Russia-Ukraine

He's already done it, complementing Putin for his genius move.

...it didn't make any difference. Most of them either agreed with him, or said he was being sarcastic, and the fake news media was putting words in his mouth.

Voters who have their heads firmly lodged up Trump’s ass will probably always remain that way, but as hard as it is to believe, there are still “free thinking” voters watching things play out before they decide to cast their vote in Biden vs Trump. Trump’s praise for Putin’s current actions might be a bridge too far for them. There’s a perception difference when Trump was praising Putin when nothing of consequence was going on.

NATO just confirmed not a single solider will enter Ukraine. In other words, Putin will own Ukraine within a few days.
That will be the easy part but full on occupation and takeover will be a problem with a people who do not want you there, Russia (as the US) never learned that lesson from Afghanistan and it's never ended well for either. It's like none of us learn anything from history.

That will be the easy part but full on occupation and takeover will be a problem with a people who do not want you there, Russia (as the US) never learned that lesson from Afghanistan and it's never ended well for either. It's like none of us learn anything from history.
Are the Ukrainians that hearty or the terrain there so daunting as in Afghanistan? Honest question because I don’t know.

Tell this to Belarus. Putin has the Soviet machinery and armamentarium to maintain power in occupied former Soviet territories.

A lot of people are running around quoting this article about Trump being right.

...it may be one of the few times he actually was.

Are the Ukrainians that hearty or the terrain there so daunting as in Afghanistan? Honest question because I don’t know.

The country - Ukraine - is largely flat (whereas the northern part of Afghanistan is extremely mountainous), so, no, not "so daunting" - with very fertile soil, ("the bread basket of Europe"), the 'black earth' of Ukraine fed much of Russia in the old, Soviet days, an agreeable climate, a very well educated (and quite prosperous) population - this is Europe, after all - and Kyiv, the capital, is a large, comfortable, very pleasant, cosmopolitan city.

"Hearty"? No, not in that (Afghan) sense.

However, I would expect Russia not to be able to hold the west of the country if they are foolish enough to extend their invasion that far.

There is no way - ever - Russian rule would be accepted - not politically - in west Ukraine; the situation would be akin to Poland or Lithuania or Estonia - Russian rule would be faced with eternal utter loathing, and cold contempt.

Last edited:
A lot of people are running around quoting this article about Trump being right.

...it may be one of the few times he actually was.

I’d say that Romney was right.

F04C63FD-8B20-46A7-B0EA-B4141E6DD157.jpeg

So it has been confirmed that Russian troops have taken the Chernobyl nuclear plant…

How about a little *cough* accident *cough* ?
Putin can blame the Ukrainians as the radioactive winds spread over Europe.
"Oops! So sorry. Thoughts and prayers!"

Europe would be fucked.

I was a little kid living about 600 miles away from Chernobyl in 1986. We all had mandatory special injections. I am still alive and *touches wood* cancer free. Can anything further be done there to replicate the events of 1986, or worse? Genuine question, since I have no idea.
It is under a huge concrete shell (IIRC)… I am quite sure it could be cracked and the genie is out of the bottle.

And with a continent (globe) already panicked by Covid I'd say chances are high we'd be pretty spooked.

Really bizarre watching the Trump wing of the GOP parroting Russian propaganda and talking points. Its the usual suspects, but to hear it, see it on Fox and see the tweets that say essentially we shouldn't worry about Ukraine, but only the southern border....

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1496606277019090948/

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1496593117021147148/

And to top it off, the usual nimrod talking heads who make their money pushing BS are trying to equate what's happening in Ukraine to this so-called "crisis" at the southern border.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1496901035994013703/

I need a vacation from politics. It's too polarizing. Some of the debate I can get. Pro-life, pro-choice.. I'm clearly pro-choice, but I can at least understand why someone is pro-life. Tax debates, spending bills... all that stuff is negotiable and debatable. But stuff that has been going on the last decade or so, especially with Trump, has laid bare just how vast the differences are between many of us.

This used to be a moment where everyone would come together and condemn Putin. Same with covid - I'd imagine in most other times, the amount of anti-vaccine dumb-dumbs would have been much fewer.

If we face a real crisis, we're in deep shit.

Back