The 2022 Midterms

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Speaking of campaign finance... now we know part of why the Rs had difficulty at the end in some close US Senate races in 2022. They were doing late ad buys with super PAC money, and the rules are different there (and the ads are more expensive than ads bought by the individual candidates for their campaigns). Yeah: rules matter out in the real world, especially when money is changing hands in the ad revenue business. What a surprise.

When it came to purchasing TV ad time, Democrats' fundraising advantage yielded considerable upside. Ad sellers are required, by law, to offer candidates the cheapest rate. That same advantage doesn't apply to super PACs, which Republican candidates relied on to close their fundraising gap — often at a premium.

In Las Vegas, for example, a candidate could buy a unit of TV advertising for $598, according to advertising figures provided to the AP. That same segment cost a super PAC $4,500. In North Carolina's Raleigh-Durham media market, a $342 spot cost a super PAC $1,270. And a $580 candidate segment in the Philadelphia area cost a super PAC nearly $2,000, the advertising figures show.

Man, are these GOP guys as uninformed as the voter base they like to keep dumbed down, or what?!

And the Dems have weighed in with a little snark after hearing about all that plus a bunch of other intra-party financial hassles the GOP campaign committees laid on each other during the campaign:

Faced with the prospect of solidifying their majority with another seat during a December runoff election in Georgia, Democrats were happy to offer unsolicited guidance to Republicans.

“My advice is to keep on doing what they are doing,” said Michigan Sen. Gary Peters, who led Senate Democrats' campaign arm this year.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Everyone who kissed Trump's ring is now paying the price. Hope it was worth it.

‘Too Toxic’: Dr. Oz’s Ex-TV Producers Blowing Him Off As He Tries To Relaunch TV Career Following Failed Senate Run​

Ex-Surgeon General Jerome Adams says he couldn’t find job after leaving Trump White House​

FUpdmqsWUAAHm5r.jpg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

‘Too Toxic’: Dr. Oz’s Ex-TV Producers Blowing Him Off As He Tries To Relaunch TV Career Following Failed Senate Run​

Ex-Surgeon General Jerome Adams says he couldn’t find job after leaving Trump White House​

FUpdmqsWUAAHm5r.jpg

Consequences.

Happy they still work.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That's fine.

But will you be equally happy if/when it goes the other way?
I personally have no dog in that fight. If I'm being honest I would never condone not hiring someone just because they worked or stumped for Trump, I've even hired people knowing they did. As long as people can separate work from politics I'm all good, not a single person I worked with new mine one way or the other.

At the same time if one is really outspoken about it the company may see that as a risk, on either side of the aisle, so you get why they might be hesitant.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's fine.

Sure. If a TV producer (and their ad brands who pay the TV network's bills, who feel their brands would be sullied and not supported by their TV-watching customers) feels a celebrity who engages in a bunch of social toxicity would be harmful to their success, absolutely.

That's their right. Repub, Dem, Martian, etc. Makes no difference to me (not being a member of any political party).

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
That's fine.

Yeah anyway the Dems should not get too complacent. They are not the only ones who noticed there was no red wave in 2022, but specifically there was no red wave for extremist GOP candidates.

So... some Republicans who ran to the left of far righties in the 2022 GOP primaries for US Senate --and who lost those primary races very narrowly to guys like Oz-- are planning to go around again, especially if Trump's appeal continues to fade and if the state where they ran in 2022 has its other Senate seat up for defense in 2024.

The Rs may see the next national elections as particularly advantageous for them if Biden runs again, because the Dems do also have to defend 23 of 33 Senate seats up for re-election in 2024. So the Rs figure that the DNC and DSCC will have their work cut out for them trying to hold a narrow Senate margin and keep the WH when a presumably younger candidate is running on the GOP top of ticket.

As it happens, the Trump-backed Oz won his prirmary in 2022 in Pennsylvania by only 951 votes. The Republican who lost to Oz is David McCormick, a former hedge fund CEO who may run against Democrat Bob Casey for Pennsylvania's other US Senate seat. Casey has not said whether he will stand for re-election.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
That's fine.

Can you clarify what you’re talking about? Perhaps give an example?

Before I respond, I don’t want to make any incorrect assumptions about what you mean here.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Can you clarify what you’re talking about? Perhaps give an example?

Before I respond, I don’t want to make any incorrect assumptions about what you mean here.

