Tablet to replace second laptop?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another thought. I don’t have a single pad of paper for notes. I grab the iPad and Pencil and use Notability or one of the many other note-taking apps I have.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Welcome Meatbag!

Right, so, like other folks have said, it's very use case dependent.

I'm a developer, so as you might imagine, we've got quite a few devices around the homestead, and I've dealt with various usage models with clients, for computers (via web applications) and iPad/mobile devices (by way of native apps).

I'll also say the new M1 based machines have kind of refactored expectations, now there's a product that's extremely performant, size and price competitive with an iPad Pro, and provides a complete "computer experience" vs. an iOS based tablet.

So I've got a couple of vertical enterprise apps (as in not distributed through Apple channels), and the tablet form factor is fantastic for the specific app - this is in medical and another in investigative services - they benefit from a device that has a very good, integrated, rear facing camera, and most of the UI is driven by tablet friendly controls, and during "tablet mode" operation, these users don't need to do much text entry.

However, these users can take the same device, "dock" it, and have a reasonably full featured solution for more substantial text editing, etc., parts of their workflow that are improved with a physical KB.

Anyway, all that being said, I'd say for us, even for a machine that would mostly be for office type chores (web, email, light document generation via Google Docs), there's still a few things missing:

1) iPadOS needs accounts, as a device that would also be shared, we need a mechanism to isolate my files, her messages, the little G's photos/drawings/music.

2) iPadOS needs native resolution external displays. I love the setup of a Magic KB/TP + monitor, but need the proper ratio, __and__ the external as a second display (not just a 4:3 mirroring of the built-in)

3) I actually wouldn't need - as this comes up a lot - full "filesystem" access, the Files app, cloud services, the ability to connect to network resources solves all that. However, there needs to be a little more of a shared/unified storage model, so that files that move between a common set of apps / workflows, would be in the same place.

Uh, duh, I got a little rambly there, so let's see ...

A physical keyboard is orders-of-magnitude better, plus you retain the entire display for data/input/controls. iPad is fantastic for some use cases, fo example, am iPad + Pencil is a spectacular tool for art. If you need more "general" computing, or certainly any very specific computer only tasks (ex: running XCode), or want to concurrently juggle several apps, that's a Mac/MacOS.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
1) iPadOS needs accounts, as a device that would also be shared, we need a mechanism to isolate my files, her messages, the little G's photos/drawings/music.
This is a very Microsoft move on Apple’s part. Why should they make it easy for you to allow people to share a single device when you can buy devices for each user? And honestly, the way the iPad prices have come down, it’s actually possible.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I prefer a mechanical keyboard, or one of the really old Apple keyboards, G4-G5 era. Reduced key travel makes for strained fingers and wrists if you do a lot of typing. Chiclet types especially force you to fully depress the key, without much in the way of smooth motion.
Haha you call the G4-G5 keyboards ”really old” - I guess I am beyond ancient then! Many people still swear by the Apple Extended Keyboard II - and still hoard ADB-to-USB connectors to keep using them:

I have a keyboard that came with a G3 iMac (tangerine) which I use regularly and is pretty nice. Somebody was getting rid of it and I took it off their hands.

U

User.45

Haha you call the G4-G5 keyboards ”really old” - I guess I am beyond ancient then! Many people still swear by the Apple Extended Keyboard II - and still hoard ADB-to-USB connectors to keep using them:

I have a keyboard that came with a G3 iMac (tangerine) which I use regularly and is pretty nice. Somebody was getting rid of it and I took it off their hands.
There's also a partner/loudness factor. I love to work very late at night and my wife would complain about my typing on the mechanical keyboard in the other room.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Are you the kind who types like a pianist? A friend of mine is like that... He is a former concert pianist and types like he was playing some staccato piece in fortissimo.

I like the all-or-none response of the new MBA chiclet keys. It's actually a lot of fun to type papers on this, or clinical notes.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter (my mother's) and she bought me a lovely, small, portable type-writer as a gift when I was a student.

When typing with a manual type-writer, you hit the keys (rather than simply stroking them, or tapping them).

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Another thought. I don’t have a single pad of paper for notes. I grab the iPad and Pencil and use Notability or one of the many other note-taking apps I have.

Ah.

I always use real paper - I love the physical feel of writing - to take notes.

Real paper, or note-books, or post-its, or small pads; all are used, and all are invaluable.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Using an iPad or iPhone app for editing snapshots taken with the iPhone or iPad is probably fine, but for editing images shot with a camera that has a large sensor, such as my 61-megapixel A7R IV, no thanks! I much prefer using appropriate software programs and a larger screen for processing and editing those images. I do like sharing the final, edited results in galleries on my iPads and iPhones, though (right now I'm way behind in that project of selecting some of my favorites and getting them into that gallery).

Like SS, I tend to use real paper for notes and have note pads and pens all over the place, near my computers, in the kitchen, anywhere I might suddenly need to make a note about something.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure if the iPad Mini is a consideration for you. I've found typing on the Mini especially in portrait is quite easy and natural feeling similar to a phone. I'm usually back and forth between my M1 MBA and the iPad Mini when I'm home. For me the size of the Mini is a perfect balance between portability and usability because I do take it with me away from home a lot. But maybe you would want something bigger. Just throwing this out there!

