Russia-Ukraine

I think we should all be concerned what this means for the future of global politics. Russia certainly feels emboldened to attack Ukraine. You have to question if China will seize the opportunity of the west being distracted to take over Taiwan and further push their control over the South China Sea. Iran and nuclear weapons and regional influence, etc. This has the potential of becoming extremely messy situation, especially if the US and West can’t handle more than one crisis at once.
You might argue that NATO hems him in to the West. I can’t say this is any consolation, but if you want a hard trip wire, it will be if he starts this activity with a NATO member, not that that makes what he is doing to a sovereign nation just because he wants it, wants more territory to be acceptable. In the meantime, NATO imo should fast track new member memberships for those countries deemed worthy and say fuck him.

It’s being reported that Putin made an announcement that he is conducting a special military operation to “de-militarize“ Ukraine just because…he does not like having an armed country next to him, not under his influence, really? :unsure: So because this is not NATO, he thinks he has cart blanche to cause mayhem Because the NATO states won’t risk a major war over Ukraine.

From a strategic standpoint I would love to be privy to a couple of NATO meetings to see that the considerations were. My guess is illegal action without any reasonable justification vs the economic impact of a war with Russia, a nuclear armed State.

Russia is a menace. We can either bolt our shutters and hope he keeps looking the other way at the vulnerable countries that make up for former USSR, and allow him to absorb them. Ukraine seems to be quite a prize. If he actually stops in the “breakaway” provinces, I’m looking to see how NATO treats Ukraine- you’re on your own kid or meaningful assistance including NATO membership.

Yeah I know, that’s not going to happen, and as I understand it, now that Russia has drawn this line in the sand, they will easily say, if NATO Forces cross into Ukraine we consider this an act of war. Because to make Ukraine a NATO state, most likely NATO would have to assemble their own large force, because my guess is that the Russian forces if they don’t take Ukraine now, will remain in the vicinity. It’s also possible that now that they seem to be having their way with Ukraine militarily, they might actually make ovations to them to try to lure them back into the fold while they undermine Ukraine every way they can, including assassinations and placing their own pro-Russian stooges in key positions.

However, it you want to be scared, be scared of the nukes and if it comes to a point where someone under stress calculates a well placed nuke might help their cause where as it might spark a general nuclear exchange.

Last edited:
The US is self-sufficient re energy, and does not rely on Russia for energy; thus, rising oil & gas prices should not be an issue, unless corporate greed is what is driving such pice increases.

Higher gas prices in the US mentioned several times in the article. It would be nice if industry waited more than 5 minutes from the last time it happened to use a crisis as a smoke screen to cover their increased profit margins, but you know, 'Merica!

I wonder if our military contractors still attempt to display humanitarian outrage on why they now have to increase production or have they finally forgone that and gone straight to "Ha! Cha-ching!!" as they witness the destruction.

Oh shit, let’s hope they are careful.
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1496862540957114370/

The power plant and the surrounding facilities still employ several thousand people, and many of them commute by train from Ukraine to Ukraine via a transit through Belarus. The plant is not stable enough to be abandoned, so it stands to reason that the Russians have some kind of plan for keeping the operation running.

Remember that old curse “may you live in interesting times?” Well here we are. The real question is what will Europe do (with Russia knocking at their door), and will the US help?
Putin will only respond to force and from the sounds of it the world is afraid to push back, it's like we've all learned nothing from WWII. Where are our Republican hawks here? IMO if he makes one step toward any other nation you put him down like a rabid animal.

Putler.jpeg

Oh shit, let’s hope they are careful.
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1496862540957114370/

The power plant and the surrounding facilities still employ several thousand people, and many of them commute by train from Ukraine to Ukraine via a transit through Belarus. The plant is not stable enough to be abandoned, so it stands to reason that the Russians have some kind of plan for keeping the operation running.

Dear God.

I visited Chernobyl in early 2013.

And I observed a number of elections in Ukraine in 2019.

Last edited:
Italian news is reporting that Russian troops are occupying Kiev’s airport.
Are they specifying which one? I have seen reports about fighting at Gostomel airport, a special-use airport that is the home of the Antonov freight operation. It is more or less on the road from Belarus to Kiev.

The largest commercial airport serving Kiev is Boryspil on the other side of the city, and if they have reached that one it would indicate a more dramatic progress of the invasion.

Remember that old curse “may you live in interesting times?” Well here we are. The real question is what will Europe do (with Russia knocking at their door), and will the US help?
I believe NATO member states would be a trip wire to a war involving all of Europe. I mean that is what is supposed to happen and we’d better be there, although we have corrupting influences none other than The Head Shit and Faux News miscreants like Carlson. The fact that he can express such pro-Russian sentiments and not be immediately sacked is the reality. what Russia needs is a good revolution.

You know NATO was there for US when we made some terrible decisions. We’d better damn well be there for them. For you selfish types out there, it’s in our best interests.

Condemnation from his own people along with the rest of the world will help, just not sure how much.

Putin will only respond to force and from the sounds of it the world is afraid to push back, it's like we've all learned nothing from WWII. Where are our Republican hawks here? IMO if he makes one step toward any other nation you put him down like a rabid animal.
An analogy, in your neighborhood a group of thugs invade your neighbors house, taking them hostage, abusing and raping them while daring you to do anything about it. And you respond by locking the doors and yelling at them to go away. You’ve got your shotgun ready if they try to break down your doors. :unsure:

Condemnation from his own people along with the rest of the world will help, just not sure how much.

They maybe putting themselves in jeopardy, but you don’t change anything without some kind of counter action.

I see more toothless sanctions incoming…

From the FT:
World leaders divided on whether to eject Russia from Swift payment system
"Boris Johnson, UK prime minister, is pushing “very hard” for Russia to be ejected from the Swift international payments system, a move that would deliver a heavy blow to the country’s banks and its ability to trade beyond its borders.

However, Olaf Scholz, German chancellor, warned Johnson on Thursday that his country would not support such a dramatic move and neither would the EU, according to officials close to sanctions negotiations. A German official declined to comment, saying only that “all options are still on the table”.

In a moment of weakness, I checked out the Breitbart comments section. So you guys know, this is all Biden’s and the Democrats fault. If Trump were still in office, Putin wouldn’t have dared. Pass it on.

This will have Putin quaking in his boots… not!

From the G7:
"We condemn President Putin for his consistent refusal to engage in a diplomatic process to address questions pertaining to European security, despite our repeated offers.

We stand united with partners, including NATO, the EU and their member states as well as Ukraine and remain determined to do what is necessary to preserve the integrity of the rules-based international order.*"

*Except where it affects our own bottomline.

Back