Russia-Ukraine

Ukrainian soldier inspecting an abandoned Russian armor (to make it clear, this is not a destroyed machine, it’s how it is)

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1497516099017101315/

Rough translation, sans expletives (the guy is funny as hell btw) : “so guys, it turns out the Russian shit is even worse then ours… have a look inside and weep… seconds strongest army in the world, morherfuckers… let’s look here in the tower… only partial payload… that there is fucked… no equipment… radio some old crap… what a pathetic peace of shit”

So I saw some sunflower emojis regarding Ukraine on social media. I had no idea what they mean, so I googled them

It turns out they stem from this video. The sunflower is Ukraine's national flower, and the lady in the video is telling the Russian soldier to put sunflower seeds in his pocket, so that when they kill him, at least some flowers will grow from his body.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1496866811110834176/

That's one of the most badass things I've heard. The babushkas there are metal.

Ukrainian soldier inspecting an abandoned Russian armor (to make it clear, this is not a destroyed machine, it’s how it is)

Rough translation, sans expletives (the guy is funny as hell btw) : “so guys, it turns out the Russian shit is even worse then ours… have a look inside and weep… seconds strongest army in the world, morherfuckers… let’s look here in the tower… only partial payload… that there is fucked… no equipment… radio some old crap… what a pathetic peace of shit”
I read an article that explained how, while Russia has way more tanks than Ukraine, many of Ukraine's tanks are actually similar but better and newer than the Russian ones, because the Soviet tank factory that had been set up to manufacture the newer versions was in Ukraine (just like how Ukraine got to keep the Antonov factory, including the large cargo carriers).

Kyiv is holding! The heroic lads and ladies of Ukrainian army are doing Gods work.
So far, it seems Ukraine is still holding out much better than Putin thought it would, and with Biden's order a few hours ago to give them hundreds of millions in military aid (which I've seen referred to as "the good stuff" that would not be destined for export normally) and a solid supply line from Poland, this could go on for a while. This must be what Marco Rubio meant yesterday when he tweeted "Tonight and for weeks to come Ukraine has some surprise welcome gifts for their uninvited guests".

What worries me is that Putin's best (and only?) pathway to winning the war was a successful Blitzkrieg (Crimea was theirs pretty much before lunchtime) and that seems to be unlikely now, because even if they "take" Kyiv, the insurgence could last much longer if the morale to fight remains. This could make him say in for a penny, in for a pound and decide to use increasingly larger and more brutal bombs.

Last edited:
I read an article recently, about how, while Russia has way more tanks than Ukraine, many of Ukraine's tanks are actually similar but better and newer than the Russian ones, because the Soviet tank factory that had been set up to manufacture the newer versions was in Ukraine (just like how Ukraine got to keep the Antonov factory, including the large cargo carriers).

God's work indeed. So far, it seems Ukraine is still holding out much better than Putin thought it would, and with Biden's order a few hours ago to give them hundreds of millions in military aid (which I've seen it referred to as "the good stuff" that would not be destined for export normally) and a solid supply line from Poland, this could go on for a while. This must be what Marco Rubio meant yesterday when he tweeted "Tonight and for weeks to come Ukraine has some surprise welcome gifts for their uninvited guests".

What worries me is that Putin's best (and only?) pathway to winning the war was a successful Blitzkrieg (Crimea was theirs pretty much before lunchtime) and that seems to be unlikely now, because even if they "take" Kyiv, the insurgence could last much longer if the morale to fight remains. This could make him say in for a penny, in for a pound and decide to use increasingly larger and more brutal bombs.
Apparently he is already there. Putin is sending in the flame throwers… thermobaric missiles.

He's not going to stop. Until he is stopped.

So I saw some sunflower emojis regarding Ukraine on social media. I had no idea what they mean, so I googled them

It turns out they stem from this video. The sunflower is Ukraine's national flower, and the lady in the video is telling the Russian soldier to put sunflower seeds in his pocket, so that when they kill him, at least some flowers will grow from his body.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1496866811110834176/

That's one of the most badass things I've heard. The babushkas there are metal.
These words may be louder than guns. Every one of these pounds in the heads of the invaders that they are the baddies.
The Expanse had one line that matches up: Live shamed and die empty!!!

God's work indeed. So far, it seems Ukraine is still holding out much better than Putin thought it would, and with Biden's order a few hours ago to give them hundreds of millions in military aid (which I've seen it referred to as "the good stuff" that would not be destined for export normally) and a solid supply line from Poland, this could go on for a while. This must be what Marco Rubio meant yesterday when he tweeted "Tonight and for weeks to come Ukraine has some surprise welcome gifts for their uninvited guests".
Good, good, good.

Yup, this is what I was saying before the invasion. The more the enemy and the world is prepared, the less likely Blitzkrieg succeeds. It also requires a motivated and rested army. German soldiers started up with a steady supply of amphetamine and advanced without sleep for many days. This is day #3 for Russians. Very few major breakthroughs. This already reflects really poorly on the russian army.