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
A physical keyboard is orders-of-magnitude better, plus you retain the entire display for data/input/controls.
The screen space, yeah, that is a pretty huge issue, though you could use the tiny-swipe floating keyboard, which kind of works pretty well (I only use it rarely). One big advantage to the iPad keyboard is the pårt whère yøü type acçeńted characters: on the onscreen keyboard, you can get them by holding the key, instead of having to remember which option sequence is which. But the iPad screen keyboard is not nearly as good at collecting crumbs, hairs and general dirt.

I always use real paper - I love the physical feel of writing - to take notes.

Real paper, or note-books, or post-its, or small pads; all are used, and all are invaluable.
That stuff has better battery life

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This is a very Microsoft move on Apple’s part. Why should they make it easy for you to allow people to share a single device when you can buy devices for each user? And honestly, the way the iPad prices have come down, it’s actually possible.

I really wonder if that's a bit of a gamble though, you know, buying more than one vs. not buying one at all[?] Needing shared machines is pretty important in education, various Federal/.gov applications like law enforcement, private sector for logistics, etc., and there's a number of use cases where having discrete account info, is very handy (or even part of specific security protocol).

There's also a partner/loudness factor. I love to work very late at night and my wife would complain about my typing on the mechanical keyboard in the other room.

:D

1612646898689.png

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Are you the kind who types like a pianist? A friend of mine is like that... He is a former concert pianist and types like he was playing some staccato piece in fortissimo.

I like the all-or-none response of the new MBA chiclet keys. It's actually a lot of fun to type papers on this, or clinical notes.

Probably.... I know I can't type particularly fast with the chiclet keys, and I prefer not depressing keys fully. If I type quickly on one of those, it makes my fingers tired, and I type quite a lot. Doing that on an MBA would be tiresome.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I really wonder if that's a bit of a gamble though, you know, buying more than one vs. not buying one at all[?] Needing shared machines is pretty important in education, various Federal/.gov applications like law enforcement, private sector for logistics, etc., and there's a number of use cases where having discrete account info, is very handy (or even part of specific security protocol).
They've actually got a few wonderful device management programs so that multiple students can use the same devices during a school day. Not sure why they don't have a home version.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Any model you particularly like?

I'm using a Das Keyboard 4 Pro (for Mac, so proper keycaps/mappings for MacOS ...). It's pretty fantastic, built incredibly solid (aluminum top plate, heavy, nice rubber prop that doubles as a ruler), choice of brown or blue Cherry MX switches, slick media control dial, USB 3 hub (I use an external BT module to bypass the janky internal BT on my Mini).

If it was backlit it would be 10/10 vs. 9.5/10 :)

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm using a Das Keyboard 4 Pro (for Mac, so proper keycaps/mappings for MacOS ...). It's pretty fantastic, built incredibly solid (aluminum top plate, heavy, nice rubber prop that doubles as a ruler), choice of brown or blue Cherry MX switches, slick media control dial, USB 3 hub (I use an external BT module to bypass the janky internal BT on my Mini).

If it was backlit it would be 10/10 vs. 9.5/10 :)

I considered one of those some time ago. One of my former colleagues seemed to like it. I noticed that Reddit calls them overpriced. I'm using an ancient Apple keyboard at the moment, because I liked the old ones. It's definitely past its prime though.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I considered one of those some time ago. One of my former colleagues seemed to like it. I noticed that Reddit calls them overpriced. I'm using an ancient Apple keyboard at the moment, because I liked the old ones. It's definitely past its prime though.

I don't think it's really "overpriced", obv. that's pretty subjective. Sure, it's more expensive than some other keyboards, but you have to factor in the build quality, etc., (see above) and the fact it's Mac specific (and I very specifically wanted a black keyboard, a few of other Mac mechanicals don't offer a solid black). Also, I'd suspect their PeeCee KBs seem overpriced since there's way more products available in that market, so more price competition, I mean, I picked up the little G a mechanical PC keyboard, it's got mulit-color LED, programmable, really nice, it was like $60 :)

I got it for 15% off, so it was about $150 or so, that was (after some quick research), ~3 years ago from this month, so I've gotten my "value" out of it (especially since I'm on a KB 10+ hours a day ...), and it's still going strong. :D

U

User.45

:D

View attachment 3348
Ahhahahaha. That implies that I am gonna be the one getting up for the kids when they wake up at night.
I rather comply and be quiet. In exchange paternal night call is bestowed upon me only when my wife is doing nights (which was the baseline setup with the first kid).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, forgot you had tiny people :D

Funny enough, I got those headphones for the wife AND the daughter, so now they can both ignore me, and have an, umm, reasonable excuse ... :ROFLMAO:

"I was calling you to check on the homework status ..."

"Well, I can't hear you, I'm wearing my headphones ... you know, because they're like noise cancelling, and you're going CLICKY CLICKY CLICKY ..."

Top Bottom
1 2