Ok, not the best source but according to Senator Rubio, Russia is already taking over Kiev’s airport. This is going incredibly fast.

Ok, not the best source but according to Senator Rubio, Russia is already taking over Kiev’s airport. This is going incredibly fast.
I saw him on CNN earlier and he was pretty hawkish on this whole thing, when he's not bashing Biden and defending Trump he's not so bad and he does have an inside scoop since he's on the right committees.

I saw him on CNN earlier and he was pretty hawkish on this whole thing, when he's not bashing Biden and defending Trump he's not so bad and he does have an inside scoop since he's on the right committees.
If Russians are close to Kiev already it might mean that the Ukrainian army melted like butter.

1645678672492.png

If Putin wants to get rid of nazis, I know where he can find some (And it ain’t Ukraine)
Why would he possibly want to do that? It would make no sense. Nazis are useful, in the same way as measles: if they cause instability in those other countries, then those other coutries will be less able to confront me. B-QN5. Your move.

I'll wait until tomorrow for a more definitive reporting, but this kind of aggressive war is completely unacceptable. Putin is a menace. Europe has a rabid bear munching on the eastern borders. Oh and btw, the home grown USA HEAD SHIT HEAD says Putin is doing this because the 2020 US Presidential election was rigged <uncomfirmed>. :poop:

I'd be very interested to hear what will be said at the G7 meeting tomorrow and among the NATO member countries. A quick look at a map and it looks like Ukraine is mostly got NATO on its Western border. I would love to see all of the country's $$ frozen in the world markets. And I wonder what kind of popular support he is getting at home. There have been reports that the idea of invading Ukraine has not been very popular, but those are just reports.

Well, there it is.

Putin (Sorry, couldn't help it) the frights on Russia with sanctions was never going to be enough. In the UK Putin's chums own the parts of London the Saudi's don't… The City is a Mycelium of money laundering that has even managed to put a Russian Oligarch in the House of Lords. There is going to be no Kremlin palace revolt.

So we'll continue to wave our pieces of paper, smash our keyboards and cry, "How very dare he!?" Everyone will take to Twitter to froth with outrage, and yes, (as another poster here said) "At least Ukraine will have the West's thoughts and prayers".

He certainly bided (or is that Bidened) his time well. Putin will do as he pleases. After the Ukraine is back in the fold, where next?

Anyway, I believe that before I shuffle off this mortal coil — I am 58 — China will have invaded Taiwan. And the world will be at war.

But heh! In the meantime, foldable iPhones anyone?

Back