Russia-Ukraine

Just saw an article proclaiming that gas prices in the Bay Area will rise to $6 a gallon if Russia invades Ukraine.

Yes, I’m sure gas companies will love a new excuse to raise prices… 🙄

Just saw an article proclaiming that gas prices in the Bay Area will rise to $6 a gallon if Russia invades Ukraine.

Yes, I’m sure gas companies will love a new excuse to raise prices… [emoji849]

Wait, there are vehicles with internal combustion engines left in the Bay Area? [emoji41]

Meanwhile in Yemen....

But hey, we're talking white people here. SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Yah the advantage of a proxy war is that someone else gets to be called genocidal.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/18/europe/ukraine-russia-news-friday-rebel-evacuations-intl/index.html

I thought this wasn’t a civil war. I guess the “separatists” shelling, and being shelled, must all be Russian crisis actors. I applaud the scale of this production.

Quick question. Which acting troop are the Kurds in Iraq a part of? They’re pretty good too.

The situation of the Kurds is different though. The Kurdish in adjoining states are kept stateless by intent of those other states, regardless of whether that intent gets expressed in cooperative ventures, which is not necessarily or even usually the case.

In Ukraine, however, Russia wants to reclaim the 'separatist' turf in eastern Ukraine, as well as accommodate the Russophiles who live there. It's true that in the conflict in Ukraine in 2014, the Rostov area of Russia saw an influx of refugees from the Ukraine border area. But this time around the Russians have actually prepared that area for immigration and are now urging civilians to evacuate the Donbas area of Ukraine before 'bad things happen'.

Of course Putin also proposes that the 'bad things' will be the doing of Western supporters of Ukraine... even though it was Russian-backed separatists and not the West that shelled a kindergarten and a number of other facilities in eastern Ukraine per numerous reports from the OSCE in recent days. Putin's dodge on that is another example of slice-and-dice proxy wars. Sometimes he embraces the separatists, other times it's more convenient to say hey that wasn't us...

Germany has finally explicitly put the cancellation of Nord Stream 2 out there.

“We in Germany are prepared to pay a high price economically. That’s why everything is on the table — also Nord Stream 2,” the minister, Annalena Baerbock, told the Munich Security Conference, the high-profile annual trans-Atlantic security gathering that is taking place from Friday to Sunday.

Germany has finally explicitly put the cancellation of Nord Stream 2 out there.

Maybe the Russians should say their border area drills are over now, and use less CGI and more troop withdrawals to prove it.

Seriously if you look at a map of Russia why don't they put more energy into reclaiming and improving the value of their heartland, and bumping its usefulness for manufacture and agriculture instead of just sitting around wondering how their world class hackers are doing today and if they've hacked anything on spec that actually belongs to Putin and his cronies.

Yah the advantage of a proxy war is that someone else gets to be called genocidal.

The situation of the Kurds is different though. The Kurdish in adjoining states are kept stateless by intent of those other states, regardless of whether that intent gets expressed in cooperative ventures, which is not necessarily or even usually the case.

In Ukraine, however, Russia wants to reclaim the 'separatist' turf in eastern Ukraine, as well as accommodate the Russophiles who live there. It's true that in the conflict in Ukraine in 2014, the Rostov area of Russia saw an influx of refugees from the Ukraine border area. But this time around the Russians have actually prepared that area for immigration and are now urging civilians to evacuate the Donbas area of Ukraine before 'bad things happen'.

Of course Putin also proposes that the 'bad things' will be the doing of Western supporters of Ukraine... even though it was Russian-backed separatists and not the West that shelled a kindergarten and a number of other facilities in eastern Ukraine per numerous reports from the OSCE in recent days. Putin's dodge on that is another example of slice-and-dice proxy wars. Sometimes he embraces the separatists, other times it's more convenient to say hey that wasn't us...

The majority of the population in any conflict zone probably just wants to be left the fuck alone. I just find it odd that right now in the US there are plenty of people who long for a Putin-like authoritarian government under Trump, and have said as much, and yet we are supposed to believe that no other sizable group of people on earth has that same mentality.

If Texas decided to secede from the US to become The Unite States of Trump probably nobody would be surprised. Would everybody in the former state of Texas be happy about it? No, but we’d assume a majority was cool with it. We wouldn’t assume the majority of the population is being held hostage and kept silent through a propaganda machine.

The majority of the population in any conflict zone probably just wants to be left the fuck alone. I just find it odd that right now in the US there are plenty of people who long for a Putin-like authoritarian government under Trump, and have said as much, and yet we are supposed to believe that no other sizable group of people on earth has that same mentality.

If Texas decided to secede from the US to become The Unite States of Trump probably nobody would be surprised. Would everybody in the former state of Texas be happy about it? No, but we’d assume a majority was cool with it. We wouldn’t assume the majority of the population is being held hostage and kept silent through a propaganda machine.
If this is a "civil war," why does Russia need 190,000 troops on the border with Ukraine?

Sorry, the narrative that the Ukraine situation is a “civil war" doesn’t hold up to even the slightest scrutiny.

If this is a "civil war," why does Russia need 190,000 troops on the border with Ukraine?

Sorry, the narrative that the Ukraine situation is a “civil war" doesn’t hold up to even the slightest scrutiny.

Afghanistan. Let me know if you need help finding evidence of the US and Russia being involved in their civil wars. We can then branch out to other Middle Eastern countries from there if you want but we shouldn't need to.

Afghanistan. Let me know if you need help finding evidence of the US and Russia being involved in their civil wars. We can then branch out to other Middle Eastern countries from there if you want but we shouldn't need to.
You are very married to this civil war narrative regarding Ukraine. It’s Russian propaganda. Luckily, most people are NOT buying Putin’s lies.

You are very married to this civil war narrative regarding Ukraine. It’s Russian propaganda. Luckily, most people are NOT buying Putin’s lies.

I'm not buying Putin's lies, but I'm also not buying that everybody in Ukraine is pro-unification in favor of the west.

I'm not buying Putin's lies, but I'm also not buying that everybody in Ukraine is pro-unification in favor of the west.
If you’re calling it a civil war, you are believing propaganda. There were Nazi sympathizers in France and other Allied countries during WWII, but nobody tried to label that a civil war as far as I know. Although with today’s history teaching rules, the teachers might have to present that possible view of WWII now.

FYI - The “civil war” nonsense was Russia’s excuse for taking Crimea too. Not sure how anybody is still buying this.

If you’re calling it a civil war, you are believing propaganda. There were Nazi sympathizers in France and other Allied countries during WWII, but nobody tried to label that a civil war as far as I know. Although with today’s history teaching rules, the teachers might have to present that possible view of WWII now.

Are you saying that there isn't a tense regional split in Ukraine right now (and has been for years)?

Are you saying that there isn't a tense regional split in Ukraine right now (and has been for years)?
Yes. This is manufactured by the Russians because they want to annex Ukraine. They’ve been peddling this narrative for almost a decade now to excuse their invasion of a sovereign Ukraine.

Back