The 2022 Midterms

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Boebert currently only 551 ahead. Does this mean a recount? I'm not familiar with Colorado election laws.

ETA: Nevermind my recount question.
Just found this.

That would trigger a recount, yes. It would be highly unlikely for the recount to change the outcome, though.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Boebert currently only 551 ahead. Does this mean a recount? I'm not familiar with Colorado election laws.

Yep. In Colorado, automatic recount is triggered if margin is within 0.5% of the winner's vote total.

Or a recount can be requested. A permissible requestor is defined at length in the law. Requestor pays unless the outcome of the vote is affected after the recount, or if the recount produces results that would have triggered an automatic recount,

It's a statewide recount, i.e. not possible to request a partial one.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
No. The Republicans passed laws that they can't be given food and water by candidates or national/state committees. No one is preventing the local election boards from providing water or food.

I don't want to nitpick this thing to death. Especially when the original post I quoted began with "Not sure if there is actual evidence..."

My main point is when it's largely democratic voters with long lines, they don't care, or actively try to make it more annoying to wait in line. An attitude that doesn't seem to be present when it's republicans unable to vote.

It's just a general observation. I'm "not sure if there is actual evidence" to back up my claims. 🤷🏼‍♂️

lizkat

Reaction score
Looks like Bobo will win unless there is some major screwup found (double counting, under counts, etc). Frisch will concede graciously after the recount.

Yeah and not least because fully half her district wanted Frisch or at least wanted "not her" -- and that district was rated R+7 --so it ain't that no mo'-- and there's a good start for Ds towards 2024. She made a purple district out of the place. Nice going. Colorado turning bluer every time out the box.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah and not least because fully half her district wanted Frisch or at least wanted "not her" -- and that district was rated R+7 --so it ain't that no mo'-- and there's a good start for Ds towards 2024. She made a purple district out of the place. Nice going. Colorado turning bluer every time out the box.
Yep!! He stays active and hovers around for another shot. He'll likely succeed as I can't see Bobo doing anything to sway votes her way in two years.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

From the article you quoted:

The bill also states that poll workers can make available "self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote." But nothing in the law requires poll workers to make water easily available to voters while they are waiting in line.

Aren't you the one who always accuses me of not reading past the first paragraph of links I post. ;)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Frisch has conceded.

Yeah, that kind of surprised me. He is only 550 votes behind out of 327K.

Then he threw shade at DC Democrats about ignoring rural and working class voters. Maybe he wouldn't have been too bad in Congress.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
From the article you quoted:

Aren't you the one who always accuses me of not reading past the first paragraph of links I post. ;)
No.

YOU didn’t read MY post, in which I already said that!

It says person, not candidate or committee. The only exception is poll workers providing self-service water from an unattended receptacle. But it doesn’t require poll workers to provide a water receptacle. So it should not be misconstrued as “there will be water there.” Food is not allowed to be given by poll workers.

Your statement is still false in many ways. I pointed them all out, in detail, and you come back with one-liners, accusing me of not reading them, when, IF YOU ACTUALLY READ MY POST, you can see not only did I read them, but I posted the same information myself!

Accusing me of the exact thing you JUST DID?

I will say it again, the pattern is clear. No attempt is being made at an honest discussion. Disinformation is posted, and when it’s debunked, the reply is false accusations, spewed out without even reading the fact check, or even the other poster’s brief summary of the fact check.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
No.

YOU didn’t read MY post, in which I already said that!

Your statement is still false in many ways. I pointed them all out, in detail, and you come back with one-liners, accusing me of not reading them, when, IF YOU ACTUALLY READ MY POST, you can see not only did I read them, but I posted the same information myself!

Accusing me of the exact thing you JUST DID?

I will say it again, the pattern is clear. No attempt is being made at an honest discussion. Disinformation is posted, and when it’s debunked, the reply is false accusations, spewed out without even reading the fact check, or even the other poster’s brief summary of the fact check.

Would you be OK with Republicans setting up free food trucks outside polling places? I doubt it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Would you be OK with Republicans setting up free food trucks outside polling places? I doubt it.
This is yet more evidence that you didn’t read the articles that I linked.

The one from Snopes covers your specific question above and if you give it some actual thought, you could see that the Georgia law was unnecessary, since gifts from campaigns intended to sway voters were already illegal there, and also prohibited by federal law. So your imagined scenario, in which Susie Soccer Mom gets free corn dogs and a bud light from a political campaign bus, was already illegal. But you’d know that... if you actually read the article.

If ignorance is bliss, you must be having multiple orgasms right now.

lizkat

Reaction score
I love food trucks no matter who brings them around. I should think food trucks without partisan campaign ads on them shouldn't be a problem... in any state that actually supports civic activity of voting.

Among the spinoffs of the 2022 midterms, states that now have or have maintained a trifecta red governance --governor and both legislative chambers controlled by the GOP-- are likely emboldened anew to passing laws doubling down on Republican themes including limitations on abortion and easing up on gun laws.

Georgia is one of those states. Kemp was re-elected governor and both lawmaking houses stayed red.
This per today's Morning Jolt, a newsletter of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

"FIRED UP. With a second term for Gov. Brian Kemp and GOP control of the Legislature, emboldened gun rights advocates are pushing a new agenda to continue to loosen firearms restrictions in the state.​
The GA2A group, formerly known as GeorgiaCarry.org, said it will now push to lower the minimum age for a state weapons license from 21 to 18, allow gun owners to carry weapons in churches without requiring churches and places of worship to “opt in,” and push to provide immunity from civil liability for property owners who have or allow firearms."​

These lobbyists don't get it that the reason for legislative attempts to reduce ubiquity of guns is because there are too many guns and ammo easily available to too many people with poor judgment, poor control of emotions, lax oversight of stored weapons and ammo.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
This is yet more evidence that you didn’t read the articles that I linked.

The one from Snopes covers your specific question above and if you give it some actual thought, you could see that the Georgia law was unnecessary, since gifts from campaigns intended to sway voters were already illegal there, and also prohibited by federal law. So your imagined scenario, in which Susie Soccer Mom gets free corn dogs and a bud light from a political campaign bus, was already illegal. But you’d know that... if you actually read the article.

If ignorance is bliss, you must be having multiple orgasms right now.

Yet, after all these "voter suppression" changes, turnout was actually up. Even set records. Go figure.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Frisch has conceded.
Frisch stated that although an automatic recount will likely happen under state law, he encouraged supporters to save fundraising $$ for gas, groceries and other causes.

I think he has a strong future and should run again. We need more Frisch's, not Boeberts.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Yet, after all these "voter suppression" changes, turnout was actually up. Even set records. Go figure.
The more Republicans try to suppress the vote, the more motivated the other side becomes. You’d think they would learn their lesson, but considering they went all-in on Trump-backed candidates in 2022 after the disaster of 2020, they aren’t very good at learning lessons. It seems to me ignorance and a refusal to learn is pretty common among Republicans.

Top Bottom
1 2