It's only a matter of days for Putin to start indiscriminate bombardment.

That looks like that found it in a Chernobyl vehicle grave yard it’s so old [emoji15]. I would imagine a lot of their tanks and other vehicles are from the 1980’s.

So to be clear who is putin's biggest bitch in Europe

1645879766346.png

I am not surprised that the Ukrainian army doesn’t make it smooth sailing for the Russian troops. Ukraine has one of the biggest forces in Europe if I remember that correctly.

However labelling killing one another god’s work makes me wonder what god you folks are referring to. Certainly not one in the Christian faith.

Either way, any day that Putin doesn’t succeed is a win.

However labelling killing one another god’s work makes me wonder what god you folks are referring to. Certainly not one in the Christian faith.
Are you referring to the eye-for-an-eye dude? Old Testament is totally down with that.

These people are literally defending their homes. I'm fine with the verbiage and I'm a pacifist.

Are you referring to the eye-for-an-eye dude? Old Testament is totally down with that.

These people are literally defending their homes. I'm fine with the verbiage and I'm a pacifist.

Yes, the shall not kill guy-cult. And Christianity by definition leans heavily on the story of the guy on the cross. The turn the other cheek guy.

I’m fine with self defence but leave religion out of it, that’s just silly.

Yes, the shall not kill guy-cult. And Christianity by definition leans heavily on the story of the guy on the cross. The turn the other cheek guy.

Oh, you're referring to the New Testament guy. Yeah, I like him more. Your point is well taken though.

Amen to that!

I understand emotions run high, but let's leave the fictional deities out of this.
Sticking to facts is far more helpful.

Besides, which Orthodox god are we gunning for here? The Russian one or the Ukrainian one? Because last time I looked it's the same fairy story.

I find it as distasteful when sports men/women do the prayer thanks when they win. Seriously? Go pray in private.

And yes, I am a fucking card carrying Atheist.

This US Army Blackhawk apparently went all the way to Medyka just inside Poland's border with Ukraine without shutting off their civilian transponder as they got closer. They have been hanging out around there ever since the invasion started and I don't think they are doing anything particularly interesting, but they have usually shut off the civilian transponder long before getting this close to the border. I wonder if this means they are now less worried about Russian interference this far to the west, compared to yesterday.

Capture.PNG

Although I will admit that following this war on flightradar24 is a bit like reading tea leaves.

This US Army Blackhawk apparently went all the way to Medyka just inside Poland's border with Ukraine without shutting off their civilian transponder as they got closer. They have been hanging out around there ever since the invasion started and I don't think they are doing anything particularly interesting, but they have usually shut off the civilian transponder long before getting this close to the border. I wonder if this means they are now less worried about Russian interference this far to the west, compared to yesterday.

View attachment 11996

Although I will admit that following this war on flightradar24 is a bit like reading tea leaves.
It's still amazing, though, that now anyone with the internet has unlimited access to maps and information better than what any world leader had until recently, sometimes in close to real time. I've seen the maps they used in WW2 in museums and they were terribly inaccurate in comparison.

We are all going to die one day. But some of us can choose how to die. Some choose to die bearing arms into a peaceful country, being an instrument of destruction to their freedom, identity and culture. And some choose to die defending their culture, values and freedom.

What is happening in Ukraine - and Russia - right now is terrible. All the killing is terrible. But there us no justice on the side of the invaders. No conflict out of mutual interest. This is naked, purely evil, unprovoked one-sided aggression, based on ambitions of a single man and his friends. I do not condone killing, and I feel truly sorry for all the Russian kids that were pulled into this unjust conflict and given these criminal orders. But as long as Ukrainians are doing what they must to defend their rights - even if it means killing these boys - they are doing Gods work in my book. And as long as it means that the Russian Neofascist empire is closer to failure, I will celebrate every single downed Russian military plane and every single burned Russian armor.

P.S. Just in case there is any confusion, I am an atheist and “Gods work” is a colloquial expression. No need to bring your faith into it.

Last edited:
It's still amazing, though, that now anyone with the internet has unlimited access to maps and information better than what any world leader had until recently, sometimes in close to real time. I've seen the maps they used in WW2 in museums and they were terribly inaccurate in comparison.
There are still lots of things they are not showing us. But I think the most interesting thing I have seen so far is the pattern of which countries apparently don't want their airspace used for these missions. For some reason the air refueling missions from Ramstein all make this detour around Czechia even though it is a NATO member.
Capture.PNG

And they refused to remove him from office for blackmailing the Ukrainian president by withholding defensive weapons in exchange for dirt on Hunter Biden. That was never a good look, but especially now...
Oh yeah, Ukraine was definitely touched by the former President‘s poison.

I feel like you skipped the Old Testament entirely. Anyway, let’s keep the Jebus loving out of this tragedy.

I did not. I referred straight to the probably most important of the 10 commandments. But to take your suggestion one step further let’s keep all involved talking about religion out of it. It has no place here. Neighbours shouldn’t kill one another. Full stop.

Back