If someone is Ok if a company doesn't want to hire someone that worked in the Trump/(GOP) administration simply because they worked there, would that person also be fine if a company didn't want to hire someone simply because they worked in the Biden/(Dem) administration.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
If someone is Ok if a company doesn't want to hire someone that worked in the Trump/(GOP) administration simply because they worked there, would that person also be fine if a company didn't want to hire someone simply because they worked in the Biden/(Dem) administration.
Thanks for clarifying.

I don’t believe this to be an apples-to-apples comparison. People are not being excluded for working with the Republican Party. They are being excluded for working with Trump.

If a Democratic President incited a mob to attack the Capitol, I would be MORE than ok with that person’s enablers being shunned.

If the Republicans double down on their support of Trump even after all his criminal behavior and damage to the nation he’s caused, then they deserve any “cancelling” they get.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
sure and I am sure it happens all the time. but since the trump admininstration was so full of broken laws and rules and lies and stupidity it brings into question how competent that person is.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don't think it's so much that they worked for him, it's likely what they've said that was politically charged in public. That's a huge risk for any company in today's litigious society.

I've said it before but as a company, anything someone says publicly that is political will literally alienate 50% of your audience, no matter what side you are on as the country is split down the middle. Few companies want to, nor should, take a side.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

For a private company, I think they should be allowed to hire who they want for whatever reasons they wants (assuming they're following all other labor laws). If company A doesn't want to hire person B because of their association with thing C, it's none of my business. If thing C happens to be morally repugnant, then I'd say person B is suffering from making poor life choices in their past.

To put it more in context, if I was a fan of arson, and felt that all life's problems can be solved with a little arson, and even started groups to publicly promote arson, I shouldn't be surprised if I can't find an employer wanting to offer me a position. If a person chooses to associate with a madman, they still have their right to bitch about how unemployable they are, but I still have my right to point and laugh.

I completely removed the political angle because it doesn't really matter to me. I know you bring these fun hypotheticals up all the time. Generally speaking, an asshole is an asshole and my thoughts on that aren't going to change based on their political party. So in this scenario, it's not part of the equation.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I know you bring these fun hypotheticals up all the time.

Except it isn't. Adams can't find a job because he worked for Trump and it seems some are OK with that. I was just wondering if it was fine if it went the other way.

I really don't care. If you take a job or a position that is in the public spotlight, then you made a choice and get what you get.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
They kissed a bucket of :poop::poop::poop::poop: & no one wants to be around them.

For Oz, it's more about people don't want to work with him anymore. He destroyed a brand that he abruptly abandoned. Given all the negativity it already had, associating with a narcissistic, racist asshole isn't a winning combination.

Fox and NewMax are Mango munchers, so the fact that even they don't want to play with him tells you something.

Jenga-headed Jerome was just a horrible person under Mango. He should expect no credible, decent job after his disastrous stint with the narcissistic, racist asshole. Yet he received two well paid, more than decent jobs/positions after getting the boot from Pres. Biden. He's a lying, whining punk. He was another lapdog for Mango. Where are all the Mango munchers that idolize him with their job offers for him? I only feel sorry for Mrs. Adams due to her cancer fight. I hope her husband's pieces of gold aren't Fool's Gold.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Except it isn't. Adams can't find a job because he worked for Trump and it seems some are OK with that. I was just wondering if it was fine if it went the other way.

I really don't care. If you take a job or a position that is in the public spotlight, then you made a choice and get what you get.

Just to be clear, I'd have absolutely no problem if someone from the current admin had issues finding a job afterwards because of their actions now.

If I apply to a place and get turned down, I suck it up and move on. I don't find excuses for why I didn't get the job and raise a big stink about it. Nor do I generally care for the types who do, unless they have a legitimate complaint of course.

I personally don't think an unemployed person who can't find a job is news worthy of reporting on. But that's another topic. 😆

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
It would depend what the person did for Trump. If he were, for instance, some mid-level safety administrator in the FAA, then I wouldn't hold his working for the Trump administration against him. If he were someone who had a more visible role and was constantly defending every outrageous/illegal thing Trump did, then I am ok with a company not hiring him just for that reason. Who would want to hire someone who is dishonest?

As for your analogy with the Biden administration, it's hard to come up with a comparable situation as Biden didn't incite a riot to block the peaceful transfer of power or steal highly classified documents. If a company wouldn't hire a person because he, for instance, backed Biden's policy of forgiving student loans, then I would have a problem with that but it would be within the company's right to do so, provided no employment laws were being broken.

Top Bottom
1 2